Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain Length
Quote | Reply
I have a question about my chain length. I would say that it's too short, but I wanted other opinions. If my chain is truly too short, would this effect my power readings (I'm thinking it wouldn't). Would it increase my drivetrain losses?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

---Francis

Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden with a chain that short before (switched from tri to road frame with longer chain stay) and I would say yeah, that is too short. For me, it shifted like absolute garbage, even with Di2. I wouldn't ride it if it were my bike, simply because pushing something to its boundary is one of the best ways to break down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take two of these and call me in the morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with shimano's guidelines for chain length, that seems to work well in most gearing combos.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably could use an extra set of links, but it should be fine as-is (assuming you don't intend to put on a larger rear cog, and you don't cross chain in real life).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch - way too short
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too short, i follow big-big +2 which is the sram guideline and has always been spot on. It is better in general to have one extra link than one short. I would add two links personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cervelo3 wrote:
I have a question about my chain length. I would say that it's too short, but I wanted other opinions. If my chain is truly too short, would this effect my power readings (I'm thinking it wouldn't). Would it increase my drivetrain losses?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

---Francis

If you think about it logically, there always needs to be some tension applied on the chain by the rear derailleur (RD), even when the chain is engaged in the smallest combination of front and rear cogs. Consequently, when the chain is in the small chainring (at the front) and the smallest cog on the rear cassette, there should be sufficient tension on the chain by the RD to stay clear of the bottom of the RD. In that configuration the chain will be at its loosest.but the tension applied is still sufficient to stop it flopping about - and the chain will be long enough to engage the largest cogs on the front and rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Too short, i follow big-big +2 which is the sram guideline and has always been spot on. It is better in general to have one extra link than one short. I would add two links personally.
SRAM recommends big-big plus 1" which is about what is shown if you were to remove the chain from the dérailleur in the picture. Looks fine, given that's not a combination you should be spending much time in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too short. Add an extra link, probably two.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
SRAM recommends big-big plus 1" which is about what is shown if you were to remove the chain from the dérailleur in the picture. Looks fine, given that's not a combination you should be spending much time in.

They recommend big big +2 links, it is in two of their youtube videos, on their website, and on the install guide with most chains, there. This is also what our shop did when i worked at one a few years ago and the goal is to ensure a chain is if anything slightly long than short. I always follow the big/big +2 and my chain never looks like that, ever. In fact i have accidentally gone one link shorter than normal and it is still looser than that chain. This is one of those issues where there is no real disadvantage to going one extra and a lot of potential issues with a shorter chain. Even one link too short can really alter the shifting.

Minute 3:02 has the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYR4KNRvHow
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

They recommend big big +2 links, it is in two of their youtube videos, on their website, and on the install guide with most chains, there. This is also what our shop did when i worked at one a few years ago and the goal is to ensure a chain is if anything slightly long than short. I always follow the big/big +2 and my chain never looks like that, ever. In fact i have accidentally gone one link shorter than normal and it is still looser than that chain. This is one of those issues where there is no real disadvantage to going one extra and a lot of potential issues with a shorter chain. Even one link too short can really alter the shifting.

Minute 3:02 has the answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYR4KNRvHow
That's exactly what I said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use Chain length in inches = 2 x Chainstay Length] + [Largesr Front Ring teeth/4 + Largest Rear cog teeth/4 + 1] round nearest link to check yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I bite. Did you pull this out of the air or is it legit?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a DIY/custom chainring cover? Makes the chainring look like a 60T! And also badass.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It shouldn't be a surprise there is a mathematical solution for chain lengths when all the variables are known: http://www.parktool.com/.../chain-length-sizing
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Length [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well learned something new today. Thanks.
Quote Reply