Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
I'm going to go on record and say just going with this odd distance (as opposed to a full and a half) is an even worse idea. There was what, 150 full and 400 half (not counting relays).

I "think" they're making an assumption most willing to do the half will do the odd distance (that won't be the case) and that the full is more or less dead and they might pick up some of them (some being the keyword). I have a sneaking suspicion that 550 solo racers number is about to drop a lot more. I give them points for trying but they're grasping at straws here. They just made a regional at best event even less of a big deal.

If only Penticton had Doc Brown's Delorean and could do 2012 all over again.

I agree with Fleck that the 3/120/30 distance is arguably a better distance but it's not common. The 70.3 and 140.6 distances are deeply rooted in our sport and, as much as some of you don't want to admit it, those distances sell. Odd distance races just don't, and it's not like Challenge Penticton has ever set the world on fire. The iconic thoughts of Penticton as a triathlon mecca of some sorts is long gone. I have a feeling they just pushed most of their potential full distance customers to Whistler or Couer d'Alene and many of their half distance people to whatever IM 70.3 races are in the region.

Despite my many posts bashing Challenge, I'd love to see them do well. Their North American marketing strategy has just been laughably bad from day one. WTC doesn't even have to counterprogram against Challenge anymore. Challenge seemingly can't wait to trip over their own dick at every opportunity.

I suspect you are right but there is some limited precedent for success. When Sweden was awarded the 2015 ITU World Long Course Championships they established the Vattern Triathlon in 2012 so they could get the logistics worked out 3 years in a row before the actual championship. Apparently that race has established itself and will continue although most participants are Danish and Swedish and there aren't as many competing venues. On the other hand, the North American market is more hung up on the 70.3 and 140.6 distance. I recall when the 101 distance was established in North America and quickly died. But I bet a lot of folks that want to compete in the 2017 Long Course Worlds at Penticton may try out the course in 2016. The problem for Penticton is they are probably only changing the distance for two years then presumably going back to standard long course in 2018 -- a different market from 2016/17. Changing distances midstream doesn't seem to be the right way to establish consistency and build a loyal market. I had guessed when they were awarded the ITU Worlds that they would run both formats within the same week. For example, in 2008, ITU worlds long course distance was held the day after the well established Holland Triathlon (140.6) - so a full on Saturday, then the Nice distance on Sunday for the Championship. The next year, it was back just to the Holland Triathlon (now Challenge Almere-Holland).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my twelfth time doing the race in Penticton.

The failure of live tracking was a major failure.

I did the full. I am normally a near-the-back-of-the-pack participant. On Sunday, I was far closer to the back than usual for me.

Bike was tough with the winds. Nutrition was off because I didn't pay attention to how much longer it actually took me. I shutdown on the run at 14km (yeah, right after the turn up Main St). I finally got fuel back into my legs around 22km. By then I knew my time was way off normal. When I passed the timing mat somewhere on Lakeside/Eastside Road I stopped and asked the guys how long it would be for the website to be updated. Their response, "We will try to have the times up shortly after you finish." What? No live updating? "No". Somewhere around 38km, I stopped a woman who was walking down the street listening to her iPhone. I had her text my family to update them. It turned out that was the first time they had known all day what was happening.

Mike and Kevin, and crew, need to get that fixed for future events. Not everyone travels with their entire family and friends to events. Other events have it working…it is the new normal.

And to echo another comment…It was EXCELLENT to be able to get the dry clothes bag right there at the finish line. WARMTH! And I was able to get my phone and let people know I was okay…or at least I was across the finish line and not in a medical tent somewhere.

The new course…I could get used to it. But I guess I won't get the chance. I expected the bike to be harder than the most recent course (does anyone remember when it was an out and back over Richter? The course went over Richter westbound, through the Seven Sisters, then turned around on the highway and went back eastbound over Richter). I expected the run to be easier than the old course. I think they were.

