Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2x8 Min vs 20 Min FTP test [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was doing four week builds for the first part of this year. After each one I would do an 8 minute test. The first ride of the next build was a 20 minute test. The results were typically within a few watts of each other.
Quote Reply
Re: 2x8 Min vs 20 Min FTP test [Roadhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roadhog wrote:
On TrainerRoad, I actually prefer the 8 min tests over the 20. I know it gets poo poo'd by everyone and I'm cool with that. I understand why. I'm also not trying to be smarter than anyone on ST. However, in the couple times I've compared my performance between the two, I always end up with about 12 more watts on the 8 min test than the 20. That in itself is not an issue, except that if I go with the number from the 20, all my workouts feel way too easy. I'm sure the 20 is a more accurate test, but perhaps my mental toughness is not enough to really push it hard enough in those last few minutes of the 20. If so, then the test is still giving me an artificially low

number....albeit because of my own mental weakness. Whatever...I feel like the 8 min test gives me a number that makes the relative intensity of all my subsequent workouts feel "right". Regardless, I don't think you can ever compare the two (i.e. use the 20 as a baseline and then weeks later use the 8 to measure improvement, or vice versa). To measure improvement you've got to use one consistently.

I've only done the 20 test and two times as I recently started trainerroad but what you're saying is exactly
My experience. My FTP off the 20 (haven't done the 2x 8) has my rides seeking relatively easy. I've stuck with them because maybe my propensity is to go too hard too often and I'm trying to trust that the program is making me better. Also my heart rate seems crazy low (way lower than run).

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply

Prev Next