Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Wisconsin - Mequon area - Where should I live?
Quote | Reply
I am moving up to Wisconsin for a new job that is located in Mequon, WI. I am trying to figure out a good place for a Triathlete to live. Looking for the normal stuff: Pools, running/riding trails, riding routes, etc...

Area's I've looked at for apartments: Germantown, Brown Deer, and Cedarburg area.

I'm male, no kids or wife, so schools don't matter as much, in case that helps with the search criteria.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide!
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Wisconsin - Mequon area - Where should I live? [Shanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I will admit, I miss having some of those country roads where traffic is light and there are some nice rolling hills (not so much the case here in Orlando). I lived about 20 miles west of Milwaukee for high school and then ran at Marquette for college. There are so many fantastic state parks throughout southern Wisconsin that are great for trail runs and for XC skiing in the winter, as well as some of them having clean swim-friendly lakes for OWS workouts. The Mequon area is a bit north of where I lived and trained, but you will have no problem finding great roads and trails to run and bike on. My parents still own a place in the Slinger/West Bend area to the northwest of Mequon, fantastic training on quiet roads and access to Big Cedar Lake for swims. And a few small ski slopes in the winter.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Wisconsin - Mequon area - Where should I live? [Shanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live a few miles west of those options, in cycling Heaven, around Holy Hill. Cedarburg is quaint. Brown Deer is a little too urban for my tastes. Germantown has a great mix of areas. North or West of Germantown offers many great riding opportunities, as it is out in the country.
There is a great rail trail called the Interurban Trail for running. That trail goes through the areas you questioned. Check out Tri Wisconsin for a good Tri group. This group is pretty active in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Wisconsin - Mequon area - Where should I live? [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Looks like I'll end up in Germantown, a few of the other apartment rentals don't have anything open until Mid-Sept, at least the ones I was eyeing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Mequon and still come up on weekends to train. Def join the Tri Wisconsin group, they usually have some sort of workout during the weekdays. There is also a group ride that leaves out of Mequon on Wed nights for 40 or so miles at a decent clip. The local bike shop also has a Sat or Sun group ride too. DM me and I can give you more specifics if you want them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Mequon (just between Brown Deer and Bayside), moved here 4 years ago; I'd recommend you to also look either on Bayside (Fox Point) or Thiensville for additional options. Would avoid Brown Deer all together. Plenty of quiet roads for cycling going North, Northwest, and West, the issue in some cases might be the condition of some of the roads due to the harsh winters. Pools are accessible either through private clubs (Elite, WAC), or YMCA. Mequon is a great place to live, plenty of races within 1.5-2hrs, there are also at least 3-4 great bike shops around the area

Let me know n case you have any specific questions
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Wisconsin - Mequon area - Where should I live? [Trimex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response!

I ended up getting a condo in Germantown. 20' west of where I'll be working and renting from a new co-worker. Other places I was looking at were not open until the 15th and I needed the 1st.

I will for sure join up with Tri Wisconsin and start hitting up some group workouts to learn new routes and meet some new folks... considering I don't know anyone up there haha. Hope to see you out there and thanks again for the tips!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a change of scenery, come on over to Madison. We'd love to show you the options here too. Both cities have great tri scenes. Welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Wisconsin - Mequon area - Where should I live? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm sure I'll make a few trips over there, I spectated IMWI a few years ago and it's a beautiful town!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's always someone top ride or swim with it seems as well. Hope you enjoy the new spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your single love at the east side of downtown, killer group rides from downtown every Tuesday, Thursday and Sat.....lots of run and swim options. Plus the night life is off the hook.....or you could hang out in G-town with all the old people and families polishing thier lawns.
Quote Reply