Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro Women - no discs? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am unsure it is an information problem either. I am suggesting that they simply don't care and you would suggest they can't sift through the evidence, at worst they are either apathetic or stupid according to the two of us. Let me clarify my question; if you are winning races running non-discs against competitors who are, what is the motivation to change a winning strategy? I don't think that they can't sort out which information is reliable or not or that people are concerned about the handling, you could simply rent a disc and see for yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Women - no discs? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the one picture is from 2011---I had no access to a disc then. From the middle of 2013- present I have always ridden a disc. Even at races like Escape from Alcatraz.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Pro Women - no discs? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously I was using a blatant logical fallacy to illustrate my point, I don't think the average female pro is either apathetic (to a certain point) or stupid. Therefore; another possibility must exist. Either the motivating factor isn't there (I am winning on this so screw the expensive disc) or equipment confidence is tied to familiarity and the athlete would rather compete on what he/she is familiar and comfortable with. It isn't as if putting on a disc turns an average pro into a star; the gains are very marginal even in the best conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Women - no discs? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they just don't want to buy one? There isn't as much money in women's triathlon. A disc isn't that much faster than a deep rear wheel and a disc also isn't legal to ride at every race. Maybe a lot of them are just making the economic decision to only get a deep rear and use that year round?

I have no explanation if they have a disc and choose not to run it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Women - no discs? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$100 for a wheel cover seems like it eliminates both the cost factor and the few races that don't allow it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Women - no discs? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like at least a couple of women were running discs on Sunday including the third place finisher.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Women - no discs? [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
In most cases the disc rules, but if someone feels more comfortable and confident without one (for whatever reason), they may perform better mentally.

Completely agree - you need to stick with what you are comfortable with. My original comment was regarding the suggestion that some ladies don't like the way a disc looks. If that is the only reason for a pro not using a disc then I stand by my "idiot" comment.
Quote Reply

Prev Next