Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too?
Quote | Reply
Alright, we're getting near the end of the season.. Its still a bit of time until November/December, where most would start building for the next season. September and October is what I'm looking to talk about here, what are your plans to stay fit / lose fitness / gain fitness over these next few months?

Options include:
- Rest (get fat / drink beer)
- Cross train
- Group ride season!
- #CrossIsHere
- MEGA MILES
- 2 x 20 sweetspot 5 days a week.
- OTHER (please explain)

Personally will be looking to do a bit of all of these (besides the mega miles). There is a fall Velodrome series near me (Rock Hill, SC) and the Cyclocross scene in NC is pretty good so I guess I'll go out and make a fool out of myself a few weekends. Probably stick to 2 to 3 x 20's on the trainer during the week with a L5/6 session every 10 days or so if I don't have anything else hard during that period. And yea, get fat and drink beer.

What say you?

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [aidanlynch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pertinent to my interests. I'm planning to get involved with my university's cycling team and hopefully compete along with some tris.

2x20 sweet spot? Shouldn't it be 2x20 @ FTP? I would much rather sweet spot because I plan on doing a lot over the next few months.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy26: Aug 30, 15 15:30
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
2x20 sweet spot? Shouldn't it be 2x20 @ FTP? I would much rather sweet spot because I plan on doing a lot over the next few months.

Depends on what else you're doing. Over several weeks it would be impossible to handle 2 x 20 @ FTP 5 days per week, but 2 x 20 (or 3 x 20) @ sweetspot is a pretty solid workout that you can log several days in a row that does a pretty good job at maintaining (or even increasing) general fitness in the offseason without logging a bajillion miles/hours.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [aidanlynch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my vote is for #crossishere but I'm incredibly biased. 'Cross is that epitome of people who want to race as hard as they can for 30 minutes to an hour, but aren't afraid to chow down on donuts, beer or whatever food truck/delicious tasting product is at the finish line. I've seen Cat 1 guys express their hangover at the start line like it was no big deal and nobody thought negatively of the dude *who still crushed the race and top 5'd in a 25 man field*

A full season of cross and either jumping into 'cross nats if you are old enough/own a SS bike is the way to go man. You can do everything else you said but if you haven't ever done a 'cross race it's seriously the most fun you can have on two wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another #CrossIsHere vote. A ton of fun without the pressures of racing. While the two might share very little I think you'd be surprised at how CX can help increase your bike handling/riding abilities. You've got 6mo before road racing starts, don't confine yourself to the trainer just yet!
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Another #CrossIsHere vote. A ton of fun without the pressures of racing. While the two might share very little I think you'd be surprised at how CX can help increase your bike handling/riding abilities. You've got 6mo before road racing starts, don't confine yourself to the trainer just yet!

This. Besides, cross has become competitive enough that if you so desire you can make another season or even mini season of it and go head to head against the local cyclists. When I was full into tri it was still nice to race up against the local roadies and compete for the state championships. It's definitely a better atmosphere than any road race you'll ever attend. Close to mountain bike racing, but that takes the cake for ultimate awesomeness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to sit on the couch and eat for 3 months. My 44 year old body is hurting after a long hard and productive season but 3 days of that would drive me nuts. I'll probably do a lot of easy pace trail running and weekend century rides which will probably include beer afterwards. And not that shitty light beer crap but really good Wisconsin craft beers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
September and October are MOUNTAIN BIKE SEASON! WooT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aidanlynch wrote:
Alright, we're getting near the end of the season.. Its still a bit of time until November/December, where most would start building for the next season. September and October is what I'm looking to talk about here, what are your plans to stay fit / lose fitness / gain fitness over these next few months?

Options include:
- Cross train
- Group ride season!
- #CrossIsHere
- MEGA MILES
- OTHER (please explain)

Personally will be looking to do a bit of all of these (besides the mega miles). There is a fall Velodrome series near me (Rock Hill, SC) and the Cyclocross scene in NC is pretty good so I guess I'll go out and make a fool out of myself a few weekends. Probably stick to 2 to 3 x 20's on the trainer during the week with a L5/6 session every 10 days or so if I don't have anything else hard during that period. And yea, get fat and drink beer.