Kudos to everyone who did the race. KUDOS to all the volunteers and spectators who helped us do the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, traveling, haven't gotten through all replies yet (maybe this point has already been covered). But as to "no support on the full", I disagree. I never got to do IM Canada when it was here, but 11 (eleven!) aid stations on the bike is not "no support". In fact, I think it's excessive, but to each their own. Each run aid station was manned. If you need thousands of cheering fans, then sure, this event fell short.

But yes, athlete tracking was miserable. So was the food, athlete dinner before and breakfast after. I'm fairly sure cardboard would have been tastier than the 'pancakes' they offered. My boyfriend also said there was no security for transition; which is always disappointing to hear.

No doubt it's not the Iron man experience (as compared to the other events I've done.)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See post 32 on this thread. I was not there. But it looks like not everyone agrees with our assessment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volunteers where great. Aid stations super. There is always some confusion.

At 6:00am (full started at 6:30am), Steve King was asking that the volunteer for the eye-glass table to please report with a table (?). At 6:05 he was asking again…someone slept in?
Not all the run stations at soup towards the end. And those that did, it was stone cold (would have been okay on a 30c afternoon run rather than 15c at night).

Yes, some lacking in volunteers, oops for aid stations, but not that unusual for races. Even WTC events…

I do miss potato chips though. They don't serve potato chips in Penticton…
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [stephengrady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what the wind speed was? I asked while biking by a spectator who said, "a lot", but was hoping for something more specific.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [stephengrady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the inaugural full. The ball was dropped big time in 2013 and I don't think they're ever going to be able to recover or build the race now. Nice venue, but it may be too late to salvage after the original organizers zombied their way through staging it.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [SWFC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that little trek was worth it when I got to hold my baby girl across the Finish line.

This is the only reason I would do a challenge race. WTC should find a solution to this so that family members can run across with their loved ones. I thought several times of grabbing my daughter at IM Muskoka full and 70.3 and taking the DQ. Trust me, I was in nobodies way. ;)

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Last edited by: redtdi: Sep 4, 15 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redtdi wrote:
And that little trek was worth it when I got to hold my baby girl across the Finish line.

This is the only reason I would do a challenge race. WTC should find a solution to this so that family members can run across with their loved ones. I thought several times of grabbing my daughter at IM Muskoka full and 70.3 and taking the DQ. Trust me, I was in nobodies way. ;)

I am glad that there is an alternative for people who want to do this, but I am strongly against it in WTC races. Once you have over 2K finishers, it is already difficult to get a clean shot for your finish photo let alone having folks insisting on bringing in family members. Challenge's lack of success is the very reason you were in nobodies way. WTC's policy of DQing folks who do this IS the right solution; and it wasn't until their races got too big, and the complaints increased, that they adopted this policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Does anyone know what the wind speed was? I asked while biking by a spectator who said, "a lot", but was hoping for something more specific.

The Weather Network reports for Oliver and Osoyoos the maximum wind was <31 km/h, which I guess means more than 30 but less than 31 (?). They show maximum for Penticton was 63 km/h.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I wonder though, if the units are off?
30 and 63 kph translate to 19 and 39 mph.
After some digging I found reports of 19 kph winds and 30-42 kph gusts, which translate to 12 and 19-26 mph .
Of course, every weather report differs a bit...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Thanks. I wonder though, if the units are off?
30 and 63 kph translate to 19 and 39 mph.
After some digging I found reports of 19 kph winds and 30-42 kph gusts, which translate to 12 and 19-26 mph .
Of course, every weather report differs a bit...

Site did specify km/h. Guess it depends on where the measurements were taken (?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air speed is measured at the respective airports osoyoos had wind gusts of 52 kph. I think the problem was the tailwind after osoyoos up the richter did not benefit us much then when we got to the rollers it was another head wind. Dave matheson who lead the race figured it was a 75% head wind for the entire day. I'm using that as one of my excuses.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton going to ITU Long distance for 2 years [arca_tern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what happened, but she was not injured.
Saw her out running that evening along Lakeshore Drive, casual pace, but I didn't see anything wrong.
Also she was dancing up a storm at the finish line 11pm(ish).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply

Prev Next