Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Automatically retaining .fit files from Garmin devices
Quote | Reply
Is there any way to automatically save or export .fit files from my garmin 510 without actually plugging it into a PC? I know I can do auto uploads from GC to Strava, and bulk export the .gpx files from Strava but those files are HUGE compared to the .fit.

Just looking for a shortcut instead of having to plug the 510 into the PC all the time. I know the 510 can store a lot, but the BT uploads don't work well for me once I have more than 10 or so files saved.
Quote Reply
Re: Automatically retaining .fit files from Garmin devices [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tapiriik (https://tapiriik.com) could sync the fit files to Dropbox
Quote Reply
Re: Automatically retaining .fit files from Garmin devices [Kellermanns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know how to sync the .fit files specifically. It's syncing the .tcx files right now and each file is several 2-10 MB compared to 30-150 KB for .fit files.
Quote Reply
Re: Automatically retaining .fit files from Garmin devices [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a wonderful couple of months where my online Garmin Connect wasn't working, and Garmin Express (the PC app) would just pile the .fit files up in a directory rather than posting them to Connect. It was great because it let me actually control my files rather than re-downloading them from connect.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason garmin connect resumed working a month ago and now express auto-deletes the .fit files as soon as it grabs them from my 310XT and uploads them.

If you're looking to simply save space, you could zip them or store them in a compressed folder.. Being XML files, TCX and GPX files will compress extremely well.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Aug 28, 15 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just verified - tcx files only
Quote Reply
Re: Automatically retaining .fit files from Garmin devices [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:

Unfortunately, for whatever reason garmin connect resumed working a month ago and now express auto-deletes the .fit files as soon as it grabs them from my 310XT and uploads them.

Have you got the box checked to "delete after upload" or something like that? There used to be a check box in GE but I can't see it now, but I am using a 920 so it might be different. Garmin Express should not be removing the data files from your device without you giving it 'permission' to do so. Check your device for a setting otherwise contact Garmin Support.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Automatically retaining .fit files from Garmin devices [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
AHare wrote:

Have you got the box checked to "delete after upload" or something like that? There used to be a check box in GE but I can't see it now, but I am using a 920 so it might be different. Garmin Express should not be removing the data files from your device without you giving it 'permission' to do so. Check your device for a setting otherwise contact Garmin Support.

They're probably still on the device (I don't really care if they're on the device or not). The thing I was enjoying was that they were remaining on my computer after GE grabbed them off the device and attempted to upload them.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Automatically retaining .fit files from Garmin devices [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The files should still be on your PC if you have the latest version of Garmin Express. https://support.garmin.com/...d5f4-000000000000%7D

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply