Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Newbie dread over 20 minute FTP test [CamDukio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Off topic but on topic, in my user setting on TrainerRoad, it has my wheel circumference set at 2089. Not sure where that number came from, or what, if any, impact it would have on my readings? I'm using stock Bontrager Race 700c with a Conti trainer tire. Haven't done a roll out test to check, but I think circumference would be closer to 2135....how much difference would 46mm make on this?

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie dread over 20 minute FTP test [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Don't stress. Enjoy finding your limits and come to terms with the discomfort.

Quote Reply
Re: Newbie dread over 20 minute FTP test [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was starting to think I was alone in embracing the pain. I've been racing crits since 2008. I love it. You learn a whole lot about yourself and pain management.

While I only recently started doing the test, I know it's brutal and I'm going to be deep in pain, but I look forward to it.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie dread over 20 minute FTP test [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Hah I did my monthly TR 20 min test last night.

The little line about "HOPE YOUR BUCKET IS READY" right after you finish is my favorite part.

Never actually yakked but I could not fault someone who did.

(Gained 5 watts last night. Not great for a month, but not terrible I guess)

I know right! I came close to yakking at about 14 minutes in. I'm still at that stage of riding where I only have upside, so I probably couldn't lose 5 watts unless I tanked on purpose. I'll say one thing, a decade of running does NOT prepare you for cycling! As much as I stressed this and it was miserable, I must admit I'm a sick bastard and I loved it, almost want to try again tonight. The other weird thing is afterward, even my upper body felt shredded?

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie dread over 20 minute FTP test [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a FTP test just about every week on the trainer, have been for many years, even when I am not training for an event. Embrace it. Having that on my regular schedule has helped me deal with pre-race anxiety, which goes back 40+ years to high school cross country. My results are variable from week to week, which I attribute to my overall mental state, physical condition, hydration level, sinus congestion, daily stress, etc. It's nice because you know where you are fitness -wise on a regular basis.

Rich G
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie dread over 20 minute FTP test [kanebikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first 3 years of triathlon, I never really pushed myself for the reason people mention. But once you have done it, it gets easier and easier. Even last night, I ran as fast as I could for about 3 miles. The first 5 minutes sucked, but then you ease back a little to a good pace and then you can go harder than you initially did.

I'm not a scientist of fitness expert, but I've always had a low resting heart beat. I can bike at FTP power zone 2 and 3 on the bike and my heart rate be well within zone 1. I think it is from years of power lifting and boxing. My observations have shown that until a certain threshold is met, there is resistance. So getting beyond that initial 160 threshold can be tough. One certainly will experience this phenomenon in a crit race without adequate warmup, as your heart will not go to the level it needs to in order to survive that balls to the wall start. The easiest way is to step up for me and I do this via 20 minute warmup before a crit race. Go to 145, ease up, go to 155, ease up then go to 160. But trying to go straight there (as many test require) can be tough, and when you get to that 155 - 160 range, there is a lot of pain. Almost like the heart doesn't want to go there and is fighting it. But once you do and ease up even for 30 seconds, it is much less painful to go back up and maintain. It just becomes how much can my legs handle. Don't get me wrong, never finish an FTP test where you feel you can go another 5 - 10 miles, my legs will let me peddle back at a modest 10 mph pace. But I find my heart is usually still ready to go. I think those who suffer pain the most have stronger legs than hearts.

I think this is why I was always able to get very high average heart rates in my spinning classes I used to teach. It was a very methodical step up and then move down.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Jul 29, 15 11:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next