Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap Training Wetsuit
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice. Having some wetsuit races coming up, and not wanting to destroy my lovely Helix in the chlorine, I thought I'd get a cheapo one for pool training.

Has anyone else done this and can they comment if other blueseventy (particularly the lower end ones) wetsuits fit the same as the Helix. I understand the materials/construction/panel thickness will be subtly different, I just want it to fit mostly the same.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Training Wetsuit [discostu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an old sleeveless Pro Motion one that has held up for 14 years. Not pricey and has made it through a bunch of pool swims and lots of races. Now gets used in the pool when the kids want to go in and I'm too wimpy to deal with the cold. Not as flexible as the newer/pricier stuff, but for a budget suit it has done it's job. Keep in mind it's sleeveless, so I can't speak to how their full suits feel.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Training Wetsuit [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the full sleeve is probably a necessity. I just want to avoid too that claustrophobic feeling when you put on a tight wetsuit for the first time in a while, and if it helps the body position and speed a little as well, all the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pool where the temp is kept cool enough to even make a wetsuit applicable/ safe? If yes, I'd say go with one of the Xterra models. There's always a sale or discount. I don't think anyone pays full price for them.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a brand new suit with a full warranty, high visibility for swim safety and a great looking training suit-for $170-

http://orca.com/...s-openwater-wetsuit/

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Training Wetsuit [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure of the exact temps, but I'm in Australia and most pools are open air, they always seems cooler than the indoor ones (unless it's crazy hot outside).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Training Wetsuit [stageracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Training Wetsuit [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The orange is sublimated on white neoprene; thus it does not turn a darker color when immersed in water

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but you do realize that 1% of the population can't see orange/red against say a green background. So if you are opening water swimming, and you have a boat driver who is reg/green colorblind, they won't even be able to see the arms turning over - in that case black would be a better choice. In reality, yellow is a visible color as far as I know, red/orange, not always.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I get your logic. I would counter that the USCG and most; if not all of the world's lifesaving associations would disagree with your assessment of what constitutes a better visibility; black vs orange/red. There's a reason that those colors are used in almost all safety devices.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stageracer wrote:
I'm not sure I get your logic. I would counter that the USCG and most; if not all of the world's lifesaving associations would disagree with your assessment of what constitutes a better visibility; black vs orange/red. There's a reason that those colors are used in almost all safety devices.

I think you missed my point. Let me try again, as a left-handed individual I come across numerous things daily that I can tell were designed by a righty (most of the worlds peeps). Desks in school are the number one thing I think of with the support only on the right. Now, if some body creates a standard and nobody understands the perspective of 5% of the worlds population that are not right-handed then the 5% just get screwed. To the average person yes orange/red is way better than black, except for the population that have no chance to see orange/red like those up against a green background. They can't see it at all - in that case you might as well be totally blind. Yellow would have been a better color IMO.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the OP:

This is a good time of year to look. In the US and online, most retailers will be starting to close out 2015 suits right now.

To Thomas, Kurt (..?),

To be fair, I think that what Thomas is saying is correct to a degree. Folks who are color blind will have trouble with spotting someone in red/ orange. However, chances are that in an even remotely choppy water situation, it becomes very very difficult to see someone no matter what the person in the water is wearing. Something colorful period is a step in the right direction. That said, I doubt there is a perfect color for everybody. For example, on a sunny day the neon yellows would be bad due to the reflection of the sun. Just my $.02...

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get your point, although I don't get the left hand analogy...but you're not taking into consideration the color fastness of yellow sublimation on neoprene; which is very different than in other materials such as Lycra. Lighter colors like yellow, neons, etc. fade extremely fast with UV light; even with today's better ink and sublimation technologies. I've worn wetsuits for 40 years and I've seen yellow and neon come in and out of style in surfing wetsuits and I can tell you they look like crap after just a few months of exposure to sun.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Training Wetsuit [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take your $0.02 since you spent enough time looking on the water in your ocean rescue days.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Training Wetsuit [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't realise I'd opened a hornet's nest on the topic of high visibility wetsuits. As to my requirements, it'd be just for pool use and the occasional lake swim where no powered craft are allowed. The most threatening thing to me would be magpies and the occasional over exuberant SUPer.

Returning to my original question, its more of do people find that the same companies wetsuits fit more or less the same across their product lines?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas- I dropped you a pm about that Cat 5 wetsuit.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply