Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Blood volume loss after 2 days no training [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not so sure as the assumption is you peaked your adaptation to last stress prior to the 2 days soon after you completed it and the lack of another bout of stress leads to decline? Perhaps after a bomber high interval session; 2 days rest leads to better adaptation from that session and there is incremental benefit over time with said protocol. So I don't think we could say "definitely" either way as the stress load prior to the rest is another variable to consider. Adaption takes time and has its limits, so additional stress may interfere in certain cases. I am not saying less is more, but what and how you are training could be a factor on the outcome of routinely taking 2 days rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood volume loss after 2 days no training [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always heard it described as a loss of blood volume/plasma as well.

I feel pretty bad after a day off, and just awful after two. Now that's "feeling". Typically my numbers (when I've been foolish enough to try a workout or race) are on point, but PE is just outrageous to the point where I almost always bail on a workout if I'm trying one.

I've also heard it explained as a muscle tension issue, especially in running, and had another coach who advocated doing some sprints the day before a 5k/10k to keep muscle tension high.

Since a few disastrous races, I've always tried to do a ride/run with a few hard efforts the day (or even morning) before a race. Just feels so much better during the actual race. I do this with workouts from time to time, too, when time allows.
Last edited by: pedalbiker: May 28, 15 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Blood volume loss after 2 days no training [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a lot of my blood plasma/volume info from this running coach who I had a lot of (running) success with

Quote:
"I think the first day off is 1-3% loss of plasma volume. That loss directly affects V.O2 max."

"Red Blood Cell loss occurs after about 5 days of no running, I speculate."

http://www.therunzone.com/...p?t=2727&p=15353
Quote Reply
Re: Blood volume loss after 2 days no training [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to drag this one up again but it is a topic I'm interested in, mainly because I buck the trend. I think you are right when you say the effect varies among individuals. I for one feel great after a day of no training (completed a session earlier where RPE was way down having taken a day off yesterday, and having a race postponed today due to the weather). I find no difference if I ride a little (with some bursts thrown in) or complete rest. The latter never means I sit on the couch all day though (sometimes I will walk for an hour) so maybe this offsets plasma loss? I seldom dont train for 2 days in a row but *I think* that would be more of an issue, though I'm uncertain if any RPE increase is solely due to plasma loss.
Quote Reply

Prev Next