Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM run - Bondi or Clifton
Quote | Reply
I have IMMT coming up soon, and I was thinking I'd wear Cliftons for the run. However, in some recent races they got real wet and almost 'spongy/squishy', and that was only in Olympic and sprint races. I did my last long run of 18 miles over the weekend in Bondi 4's in steady rain and they didn't get at all 'spongy.' I know there a quite a few folks who have done IM's in Cliftons - is getting them wet an issue? (I know it sounds a bit gross, but during an IM I generally just pee while running to save time) I could put a second pair in my special needs bag.

I'd love to race in the Cliftons due to the weight savings, but I'm just not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: IM run - Bondi or Clifton [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same issues with my Cliftons during hot long runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive read of others drilling holes in the soles of their shoes. Just an idea good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worn the clifton in my last three IM races including Hawaii. All hot, dumping lots of water and ice on myself - never a problem. At Racine last weekend I had my first experience of them getting really wet. They seemed to dry out within a few minutes.

I'd go with the clifton.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM run - Bondi or Clifton [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any issues with wet Cliftons. Based on the material they seem to dry pretty quick for me. However - I do have a problem with the insole running up on the inside of my shoe. I heard that complaint on a running forum too. Anyone here experience the same problem & have a good fix? Thinking of gluing or duct taping, but worried I'll feel the bumps under the insole...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny timing of your question - I had essentially the same question going into my IM this weekend. I have been training in Bondi 3's for a while, and I am starting to work Cliftons into the mix. The Bondi 3's definitely hold water/sweat and get a bit heavy and squishy. I have not had a chance to run long enough in the Cliftons to see if they will hold water/sweat too. Based on your experience, however, it sounds like they may have the same issues. I considered running in the Cliftons since they start out quite a bit lighter and hopefully would not be so heavy when wet...it will probably be a game-time decision when packing the T2 bag.
Quote Reply
Re: IM run - Bondi or Clifton [brusche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brusche wrote:
I haven't had any issues with wet Cliftons. Based on the material they seem to dry pretty quick for me. However - I do have a problem with the insole running up on the inside of my shoe. I heard that complaint on a running forum too. Anyone here experience the same problem & have a good fix? Thinking of gluing or duct taping, but worried I'll feel the bumps under the insole...

I recently had that same issue with the insole moving to the back of the shoe after not having it happen with four prior pair of Cliftons (like all the way to the middle of the shoe with the back of the insole creeping up to the top of the heel). I switched out the insole to the provided ortho lite insole, and it stopped. The fit is slightly looser now, but the insole slipping stopped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore B4's at IM Muncie 70.3. They never got squishy but definitely got a bit heavier from being wet towards the end of the run.
What's faster ? Time savings from weight reduction vs time savings from extra cushion saving your legs for later in the marathon......maybe a wash ? will be interested in hearing how it goes for you. good luck on the KQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with the weight savings of the Cliftons. I would rather plan for what I can control (weight and comfort of the shoe while dry) rather than how wet they will get over an IM, which is a little bit harder to gauge. BTW, I love the Cliftons. They are the only shoes that I have found to be equally good on a 10K and on 20-mile training runs.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue racing in college with my nordic ski boots--classic boots (Dev will remember this boot model)...Salomon classic (the yellow & purple model) from early 90's. Technique flaw where I was curling the toe up & grabbing the insole & then the released kick phase relaxed the toe--after a bit, the insole was half way out behind my heel.
Had a ski shop owner suggest CARPET TAPE. Never had an issue again. Try taping your Clifton insole with that if it is an issue.
I don't recall if I ever cleared up the technique issue as I rarely ski anymore...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue and emailed Hoka and they sent me a couple new pairs of insoles. Apparently this is a known problem with several batches of the Clifton. The new insoles are great and I've bought a couple pairs of Clifton 2s since then and those are fine.
Quote Reply
Re: IM run - Bondi or Clifton [JAH294] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Good to know! Going to email Hoka tonight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used double sided tape to keep the insoles riding up my heel of my Cliftons. seems to be working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Clifton this weekend at IM Canada! They worked great even when they got wet in transition, on the run at aid stations and when 'other' things happened. I liked that they were light! I highly recommend them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Older Clifton pairs had this issue for me I fixed it with 3M spray adhesive, newer pairs I've bought seem to have the insoles glued in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same problem, terrible insoles. I fiddled with the stock ones, tried glues and Velcro with hilarious results...

Finally got a pair of superfeet insoles and that solved it. The kid in he the shop saw me coming and sold me the most expensive ones on he the wall (Carbon!) but they have worked fine. I don't think you need $50 inserts through, just not the 10 cent Hoka ones

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My issue with the Clifton was that the toe box just seems a little more narrow than the B4s and on long runs when my feet swell they're just a bit too tight. I'm planning to run IMAZ in my B4s which are by far the comfiest shoe I've ever worn.
Quote Reply
Re: IM run - Bondi or Clifton [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I had the same issue racing in college with my nordic ski boots--classic boots (Dev will remember this boot model)...Salomon classic (the yellow & purple model) from early 90's. Technique flaw where I was curling the toe up & grabbing the insole & then the released kick phase relaxed the toe--after a bit, the insole was half way out behind my heel.
Had a ski shop owner suggest CARPET TAPE. Never had an issue again. Try taping your Clifton insole with that if it is an issue.
I don't recall if I ever cleared up the technique issue as I rarely ski anymore...

LOL....I remember that model

To Nate, I would go with Clifton! Good luck at Tremblant!
Quote Reply
Re: IM run - Bondi or Clifton [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree about the toe box. i like the toe box of the bondis but the feel and lightness of the cliftons
Quote Reply
Re: IM run - Bondi or Clifton [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like I'll go with the Cliftons - any sense putting another pair in special needs? Maybe not worth the hassle of stopping to change unless they're absolutely soaked.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply