Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Traveling Abroad Questions
Quote | Reply
I am traveling to WC 70.3 in Zell am See. It is the very first time I have flown to any race. TBT is already taking my bike because I plan to stay in Europe for a vacation afterwards.

I'm wondering if I can take gels and powdered nutrition in plastic bags in my luggage which will be carry on only, nothing checked.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [jackiep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it many times. The Gels are no issue...they are within size limits and in original packaging. Put them in a quart bag and pull them out when required unless you are lucky enough to get TSA pre-check. Powdered nutrition...particularly white powder...would only be problematic if you have a lot of it AND you get the 1 out of 1000 jerk from TSA on the way over. Be sure to label the powder just in case...or perhaps even take the label from the original can or a copy of the ingredients from their website. I would NOT pull powder out for separate inspection as it is neither a liquid, gel, foam, cream or paste. No sense in getting anyone riled up.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fly over to Europe somewhat regularly and I often have unlabeled pills (even better, right?) in plastic bags. Mostly because I get random annoying headaches and I buy generic Ibuporofen in big bottles so I just toss a handful in a ziploc in my carry on. Never had anyone complain about that. Watch me get stopped on the way home (in Europe now).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've traveled many times (domestically and internationally) and almost always had no issues.

The only time I had an issue was Kona 2013. I had all my race gels in my carry-on bag. When I connected in Honolulu the TSA agent at the inter-island terminal made me throw out all the gels. He said cummulatively they violated the TSA requirements. I was in danger of missing my connection so didn't argue with him too much. He said I could check them but I didn't have the time. Interestingly, I did the same thing for Kona 2014 and had no issues. Luck of the draw I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't be a problem but you can always get gels and powders in Austria. The race expo itself will typically have them.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the same thing. I put all my pills for each day in separate plastic holder or bag...always wondered what they would say if they questioned me about it. However, for that reason, I always remove all S caps or Salt Sticks from the dispensers on my bike and only take pills with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took a ziploc of powder to cozumel, don't remember if I packed it with bike, or carryon. Got there just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only if your powdered nutrition is cocaine will it be a problem.

The things you can't take across borders are fresh fruits, plants, etc... processed sports nutrition is never a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am travelling from New Zealand and will be bringing my bike via plane and train but am then spending 3 weeks travelling around Europe afterwards. Anybody have some good sources of how to ship my bike back to New Zealand so I don't need to drag it around for the following 3 weeks? TBT only deals with to/from US.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [whiteandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cozumel is my target IM when I am ready and since I use INFINIT, Ive always wondered if bringing a bag of white powder into Mexico is a problem or not.

Don't slow down till it hurts. Then, dont slow down...
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [daggyswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daggyswim wrote:
I am travelling from New Zealand and will be bringing my bike via plane and train but am then spending 3 weeks travelling around Europe afterwards. Anybody have some good sources of how to ship my bike back to New Zealand so I don't need to drag it around for the following 3 weeks? TBT only deals with to/from US.

Find somewhere to store your bag while travelling and fly home with it. Find a local near the airport.... ask on facebook, etc... always awesome triathletes willing to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Issue is that I'm flying into Munich and out of London as opposed to doing a round trip within Europe. Worst case is that I'll send it to friends in the UK and then take it back with me on the plane. Just searching out to see if there were easier options out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For larger quantities of powdered nutrition a plastic bag is a bad idea...
Also, you are not traveling to a third world country, so check if your nutrition is available for purchase in Europe.

If you absolutely MUST have to take powdered supplements, taking them in the original sealed container is your best bet.

jackiep wrote:
I am traveling to WC 70.3 in Zell am See. It is the very first time I have flown to any race. TBT is already taking my bike because I plan to stay in Europe for a vacation afterwards.

I'm wondering if I can take gels and powdered nutrition in plastic bags in my luggage which will be carry on only, nothing checked.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling Abroad Questions [Duffy Daugherty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy Daugherty wrote:
Cozumel is my target IM when I am ready and since I use INFINIT, Ive always wondered if bringing a bag of white powder into Mexico is a problem or not.

i fly into CUN all the time wtih stuff we can't get here (mexico) and don't want to ask mules to bring - so usually supplements and/or nutrition. i have absolutely NEVR had problem. Cozumel should be even easier as pretty much only tourists fly into cozumel. don't worry about it.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply