Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Mont-Tremblant vs. Canada vs. Lake Placid [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
AHare wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

They treated me well though. They were slow as shit like any ER in the States. I left basically having no idea what that was going to cost me. I just handed them my AMEX card and waited for the bill. The free Canadian healthcare system is apparently not free to Americans. :-)

Well now I'm curious as a Canadian: What did it cost? If you don't want to say, did it cost more/less than a comparable visit in the states? Was the billing process satisfactory?

They charged my credit card some absurd amount up front. I think it was $2000 or $2500. Kind of like a retainer. They refunded me the difference for what they didn't charge. I think I got about half of it back. This was August 2014 when the USD and CAD were closer in value. The process went more smooth than I thought it would. I think I received the refund about two or three weeks later.

As for cost... not sure if it was more or less than similar service in the US because I've never paid cash for a medical visit in the US as everything has always gone through my medical insurance provider.

I had a ~$7000 bill for an ambulance ride, paramedic support, a night at the ER, several X rays and a CT Scan, a ton of stitches, and a bunch of drugs, casts and meals at the hospital at IM Switzerland a few years ago. If was reimbursed by my insurance provider of course, but there is a number for you guys to keep in mind. I did not even have my credit card as the only thing I had on my was my tri suit, helmet and cycling shoes. They discharged me taking my word that the VISA number I gave them verbally was fine (I assume the rang it through).
Quote Reply

Prev Next