Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cad, Aero, and 3D Printing [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
A few things to consider:

There are some easy ways to dramatically smooth (post printing) ABS parts. So much that they will look nearly like injection molded parts.
Care to elaborate?
You bet, look up 'low temperature acetone smoothing'. Safe and easy. Stay away from heated acetone smoothing unless you want to start a fire.

Cervelokid wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
So, if the shapes are right (and this is a big 'if'), surface finish will not be an issue for aero drag.
So obviously an airfoil; what kind should I look into? I would think a kammtail would be proper here, would it not? Aero, and more useable space with te same length as a "classic" airfoil?
Full airfoils are in nearly every case better than kamm tails if you have the space. However, when a shape (such as your storage box) drafts another aero shape, it is really hard to figure out the best shape just by eye. To get a truly optimal shape, you would have to aero test,or try CFD, or both.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of making pins, use nuts and bolts. Make our cut a slot in the back and the bolts will hold the thing in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Cad, Aero, and 3D Printing [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Is that a student version of solidworks?

If so, you should have access to the Flow Simulation modules :-)

Just kidding. I have FloXPress, which is great for a simulation of a fluid flowing through a pipe or valve. However, it only works with internal problems.

Flow Simulation does both internal and external problems, but for a student it costs $150.00 (US) and I don't currently have the means to get that. So CFD is out for now :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can run CFD using OpenFOAM. I'm not really a fan of Solidworks flow simulations, or really any "user friendly" package. Usually it means it makes it easy for you to get a meaningless solution to a poorly posed problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another option I just made this morning. One piece, and I built it around the seatpost to be a nicer shape. Going to play with more ideas. I'll also throw up a pic later of the wider version of my first idea.

And here is the revision of my earlier design. I don't like this one.

Last edited by: Cervelokid: Jul 2, 15 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Cad, Aero, and 3D Printing [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrown wrote:
This right up my alley..I just finished up high school (headed to UVA Mech-E in the fall), and my senior thesis project for honors was my own design of an aero-road helmet (used AutoCad, 3D printer, and small wind-tunnel). Saved 9W at 30mph. Was mentored along the way by the guys at Specialized.

The 3D printer you'll likely have access to will probably not be capable of printing a surface with a low CdA. No matter what level of definition you set it to. Remember, it's not injection-mold plastic. Depending on what printer you have, it may lay down the material in a hollow honeycomb pattern. I know MakerBot does this.
Very cool. I'd love to see a pic of said helmet.

And the printer we have, while I forget the name, is a pretty nice one. We have a small Makerbot, but the other one is a couple years old but at the time it was top of the line. The printers foot print is about 2'x2'x3', and it prints abs with a pretty good resolution. Also, for any hollow spaces that are going to have material over them, it prints a different plastic in a larger coarser honeycomb structure to provide support while printing. You then dissolve that extra material out. The actual part however isn't honeycomb, so sanding is a reality.
Quote Reply

Prev Next