Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid Bike Repair Question
Quote | Reply
Flatted during last race. Puncture flat. Tube removed, debris removed, new tube inserted and valve extender put on. Finished the race no problem. Having a slow leak ever since. I did not have teflon tape to wrap the valve before adding the extender so I'm guessing that's where the slow leak is coming from. Assuming it's not debris, are there any other guesses or thoughts as to what might be causing it?
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid Bike Repair Question [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take out tube, but remember what orientation it was against the wheel.

Find where the leak is coming from (I like submerging tube underwater and finding the bubbles).

Locate where the puncture of the tube was in the wheel and see if anything is going on there (missing piece of debris, rim tape slipped, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Having a slow leak ever since. I did not have teflon tape to wrap the valve before adding the extender so I'm guessing that's where the slow leak is coming from.

Absolutely. Next time, have an extra extender and take the time at home to put it on carefully so you don't have to do so in a race. The only reason you wouldn't do that is if you have a deep front (long stem) and a disc (only has a hole for a short stem). In that case, I'd bring two...one set up for each.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's just the "straw" style of extender (i.e. no valve on top), it shouldn't be the cause of the leak. As an aside, wrap the valve stem of the tube in your flat kit with teflon tape; then you can reuse the extender from the flatted tube and be assured of a good seal.

As others have mentioned, there might have been a slow leak due to some small debris. Other possible causes:

-Slightly loose valve core (if the tube has a removable core).

-Slight leak where the valve stem joins to the tube (basically a faulty tube).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get good info/advice, you gotta tell us exactly what kind of extender you have.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you inflate with CO2 and not reinflate with a pump? CO2 diffuses faster than air so if you inflate with a cartridge good practice to deflate and reinflate with a punp when you get home
Quote Reply