Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LBS Recall Procedure?
Quote | Reply
I have one of the recalled Zipp 88 hubs. I took my 404 to my LBS and he seemed a bit annoyed by it and tried to tell me it would take weeks (even though I had already spoken to Zipp/Sram and knew better). Anyway, he said he would take care of it then pointed out I didn't buy the wheel from him (I didn't live near his shop back in 2010). The next day he called me to come pick up my wheel. When I arrived, he had boxed it and told me to ship it to SRAM. He said to us FedEx. Shipping via FedEx was $50.

Anyway, is this normal protocol? I would assume he would have sent it to SRAM/Zipp using their FedEx account or something. I didn't expect him to just box it then make me come pick it up and ship it. Perhaps I should have went to a larger shop here locally that handles more of these, but he is the best mechanic I have found around who I always go to (for service, they don't have much in the way of products) and is a SRAM dealer. SRAM simply told me to take it to "any SRAM dealer" which is basically every bike shop.

I wasn't really thinking at the time, but now I wish I had just taken it out of the box and taken it to the larger local shop for handling.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Recall Procedure? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you generally pay return shipping on warranty claims, but i'd think recall is different. in any case, i find a charge of $50 to be surprisingly high for a wheel
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Recall Procedure? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that was for ground!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike shop told me it will take a couple of weeks, however, they also told me that Zipp gave them a $40 credit for packing materials/shipping and that it wouldn't cost me a thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a recall wheel also, waiting for it to return from Zipp. I just dropped it off at my LBS (and I didn't buy the wheel from them, i bought it used from ST) and they said they'd call when they got it back. no $ was discussed. Is your LBS a certified Zipp dealer? Not sure if that makes a difference but my LBS is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there should be no cost to you. You should find a new shop. the procedure is pretty simple. The shop calls SRAM, they issue an RA# and call-tag for the wheel. The wheel goes to zipp for repair. they are saying 3-day turnaround for new hub and spokes and they ship it back to your shop. The shop really doesn't have to do anything except box the wheel for you and SRAM provides a credit to them for that.

You can call SRAM direct and discuss it if you want: 800.346.2928

http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/support/SRAM_ZIPP_88_Consumer_Notice.pdf
Quote Reply