Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only have 'The Hunted'... Its as hard as i want to make it, but I win every time!

GatorDeb wrote:
I'm not training for any race right now, just looking to shed some lbs (and doing weight training also). I got all the Sufferfest videos because I do have a triathlon background and I enjoy those kinds of videos and I love the trainer but I got them solely to lose weight.

Which would you say are the hardest?

Assuming you have an accurate FTP/HR and then base the workout exactly as described Hell hath no fury is the hardest, but its hard because its a poorly designed workout. There is basically no warmup and you go right into a long 100% threshold interval. But this is not rally what you are looking for.

9 hammers might be one of the best hard workouts, its very hard but designed well.

Since you are looking for some general weight loss i would look at revolver, 16x1 minute all out, 1 minute recovery. Or downward spiral which is two sets of (2, 1:45, 1:30, 1:15, 1, :45, :30, :15) with equal work to rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nine Hammers or ISLAGIATT.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My two are ISLAGIATT and the Wretched. I only managed to get through wretched the other night on my 4th attempt via TrainerRoad. Don't know what it is about that one but it's always been my demon, pretty happy to get through it
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [BubbaKardashian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BubbaKardashian wrote:
Another vote for Hell Hath No Fury as hardest. It's hard enough to hold your threshold for 2x20's, much less with all the above-threshold time plus attacks. I will say, however, that the 3:30 TTT at the end is my absolute favorite 3:30 in all of Sufferlandria. The visuals and soundtrack are amazing. I have literally cried afterwards, multiple times. Of course, that may have been because of the previous 2x20's ...

I find 9 Hammers and Revolver to be very manageable if you ride to accurate levels. Minimal number of RPE 10's in 9H, none in Revolver. Angels OTOH is sneaky-hard; by the time you get to the last 8 minute section you're ready to crack if you overshot by even a little early on. And agree that ISLAGIATT is brutal. Long, long, boring, and did I mention long?

Favorite: 9 Hammers. Incredibly perfect workout. Just when you think you're going to crack, it's time for a recovery. Very, very well-designed workout. Kudos to NealHe. Second favorite: The Blender. Same comments. Local Hero is pretty well-designed, too.

For what its worth, Its APEXCOACH and not NealHe... two different people with the same name.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
Assuming you have an accurate FTP/HR and then base the workout exactly as described Hell hath no fury is the hardest, but its hard because its a poorly designed workout. There is basically no warmup and you go right into a long 100% threshold interval. But this is not rally what you are looking for.

I wholly agree with this. HHNF isn't a very good "workout" at all. I'd classify it more as a race simulation in a break.

Typically I do HHNF as 2x20@95%, follow all the cadence changes and only do the 9,10 value efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
They can all be really easy if you are sandbagging on RPE, or even power if your FTP is set low. If you are using them with a power meter and have a fair estimate of your FTP from a test where you tried your hardest, then they are all rock hard!!

In particular, Hell Hath No Fury running at 100% with an accurate FTP is really really hard. Almost impossible!!

totally agree. this is not "the classic 2x20min" workout, as it's billed in some places. It's a 30min wind to zone 4+, followed by another, then a 3min race at vo2 max levels (by which time you no longer care and have already given up on tomorrow's workout, so you may as well go ahead and go for it) . . . of all the SF videos, HHNF has by far my lowest level of completion %age.

ISLAGIATT was nearly impossible on the first try but has gotten easier.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bit of a resurrection, but it is trainer season and the tour of sufferlandria is coming up in two months.

Like most I think HHNF is the hardest. Although I got beat up by revolver yesterday, stopped after 11 or 12 after losing something like 40 watts in one interval. Tried to get started again after a couple minutes, but couldn't balance on the rollers without wobbling all over the place starting up (normally not a problem for me). Decided to call it after that.

I have trouble with half is easy also, but not to the same extent. I'll crack about 2/3 of the way thru the second set.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do 'em all at 65-75% (trainerroad). Far more enjoyable.

Does someone come to pick up my man card or is there a drop-off box?
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use Revolver anymore but do the same workout essentially.

my FTP is right at 310, so I essentially do 1 minute repeats as hard as I can go and try to hold between 400-410 watts. The first 5 are rough, the second 5 are ungodly painful, and I can usually get 2-3 more in before my legs scream for mercy and I can barely put out the watts.

I up the ante and try to hold 410+ watts for 5 rounds but take more time off after the 5, and even then, it really hurts.

so yeah, my hat goes off to Revolver if you really push yourself and are true to your power zones and try to maintain.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did some of the new videos this last weekend. TBTITW was INCREDIBLY hard. But the hardest sufferfest video ive done thus far:

ISLAGIATT
Revolver
TBTITW
Angels
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I do 'em all at 65-75% (trainerroad). Far more enjoyable.

Does someone come to pick up my man card or is there a drop-off box?

chapeau

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:
I did some of the new videos this last weekend. TBTITW was INCREDIBLY hard. But the hardest sufferfest video ive done thus far:

ISLAGIATT
Revolver
TBTITW
Angels

This. At 100% of FTP it's even odds if I make them to the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

After taking a month off anything intense post Ironman - Would you retest FTP or just jump back in right at your peaking FTP?
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [NavEEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NavEEd wrote:

After taking a month off anything intense post Ironman - Would you retest FTP or just jump back in right at your peaking FTP?

I would retest, personally. The test itself is a decent workout so its not like you're missing much by doing it. I'm looking forward to retesting after my current training plan ends in two weeks. I'm not looking forward to the next sufferfest following resetting my FTP.

Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always retest. I find that just going through the four week build on TR that I wind up riding Local Hero at +10W on week 4 vs week 1 (and usually at a lower HR).

These workouts were a game changer for me last year. I finished IMFL on Nov 7, took about a week off, and am now on week 3 of another build. Addicting doesn't begin to describe it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you qualifying the +10W, just the actual average vs the TR target average?

I did the rookie at +9 according to TR but I'm not sure how much consistently being 20 or so watts high on the recoveries affects it. Being able to remove AR intervals from the average entirely would be nice.

Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally week one means I'm riding at a new / higher ftp. I'll attempt to hit the targets but likely come up a little short that first week or two. By week three I'm riding right at the targets, and by week four I'm at or slightly above them. The +10 is based on the NP of the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did ISLAGIATT for the 1st time today. My TSS was 155, despite the fact that I missed one of the jumps on the run in to the finish, owing to aspirating some Cytomax during the preceding (short) recovery and coughing to the point of near puking. I guess that I would have lost IRL. Gotta work on that. I think that the 'hardest' really reflects a mismatch between the training effort required and the power profile of the rider. Me, I love to hate Fight Club. The jumps take their toll on me. ISLAGIATT? Hard, sure, but not impossible with a FTP from two weeks ago that seems pretty spot on. But ISLAGIATT does not have the many 9/10 jumps that Fight Club does - my weakness.
Quote Reply
Re: Toughest Sufferfest workouts? [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:
I did some of the new videos this last weekend. TBTITW was INCREDIBLY hard.

+1. It's hard for me to get off the bike without cramping after this one.

I recently did HHNF and Revolver for the first time in awhile. Both were much worse than I remember from several rounds of FTP testing ago. I'd say these are the three I really dread right now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next