Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Threat of wild fires to IMLT
Quote | Reply
Northern CA is getting hit hard with wild fires. First thought is for the people effected. Second thought is how badly does this jeopardize the races there? Obviously, there is some history to consider. What are the odds it gets cancelled based on the current situation? I suppose it could rain in the next seven weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Northern CA is getting hit hard with wild fires. First thought is for the people effected. Second thought is how badly does this jeopardize the races there? Obviously, there is some history to consider. What are the odds it gets cancelled based on the current situation? I suppose it could rain in the next seven weeks.

One could argue that the odds of smoke causing an IMLT cancellation are quite high, since it has already happened once before. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMLT was socked in with smoke until right before the debut in 2013 as well. A month before the consensus seemed to be the race was all but cancelled.

Sucks, IMLT is such a great race but debuting in the middle of record drought is a b*tch.
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there in 2013 - and yea I remember the worry over the smoke. Fortunately that cleared and became a legitimate worry about snow, and then finally freezing rain overnight :)

I suspect IMLT is cursed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am dealing with the smoke on a daily basis. IMLT is going to be perfect, great. The sky is NOT falling.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

with tongue in cheek (somewhat).

The forest burned last year. That forest can't burn again this year. Though, I guess smoke could blow in from another fire.

At a minimum I'd expect air quality to be a bit worse than say, January.

Best bet for everybody in my AG (50-54) - go to some other race, please. You won't like this event; smoke, snow, cold, etc., etc.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

Really no way to predict it until a week out (or shorter). Never know when a fire's going to blow up and which way the wind will be blowing.

It's not going to rain in the next seven weeks. And if it does, it'll be accompanied by lightning, which is bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Poon wrote:

The forest burned last year. That forest can't burn again this year. Though, I guess smoke could blow in from another fire.

Best bet for everybody in my AG (50-54) - go to some other race, please. You won't like this event; smoke, snow, cold, etc., etc.

Add your comments to the 55-59 AG also. Going to be terrible. Race will be canceled. Get your money back. Stay home.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems a little early for a freakout thread.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did two loops on the bike course today. Great weather although it got pretty warm the second time around.
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
Poon wrote:

Really no way to predict it until a week out (or shorter). Never know when a fire's going to blow up and which way the wind will be blowing.

It's not going to rain in the next seven weeks. And if it does, it'll be accompanied by lightning, which is bad.

It might, it was pouring in LT (and Nevada, ironically) a few weeks ago when I was there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Poon wrote:

I went to another event...Whistler....freezing cold rain, another few degrees and it would have turned to snow. Surely they can't have the same weather for you guys at Tahoe. I hear the weather is going to be as good as Wildflower!!! I better get out of this Tahoe thread before someone hijacks my credit card/hijacks my active.com account and auto registers me for it
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:

and the understatement of the year award goes to... !!!!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
I did two loops on the bike course today. Great weather although it got pretty warm the second time around.
I like pretty warm. Garmin showed 102 doing a lap of the Boulder course the other day (disclaimer: probably really only 90-ish barely). I'm road-tripping Santa Cruz, Tahoe, Frogman next month with my bike and do not wish for any more problems for Tahoe, even though it would mean I could bang out more miles. It makes me sad to think of that race going away.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It hailed in King's Beach yesterday.......

Linda
~Still recovering from IMLT
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [velcromom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You never know what you'll get at any event. No need to sit and worry about it. CDA was off the chart HOT. Whistler was pouring and cold as eff. Hope for the best, show up, and suck it up if the weather is horrible. Or, DNF and run through the finishing chute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
You never know what you'll get at any event. No need to sit and worry about it. CDA was off the chart HOT. Whistler was pouring and cold as eff. Hope for the best, show up, and suck it up if the weather is horrible. Or, DNF and run through the finishing chute.

I've never laughed so hard!!! Perfect synopsis!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably won't get that kind of warm in Santa Cruz. Prepare yourself mentally :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the end of the world. South Lake Tahoe 1 week ago.
They had SUPs for rent; you had to walk a LONG way out to get to water.
Lake is lowest since historical low in 1992.

Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is really sad :(

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
SharonMcN wrote:

and the understatement of the year award goes to... !!!!

Just show up ready to race. And bring all your gear. That's what I'm going to do (for the 70.3)

Ready for cold/hot/rain/snow. If the race is on, I may bitch about a slow T1 time, but I won't bitch about the weather.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, for the 70.3 is there Saturday athlete check-in or not? Active.com has a checkbox required saying that Friday the 18th is check-in, but on the athlete guide from the website it shows an athlete checkin from 9-11am on Saturday in the Squaw parking lot (not clear what this is for)?
Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [RIGorous1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIGorous1 wrote:
Just curious, for the 70.3 is there Saturday athlete check-in or not? Active.com has a checkbox required saying that Friday the 18th is check-in, but on the athlete guide from the website it shows an athlete checkin from 9-11am on Saturday in the Squaw parking lot (not clear what this is for)?

I am going only Sat.

Quote Reply
Re: Threat of wild fires to IMLT [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with the athlete guide, Saturday is available for pick up.

And Dave I thought you were out for the year because of surgery or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:

Mind posting a link to your Garmin upload? Interested in a .tcx of this year's course to program in bestbikesplit.
Quote Reply