What say you?

i say whatever you've done in the past has obviously been good enough to get you to cat-1. why change what has worked?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fall is the best time for long mellow rides where you look at trees instead of your power meter and chat with your riding buddies rather than trying to drop them. A lot of people around here like cross and I've done it, but I would rather go do a nice long fall ride as opposed to driving an hour to fight for a corner then race 45 minutes at 14 mph, then drive home.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^ This ^^^

Social, relaxed, enjoyable...nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#crossiscoming

Nothing else like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not repeat last off season (OTHER - Get hit by a car).

Past that, a mix of the last four options, will try a few cross races, group rides with a prospective team and some more focused TT workouts.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be doing anything with 2-3x20s in Sept. or Oct. Ugh.

Maybe Dec. Maybe.

I'll just get out and ride. Go for some KOMs if I'm feeling spiffy. Not give a f***, much.

I spent the whole season getting in shape. Not going to start again 2 weeks after it finishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pretty good crit racer and I say these two. Although if you're into #CrossIsHere, thats cool too. I just can't stay motivated to race from March to December.
aidanlynch wrote:
- Group ride season!
- MEGA MILES

Fall is too soon to start in on focused, targeted training so I love to log long rides with groups. Keeps the form there and reminds you why you're biking in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
Fall is the best time for long mellow rides where you look at trees instead of your power meter and chat with your riding buddies rather than trying to drop them. A lot of people around here like cross and I've done it, but I would rather go do a nice long fall ride as opposed to driving an hour to fight for a corner then race 45 minutes at 14 mph, then drive home.

This..

Look at files after the week to ensure a CTL around 45-60.. not necessarily worried about power or specifics at all.. just want to keep it reasonable so I can start next year with a decent base.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
- OTHER (please explain)

Gettin' SWOLE!
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not have the low end torque to be competitive with the A cross racers here and I am ok with that.

Gravel road season for me - long endurance ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
August I have been really chill, especially since the last 3 weeks have been spent recovering from a concussion from a crash. Normally I don't ratchet it down too much at this time of year but am making an effort to do so. The next four weeks are my time to go ride whatever I want before our formal team rides start up. I've been spending some time on my CX bike exploring whatever trails, logging roads, etc I can get my hands on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is hunting season, fill your freezer with nature's wonderful meats and enjoy the outdoors. Do some easy riding/running/swimming during the week.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#Crossishere Cross is time to play on the bike and have fun... yes, it is technically in a race, and it can feel like you're having a heart attack for an hour, but it's a way to mix up terrain, surface, etc... Also have a few running races sandwhiched in as well (a beer run (brewery to brewery race 5 over 14.5km, samples at each), a 5km and a half upcoming, and of course and end of season beer mile). Only did a couple of crits this season and a couple of road races, and one Duathlon, so I feel like there's still gas in the tank at this point in the season....

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mega miles! combined with some sprint intervals here & there and lower body weights. I sprint like a nancy and that is goal number uno this off-season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aidanlynch wrote:

Options include:
- Cross train
- Group ride season!
- #CrossIsHere
- MEGA MILES
- OTHER (please explain)

What say you?

As a fellow NC'er I'd definitely push strongly for the cross season. I have always primarily been a triathlete but this next 8-12 months will mix it up quite a bit, including my first few cross races, which I'm very excited about. Lots of good mtb racing as well, depending on where you are.

But if you want to be GOOD at cross, I wouldn't say doing 2x20s at sweet spot will really help you that much, probably.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CB3 wrote:
Mega miles! combined with some sprint intervals here & there and lower body weights. I sprint like a nancy and that is goal number uno this off-season

I would adjust your recommendation and suggest slightly reduced miles with a serious focus on higher end power. This is a time to work on your power weakness and build up the key power numbers 10sec, 30sec, 1min, 5min. To do this you need to be fresh during workouts to hit the intensity, to do this you need to slightly reduce volume in my opinion. Possibly 15-20% or so from peak spring/summer volume. Still do a long ride each week and either a cross race or race intensity group ride every 10-15 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling All Crit Racers.. And I guess roadies and triathletes too? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So say I dropped from 250 miles a week to 200 miles a week and add in another intensity focused workout? or perhaps drop even farther to 150 miles a week and try to fit in 3 higher intensity/short rides? I'm typically a shoe-in for saturday 3-4 hours that reads like a tempo ride (long ride is definitely not my easy ride of the week).
Quote Reply

Prev Next