Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Quietest bike trainer [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My CycleOps Super Mag Pro is near silent. The drive train is much louder than the trainer itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest bike trainer [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a Cycleops Jet Fluid Trainer today at my LBS. I have to say it was a lot quieter than I'd expected. A guy I train pinged me today that he has a KK that he's never unboxed (crappy downstairs neighbors who complain a lot) so he might unload it on me for a good price. Perhaps what I'll do is get that one and see how it goes. I think you guys are pretty right about a fan potentially being louder that some of these suckers. If the KK is similar to the CycleOps Jet then I should be good, noise-wise. We'll see. I did like the ease of install with the CycleOps. Took 3 seconds to get the bike on and ready. It felt weird spinning up though, not at all natural. Guess I'll have to get used to that with a trainer.

I like the idea of rollers but I really zone out when I'm running on a treadmill and watching movies and hence can go for a couple hours. I'm hoping to do the same on the trainer. If I'm zoning out on rollers, well that's not gonna end pretty. And it won't be silent.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest bike trainer [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh yeah, I dunno why people say the KK is quiet. Its not. Don't get me wrong, compared to a Computrainer, its silent, but it certainly isn't something I'd want above me.

I've owned the 1upusa, KK and Kreitler rollers. The 1up is considerably quieter BUT - at efforts close to 100w. Pushing it up to 200-300watts, and they're all noisy. That said, I kept the KK and sold my 1upusa. Its way more stable and feels better. The 1upusa needs some maintenance if you use it a lot.

I think there was a good post a while back here explaining how its not the reverberations, but rather the "padding" in the room which makes the trainer sound louder. Carpeting helps, as does furniture...

Btw did you read dcrainmaker's trainer review?
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest bike trainer [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should probably have added I'm on a basement level apartment. No one below me (unless they were buried there some time ago).
I'll also be putting whatever I get on, at minimum a yoga mat, but maybe a cycleops mat (the aforementioned guy I train also has one he's not using).

And yep, DCRM has been super helpful, but like ST he often makes me more aware of what else I might want, moving me further from a decision into an endless loop of research and no action.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine swears by his Elite Muin. Im about to pick one up myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:
Wow some great input. Thanks guys.

I was up all night reading DC RM's reviews for most of what's been recommended here....

As with everything on slow twitch, I came here looking for advice, got a super helpful land slide of it, and now seem to have lots of answers but even more questions than before. Hoping I have a slow day at work today so I can resolve this order something ASAP!

So if I were to sit back and try to think of the worst possible day in the entire year to order trainers, today would be that day. Out of 365 days.

Why? Eurobike starts tomorrow, and anything that hasn't yet been announced will be announced. While there may be some straggles at Interbike (in two weeks), Eurobike is where most trainer companies come out with new products. You've seen some of the units from Tacx, Kinetic is due as well as Elite, plus potentially others (perhaps newbies).

Seriously, don't buy a trainer today. Just go get ice cream, it'll make your life better today.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest bike trainer [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ray, any updates from Eurobike that we might consider re: trainers?

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mendeldave wrote:
Hey Ray, any updates from Eurobike that we might consider re: trainers?

Writing as we speak. You'll see shortly a post on Elite Trainers, another on BKOOL, another on Kinetic, and then two more on Tacx. And probably some app ones. Phew.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest bike trainer [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCR Zwift on the Tacx Neo at the DCR RV at Eurobike - looking forward to the posts on Tacx. Smile

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Aug 27, 15 20:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next