Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was unaware they have updated the design / newer model.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nearly 1000 miles on these since installing them last month. Some observations;
  • As noted the covers are specific to the new cleats, you cannot retro fit them to older cleats
  • They haven't fallen off yet
  • They are shoe specific you can't mix them up
  • My right one squeaks sometimes although this may be a function of a service on the actual pedal, going back to the LBS on this
  • They are significantly grippier aon the floor than the basic bare metal version, making it easier in T2
  • Obviously there is reduced wear on the actual metalwork of the cleat
  • There is a matching single-sided pedal coming in the fall, I was talking to the Reps at ATOC last month and they confined it
  • The dimpling is supposed to be more aero...hmmm maybe. Reminds me of the Vortice aero helmet

Other than the squeak which is really effing annoying after 50-60 miles I really like them, the reduced wear factor alone was the big appeal and I think the extra grip works really well.

Quick review and a bunch of photos here http://quadrathon.blogspot.com/...edals-zero-aero.html
Last edited by: Quadrathon: Jun 3, 15 16:33
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Quadrathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine doesn't squeak at all. Have about 500 miles on them. Check to make sure everything is tight. And, of course, well lubed with Speedplay's dry lube.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Mine doesn't squeak at all. Have about 500 miles on them. Check to make sure everything is tight. And, of course, well lubed with Speedplay's dry lube.

Just ordered some an hour an hour ago. Since I run in T1 and T2 with my bike shoes on, hope this work.

In 10 years I have never lubed my speedplays or put dry lube on them. I just ordered a lube gun. Where you you put the dry lube?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lube gun is for the pedals themselves. You take out the small screw on the outside and then use the gun to push grease through the bearings; the old grease comes out on the axle side of the pedal body.

The dry lube goes on the springs on the cleats. Basically, just put the tip of the bottle on the spring and then squeeze lightly as you follow the contour of the spring.

My *GUESS* is that these will be less likely to jam if you run in them in T1/T2. But if you really want to be 100% sure, you could always leave the covers in and then take the covers off when you get to your bike. It's really easy to take the covers out and then just put them in a pocket or whatever.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When regreasing the bearings remember to rotate the pedals. There are some pretty short but helpful videos on Speedplay's website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asking you, Jordan, as it sounds like you might have a connection with Speedplay.

Do you have any idea when/how to obtain the aero cleat surround kit (part #14215) that you need for the cleats to make a nice and flush profile with shoes made for 3-hole cleats? I've been reaching out to Speedplay, but no luck in getting an answer far. I haven't been able to find that kit for sale anywhere.

It sounds like the one-sided aero pedal should come in the fall according to a post further up in this thread, so will have to wait a bit for that.

FWIW, I've been riding with the aero walkable cleats for maybe a couple of hundred miles and so far no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Do you have any idea when/how to obtain the aero cleat surround kit (part #14215) that you need for the cleats to make a nice and flush profile with shoes made for 3-hole cleats? I've been reaching out to Speedplay, but no luck in getting an answer far. I haven't been able to find that kit for sale anywhere.

How did I not notice this.. ok I didn't read the directions that is how but still I am interested in the answer as well! My pic on the last page shows how goofy they look without that.

I don't know the mileage on mine adhd been strong lately and slacking on training. But no squeeks here I did lube them right after I installed them and at least once since then, I've had knee problems forever so I think I"m just sensitive to the release tension and can tell quickly when they need a little squirt.

The few outside rides i have had them on for I also forget they are there, in a positive way in that I no longer even think about walking around in cleats. If the road cleats weren't a year old they would get switched over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my left cleat always creaks, also the left pedal is always the one that fails, and it seems to be a common theme according to the shop

only way I can get left not to creak is to totally twist heel as far away from bike as possible.(not natural)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is there no online retailer of these!?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Asking you, Jordan, as it sounds like you might have a connection with Speedplay.

It sounds like the one-sided aero pedal should come in the fall according to a post further up in this thread, so will have to wait a bit for that.

FWIW, I've been riding with the aero walkable cleats for maybe a couple of hundred miles and so far no problems.

#14215 doesn't have a hard date yet. It's supposed to come out WITH the aero pedal, though, based on the latest conversation I had with Speedplay, so expect it in the fall.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

https://sugru.com/ works great until the real thing is available.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
MTM wrote:

#14215 doesn't have a hard date yet. It's supposed to come out WITH the aero pedal, though, based on the latest conversation I had with Speedplay, so expect it in the fall.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping a bit sooner, but I guess I'm in for some waiting time then.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
my left cleat always creaks, also the left pedal is always the one that fails, and it seems to be a common theme according to the shop

only way I can get left not to creak is to totally twist heel as far away from bike as possible.(not natural)

I've also noticed the left pedal seems to need regreasing sooner than the right one. My theory is the right one might be a bit shielded from splashes from the front wheel because of the chain ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

Quote:

https://sugru.com/ works great until the real thing is available.

