Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Tri-bike vs. Road Bike for 1 year
Quote | Reply
I am stuck and need your input. I am relatively new to the sport, I started last year and have completed 3 sprint distance races. I have decided to compete in 2 sprints, 3 olympics, and a 70.3 Ironman this year. I would like to get a tri-bike especially for the 70.3. Here is my dilemma, as with most people I am on somewhat of a budget. I have a 1 year old, very nice, full carbon fiber road bike that I love and I want to get a set of wheels for.

My questions are:

Would you race this year in these races on the road bike with wheels and clip on bars, and save money to buy a really nice tri-bike next year (BMC Timemachine TM-01 or Cervelo P5)?

Or...

Buy a tri-bike this year but a lower level one (BMC Timemachine TM-02 105, Cannondale Slice 105, Felt B14 Ultegra) and forego the wheels?

If I buy the bike, neither of my bikes would have decent wheels.

I'd like to hear your thoughts please!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-bike vs. Road Bike for 1 year [bmcintosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your heart is set on a tri bike, go with tat and if need be, then rent super duper race wheels for your A race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy what you can afford and will make you the most happy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks... What would be the most beneficial, the road bike with wheels or a tri-bike with standard OE wheels? I am able to rent wheels for the Ironman but that doesn't help me out in my road races on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmcintosh wrote:
I am stuck and need your input. I am relatively new to the sport, I started last year and have completed 3 sprint distance races. I have decided to compete in 2 sprints, 3 olympics, and a 70.3 Ironman this year. I would like to get a tri-bike especially for the 70.3. Here is my dilemma, as with most people I am on somewhat of a budget. I have a 1 year old, very nice, full carbon fiber road bike that I love and I want to get a set of wheels for.

My questions are:

Would you race this year in these races on the road bike with wheels and clip on bars, and save money to buy a really nice tri-bike next year (BMC Timemachine TM-01 or Cervelo P5)?

Or...

Buy a tri-bike this year but a lower level one (BMC Timemachine TM-02 105, Cannondale Slice 105, Felt B14 Ultegra) and forego the wheels?

If I buy the bike, neither of my bikes would have decent wheels.

I'd like to hear your thoughts please!

What are your plans for after the 70.3? Are you looking to podium in races or are you racing against yourself? The reason I ask is because lots of people who already have nice road bikes just adjust them for tris and do just fine. It would be a shame to drop a lot of money on a tri bike only to decide your road bike would work fine for the racing you do--the money could have been spent on wheels, aero helmet, etc. Personally I would hold off on the tri bike until I knew my road bike was holding me back and I'd be using the tri bike for years.

With that said... If you really want a tri bike you're just not going to get it out of your head and there's nothing wrong with getting one because you want a dedicated tri bike for racing. Keep in mind you don't have to think budget or high-end as your only choices. A P2 is a very nice machine in "budget" clothes; first-rate to begin with and lots of upgrade potential as budget allows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmcintosh wrote:
Thanks... What would be the most beneficial, the road bike with wheels or a tri-bike with standard OE wheels? I am able to rent wheels for the Ironman but that doesn't help me out in my road races on my road bike.

Your body is by far the biggest source of drag. I recall reading somewhere that the first buy in aero-ness should be...an aero helmet that suits you--a long tail is meaningless if you cant keep it low against your body.

Then clothing that's form fitting and doesn't bunch or wrinkle or flap around.

I think wheels come next assuming you're on an aero frame road bike.

But when it comes to going fast there is one universal rule that trumps all others:
It's the engine that counts the most!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bmc tm01 not sure if it is as aero as other companies.
You can always go for a p3 its just as good as a p5
Felt da1 2015 frameset is preety cheap

You can always borrow or rent aero wheels during a race its better to save up to whichever uber frame you like rather than worry about wheels first.

Di2 costs can be dealth with through proper channels
Sram red is a lot cheaper

Rain*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would buy a simple tri bike, as even a simple FeltB series is going to be way faster and more comfortable than a fancy 14.999 pound $10k road bike....
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-bike vs. Road Bike for 1 year [iswimslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iswimslow wrote:
Keep in mind you don't have to think budget or high-end as your only choices. A P2 is a very nice machine in "budget" clothes; first-rate to begin with and lots of upgrade potential as budget allows.

There's truth in this. Buying a bike like the p2 will give you a frame that's not likely to ever hold you back. Next year, you can add to it a nice aerobar and some wheels. Then maybe hydraulic breaks or di2. The p2 is the ultimate blank canvas that you can upgrade over time as your budget allows, and in the meantime isn't likely to be a reason for missing a podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Tri-bike vs. Road Bike for 1 year [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can probably accomplish all your objectives if you look for used. In classifieds forum a mint recent year model beautiful Felt B16 just sold for $900. It may still be for sale. You can find great deals on wheels as well. You can find a 1250 to 1300 gram Zipp 404 wheelset with tires for $600 to $700. Usually people selling them have used only for their races. Another option is to consider Cervelo S5 or other aero type road bike. I purchased S5 a few years ago for road and tri and it has been great. I purchased mint condition 2008 zipp 404 tubular wheelset with tires and spare for $650. They actually looked brand new and were perfectly true when I got them. The bike plus 404s is magical for road or tri now. I even experienced the feel and ride of tubulars and now I don't want to take them off for training rides.

In summary if you look you can get a $1500 to $1600 sub 16lb tri bike by going used. It will be used probably 2013 or before and 10 speed but it will be faster and lighter than most newer bikes for twice the price.
Last edited by: RRWJ: Feb 28, 15 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. I spent 5 hours at my LBS today trying 3 different bikes. I had already had a professional GURU fit done so I was able to get on the actual bike, have it fitted to me, and ride on the trainer. While I was there one of the local "pros" came in and we where talking. He said get a bike and rent the wheels this year, which is the way I was leaning. He said he very rarely rides on his carbon wheels except race day. In the end I purchased a new Cannondale Slice, it fit and felt the best!

Thanks again everyone!
Quote Reply