Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [bluefever] [ In reply to ]

bluefever wrote:
JMike wrote:
ridinggiants wrote:
I know people are going to interpret my comment as defending Julie Miller but I will say this anyway. Julie Miller has a SICKNESS. Julie Miller's actions are consistent with mental illness. Many have expressed their inability to understand why she would do what she has done. That is because we all live in the realm of good mental health. She clearly does not. I completely understand the anger and frustration of those who have been harmed by Julie Miller's actions. Julie Miller is actually one of them.

To me Julie Miller's actions point up a couple of things: the need for better tracking of athletes in races; the need for better understanding of mental illness.

Shaming, public or other, does nothing to achieve either of those.

Very well said. Unfortunately in this day and age, 'shaming' and 'calling out' are all the rage. This woman has problems, cheating in triathlons is probably the least of them.

Totally disagree. People are reponsible for what they do. Whether they need help or not.

Reading comprehension.

I don't see anyplace that either of those posters said cheaters aren't responsible for their actions. They said that the type of actions being discussed indicate some degree of mental illness. I posted in the deleted thread that mental health is like physical health. Physical ranges from healthy to the common cold to terminal illness. Mental health ranges from well adjusted to mildly dysfunctional to complete psychosis. In all cases, there are consequences that accompany the conditions.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Last edited by: TriMyBest: Aug 28, 15 13:21

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]

At what point does behavior indicate mental illness? There is not a person I have met, who has not knowingly bent rules/truth, either when they felt they had justification, or simply when not in a circumstance to be held accountable. I would have thought the only way to know someones mental fitness, is to establish if they truly believe what they are saying, and I can't imagine we can establish that so easily from behind our keyboards. I can't see how speculation of mental state is productive, I can imagine many ways in which public character speculation is destructive.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]

TriMyBest wrote:
bluefever wrote:
JMike wrote:
ridinggiants wrote:
I know people are going to interpret my comment as defending Julie Miller but I will say this anyway. Julie Miller has a SICKNESS. Julie Miller's actions are consistent with mental illness. Many have expressed their inability to understand why she would do what she has done. That is because we all live in the realm of good mental health. She clearly does not. I completely understand the anger and frustration of those who have been harmed by Julie Miller's actions. Julie Miller is actually one of them.

To me Julie Miller's actions point up a couple of things: the need for better tracking of athletes in races; the need for better understanding of mental illness.

Shaming, public or other, does nothing to achieve either of those.

Very well said. Unfortunately in this day and age, 'shaming' and 'calling out' are all the rage. This woman has problems, cheating in triathlons is probably the least of them.

Totally disagree. People are reponsible for what they do. Whether they need help or not.

Reading comprehension.

I don't see anyplace that either of those posters said cheaters aren't responsible for their actions. They said that the type of actions being discussed indicate some degree of mental illness. I posted in the deleted thread that mental health is like physical health. Physical ranges from healthy to the common cold to terminal illness. Mental health ranges from well adjusted to mildly dysfunctional to complete psychosis. In all cases, there are consequences that accompany the conditions.

Lol, people are armchair diagnosing mental illness.
Last edited by: bluefever: Aug 28, 15 23:20

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]

The number of posts per day to slowtwitch one has is a great indicator of mental illness......

Just came back from two days at Montana State Prison and had to sit in on parole hearings. According to you guys here, all of them I saw are suffering from mental illness.................Nah....I dont think so

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Kenney] [ In reply to ]

the problem here is that it could be (mental illness) and just as equally could not be - one guy puts a claw hammer through the back of someones head because the voices told him to, another because he enjoys it - she could cheat for any number of reasons - illness or not, whats pretty clear is that anyone of us displays inconsistent behaviour on a multitude of fronts as Slowman alluded to in his own post on the issue - none of us know why she did it, and whilst many of us may find it inexplicable I don't think its going to get solved here

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]

This is where I thought the other thread went off the rails. We do not know if she is mentally ill or not. She just might like to win at all costs, which is not necessarily mental illness.

Calling someone a cheat is one thing (and the evidence is pretty air tight on that one if I'm the judge) but calling them crazy is another.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]

Sure, and all the people voicing mental illness here, if the lost their job to feed their family by her cheating at the work place, I doubt would be saying this.

Re: More Julie Miller ... this time the Vancouver Half 2014 [Kenney] [ In reply to ]

this seems to be a good time to wind this thread down. for those who want to discuss in theory the mindset of course cutters - which we have done in the past - you are free to start a new thread and do so. for those who want to remain abreast of what might transpire in the julie miller situation, there is a thread for that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next