Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is why I dig slowtwitch and the forums [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
Often it isn't the actual science that is bogus, it is the conclusions that are bogus, more like over-hyped. People are often not exactly sure what was studied, specifically, so their conclusions can be less than informed. However, people reading about the science will understand the conclusions rather than the actual study. We are a painfully under-educated society (in the US at least) in science and logic. I often give a logic quiz to people to demonstrate how people can easily draw erroneous conclusions from valid scientific evidence.

It rained, therefore the road is wet. --> if it rains there is no way the road won't get wet
The road is wet, therefore it must have rained. --> except for all you know a fire hydrant went off, someone spilled a jug, whatever.

A reasonable person can look at a wet road, correlate the clouds in the sky, the smell, etc - and conclude that it did, in fact, rain. In science, you are not allowed to do that. The evidence you are presented (a wet road) does not allow you to conclude that it rained. The observation that the road was wet is valid; the conclusion is erroneous. The general public is not able to separate experience (most people know when it has rained, even if they didn't actually see it rain) from science which is much more rigid in drawing conclusions.

Oh, I like that! Taking it farther... in the scientific community, it would take multiple people observing that the road is wet in multiple locations at the same time to arrive at a consensus that it probably rained.
;-)

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Last edited by: TriMyBest: May 28, 15 11:21
Quote Reply
Re: This is why I dig slowtwitch and the forums [coachanthonyNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is pretty ironic is that the author still decides to make a point by choosing a topic that has some evidence already:

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/...PX?ARTICLEID=1108800

There is still work to be done and there is possibly some reporting bias as suggested in a subsequent discussion also published in JAMA IA, but
there is still some interesting evidence. By the way, this was picked by the NYT and they did a terrible job reporting what the paper actually said.
Quote Reply
Re: This is why I dig slowtwitch and the forums [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't even have a control group.
Quote Reply
Re: This is why I dig slowtwitch and the forums [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Manipulated media is how politicians get elected.

Prev Next