Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zelle Am See to Munich Driving Times
Quote | Reply
Can any of you guys give me an estimate of how long it would take to travel from Zelle Am See to Munich Airport to catch an international flight at 10 am on the Monday after the race. I assume I need to be there for 8 am. It looks like you need to get around the city, so how bad is the traffic at that time of day and what time do I need to leave Zelle....or is it better to get over to the airport on Sunday late night and get a hotel by airport? Input would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Zelle Am See to Munich Driving Times [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend being at the rental drop off no later than 7:30am. That's a 5am start from Zell Am See.

I have had the misfortune of missing a Canada bound flight from Munich.
Mövenpick Hotel Munich-Airport was nice at least...
Quote Reply
Re: Zelle Am See to Munich Driving Times [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with that time frame although I would probably opt to drive to the airport Sunday night and stay at the airport Hilton. It's super convenient and you can drop off your rental car Sunday night and save a half day rental to offset some of the hotel cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are probably people who know munich traffic getter than I do but living in Germany for about a year I have come to learn that the traffic is very unpredictable.

Listen to traffic reports and try to identify any construction between Zell am see and Munich. Stau is the german word for get comfortable in your car cause it isnt going anywhere.

I would give yourself about 45~60 min longer than estimated (2 1/2 hours). So If it was me I would factor in 3 1/2 hours drive time. Also, this should help you avoid monday morning traffic. Once your in a stau it can suck time.

All that being said if you have the option to stay in Munich sunday night DO IT.Save yourself the stress and headache, especially with an international flight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you end up staying near Munich I recommend the place below (its a hotel/brewery):

http://www.schlossgut-odelzhausen.de/

The operator beer is phenominal and the food is great as well. Everytime I am near munich I stop to pick up a rack of beer and have dinner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that staying near the airport on Sunday night will be the best option. You can get there as late as you want and then when you wake up, you are just a few minutes away. The best possible combo!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driving in / around Munich is very unpredictavble. The school summer vacation starts tomorrow and will still be on by the end of August, so it should not be too bad. However, If I were you I would go there Sunday evening and you will have time to go for a beer or two at some of the awesome breweries / biergardens in the city. The trip from ZaS to Munich has a lot of small (partly) mountain roads and they are not too fun if you have to drive early / in the dark...
This will take away a lot of your worries. Then (depending on your ammount of luggage) take the train from the city to the airport - super easy and cheap!
Quote Reply
Re: Zelle Am See to Munich Driving Times [Pjorsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Munich and I have done that drive 6-7 times in the past 2 years at different times of day and it has always taken 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

The ring road around Munich at that time of day should be pretty clear as should the autobahn out of Munich, but they are very busy roads. The Autobahn (A8) south from Munich is one of the main trunk roads between Germany and Austria and to Southern Europe so expect lots of trucks at all times of day.

The last 50 miles are not on the highway, it's an A road with very few places to overtake and you will have to drive at 50km/h through every village, drive at 40km/h behind every tractor etc.. There are very few places where you will get above about 80 km/h.

Also note that you need to buy a vignette to use the Austrian autobahn.
Quote Reply
Re: Zelle Am See to Munich Driving Times [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uk_bloke wrote:
I live in Munich and I have done that drive 6-7 times in the past 2 years at different times of day and it has always taken 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

The ring road around Munich at that time of day should be pretty clear as should the autobahn out of Munich, but they are very busy roads. The Autobahn (A8) south from Munich is one of the main trunk roads between Germany and Austria and to Southern Europe so expect lots of trucks at all times of day.

The last 50 miles are not on the highway, it's an A road with very few places to overtake and you will have to drive at 50km/h through every village, drive at 40km/h behind every tractor etc.. There are very few places where you will get above about 80 km/h.

Also note that you need to buy a vignette to use the Austrian autobahn.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It looks like I should be at the airport the night before my flight, so I have a few options:
  1. Arrange for the same flight on Tue PM flight and come into Munich on Mon afternoon with the other guys in the rental car and then stay at the airport (or in town for that matter and take the train in)
  2. Get a lift from someone on Sunday PM who is going to Munich so that I can be there for a Monday AM flight
  3. Get my own rental car (rather than share) so that I can drive in Sunday PM

If anyone is driving back to Munich Sunday PM (Ideally after the awards....I will be like 50-100th place in my division, but I like to see the top guys and girls get up on stage) shoot me a PM or email me (on my profile). I'll wait till tomorrow to lock down my departure flight.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Zelle Am See to Munich Driving Times [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more question for the local guys. Can I take a train into Munich after the race in the evening, and stay at at a hotel near the station, or is that going to be a long and convoluted option ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
One more question for the local guys. Can I take a train into Munich after the race in the evening, and stay at at a hotel near the station, or is that going to be a long and convoluted option ?

Train from Zell Am See to Munich is easy. Zell has a train station and you have to switch trains once in Woergl. The fastest connection take 2h:39min.
Make sure you take the connection through Woergl (they offer connections through other towns that take much longer).
Don't know whether this comes through but here is search for Deutsche Bahn:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/...mp;rt=1&OK#focus

You can start your own search from here: http://www.bahn.de/...w/USA/en/index.shtml

Plenty of hotels around the station in Munich.
E.g. Maritim really in walking distance from the station. Plenty of other choices but your budget will drive choice (Munich is expensive).
The next morning you would take the S8 (regional train to get to the airport (ca 30. min ride).
Another good option is the City Hilton. For that you would get off at Ostbahnhof which is Munich 2nd train station, instead of Hauptbahnhof (main station).
The City Hilton has a station right underneath with direct access from the hotel, where you can catch the S8 the next morning.

I suppose you have your bike? For the train from Zell you will probably pay an extra fee. As you would be riding the morning train to the airport there might be limits with taking your bike during rush hour. Not sure how that works as normal luggage is no problem and common on that train.

Good luck with your race.
Last edited by: bozo3000: Aug 3, 15 9:13
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 31, 15 12:10
Re: Zelle Am See to Munich Driving Times [bozo3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just came back from my extended Roth trip, I rode all around Germany on the train. no extra fee for bike it's as quick as. Go the first class ticket will be room for lugagge
Quote Reply