Almost forgot about Sugru. Not sure it's technically UCI legal, though - and probably will mostly make a difference aesthetically. Seing how UCI doesn't care about all the custom stuff for the hour record, though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a little slow and just saw the pedal is now available too. (ad from excel sports)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about aero , i'm sure you will lose more when you brake early on the curve or scratch you knee:-)... every body focus on aero , at this level is so minimal you will never see any difference... com on....
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Quadrathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quadrathon wrote:
I have nearly 1000 miles on these since installing them last month. Some observations;
  • As noted the covers are specific to the new cleats, you cannot retro fit them to older cleats
  • They haven't fallen off yet
  • They are shoe specific you can't mix them up
  • My right one squeaks sometimes although this may be a function of a service on the actual pedal, going back to the LBS on this
  • They are significantly grippier aon the floor than the basic bare metal version, making it easier in T2
  • Obviously there is reduced wear on the actual metalwork of the cleat
  • There is a matching single-sided pedal coming in the fall, I was talking to the Reps at ATOC last month and they confined it
  • The dimpling is supposed to be more aero...hmmm maybe. Reminds me of the Vortice aero helmet

Other than the squeak which is really effing annoying after 50-60 miles I really like them, the reduced wear factor alone was the big appeal and I think the extra grip works really well.

Quick review and a bunch of photos here http://quadrathon.blogspot.com/...edals-zero-aero.html

After 3000km, the jury is still out on these for me. Walking is a little easier. If you are thinking these are going to make you a lot faster running in T1/2, I think that is overreaching. These are more for the quiet coffee shop walk...they are less slippery and I would agree they would probably keep your cleats cleaner. (I've never had my regular speedplay cleats fouled from walking on anything though.) Aero? I'll say marketing.

Ignorantly, I did not realize the plastic cup was just a cap; so when it feel off, I had no idea. (that is how marginal the differences in walkability are to me at least...didn't even notice until I paid attention to the metallic clank of my left foot.) Unfortunately, that shredded the cleat very quickly and within 2 months it was dead. I still don't know if it was my LBS or speedplay's Taiwan distributor, but I am getting another set for free, so I'm thankful for the service. I really don't want to have a cleat where I have to make a pavement check for crap falling off every time I uncleat at light.

So...if I needed new cleats, I guess I'd buy these again. Would I rush out the door to replace a perfectly good speedplay cleat? No way.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

• Walking a little easier.
  • They deform
  • They fall off.
  • They seem like a good 'regular replacement expense' for Speedplay.
  • I am 50/50 as to whether I would buy them again.
  • If they do fall off the cleat underneath seems a lot less solid than the standard cleat and they look screwed up pretty quickly. Mine looked trashed after half a ride (They were both there in the morning, had them spectating a tri, walking around on grass - one came off, at the end of the ride home they look like they have not had covers on them for about a month.)

I might be more tempted with standard cleats and third party covers.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I guess I'm weird but I glued rubber strips to the plates on my speedplays and it's really nice, I can run/walk without that metal on the floor issue. Makes the wife much happier when walking around on the hardwood floors too.

I keep asking myself why they didn't do something like this from the factory.

The only downside is if you want to adjust the cleats you have to get the glue/rubber off but I've found that once I'm setup, I'm good.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get how folks have these things fall off. they are flippin snug as hell on my shoes, but I don't tend to walk around that much with them, except for the 1 mile walk I did in them when I flatted in a TTT. My guess would be that the folks experiencing drops have not fully put them on. ie they might seem to be on, but you have to push them a bit further to get the pseudo snap on. I have removed mine to make cleat adjustment and the covers do not just come off. takes a slight bit of effort to remove them. Still dont know the longevity of the cleats vs the standard cleats, but time will tell. Did have to move my wedges to inside the shoes(just resting freely under insole). For direct mount 4 hole shoes, I would use these again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were snug, until they got pulled off at one corner (I guess putting my foot down coming to a stop or twisting or something) and after that they remain stretched. Then they're not snug.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear yours are ok, but you may just be lucky so far. I had my right one fall off on one of my first rides, and found it on the pavement driving around afterwards. I thought it was a one time thing since both stayed on for several rides. Since then, I have had the left one come off numerous times, but not the right (I typically un-click with the left foot). Now I do a check every time I stop. I am decently mechanically inclined and I have done pretty much everything thing I can think of to get them "snug" - all edges are on, etc. I think if you pull to the side too much as you un-click, as opposed to straight up, it catches and pulls off. I like the cleats overall, but knowing the attention I have provided them, and the similar stories from others, I do not think it is not an isolated problem (i.e., not simply user error, but a generally poor (or at least not very durable) design). I plan to add some double sided tape to see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay zero aero walkable [cldtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
must be related to shoe in use. I use a speedplay specific sidi 4 hole direct mount shoe, ie S3.6. mine are not coming off, and I don't use them to skid stop, ie not landing gear. on my shoes I cant see how they would fall off. I have quite a few miles on them thus far too. have removed several times to make adjustment to float and they are still snug. when I first put them on , I thought they were on, but they were not and I only noticed cuz I looked at them from the front and saw the small skew angle on final corner. had to push hard to get that to take.
Quote Reply

Prev Next