Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike Airspeed and Yaw on Montreal's F1 Track [Ahillock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I feel like this has become a "best histogram plot" contest. :-) Nice work, folks!

We have to be careful interpreting this data. Montreal's F1 track has a 4ft concrete wall around most of it. That's going to impact ground-level wind considerably.

But, yes, we have generally found that rides with more than half of the time spent over 5deg yaw are quite rare. I'm sure Kona will be the exception, rather than the rule.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Airspeed and Yaw on Montreal's F1 Track [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I've heard -10 to + 10

I was basing it off of remembering this article with Josh Poertner while he was still at Zipp. You could also be correct.

Quote:
With enough time and enough money we can make it optimal wherever we choose. And we believe this more reality based statistical probability model of wind angle, we really shoot to be peak efficiency between 10 and 15 degrees, and have your peak minimum drag in that range. And I think the reality, the GPS data, the teams testing it, the power measurements off the bike, time seems to be proving our picture of wind angle probability to be more correct.
http://nyvelocity.com/...ineer-josh-poertner/
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Airspeed and Yaw on Montreal's F1 Track [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
Wow, I feel like this has become a "best histogram plot" contest. :-) Nice work, folks!

We have to be careful interpreting this data. Montreal's F1 track has a 4ft concrete wall around most of it. That's going to impact ground-level wind considerably.

But, yes, we have generally found that rides with more than half of the time spent over 5deg yaw are quite rare. I'm sure Kona will be the exception, rather than the rule.

I didn't mean to jump to conclusions. Just thought the data was interesting and coincides with other data and analysis of data that I have heard.

I realize the limitations of this data, but it is still interesting to see and look at. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, it is very fun to not have to wonder about yaw angles anymore. We've been doing this for 4 years, now, and it's time to start showing the data off to you folks.

I think that collectively we can find the right use for this data. It's not just for manufacturers.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget though that this track is sort of "shielded" by walls/fences/trees. In light of that, it's remarkable that the yaw distribution is as wide as it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Airspeed and Yaw on Montreal's F1 Track [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, no doubt. I mentioned there were limitations to this data. But it is still interesting. Even on the road you are shielded by passing vehicles or buildings, trees, fences...etc.

Would be interesting to see if Andy has any data taken from out on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
But, yes, we have generally found that rides with more than half of the time spent over 5deg yaw are quite rare.
I didn't download the data but it also looked like average speed wasn't all that high. At normal TT race speeds the yaw angles would get even lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Airspeed and Yaw on Montreal's F1 Track [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way, Cervelo actually know what they're doing?!?!?

;)

Would love to see some distributions just based on your overall data combined (riding on the road, etc)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Airspeed and Yaw on Montreal's F1 Track [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
I didn't download the data but it also looked like average speed wasn't all that high. At normal TT race speeds the yaw angles would get even lower.

Hey, I was going as fast as I could, ok!!! ;-)

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
Hey, I was going as fast as I could, ok!!! ;-)
Where's the like button?! I used a car for my little project ;)

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next