Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedals, dura ace vs ultegra
Quote | Reply
Please refrain from suggesting other brands thanks.

I have a pair of dura ace pedals 7810 from couple years back
Getting a new set, are the new ultegras better than
The older dura ace? Or the latest dura ace set is a way to go?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals, dura ace vs ultegra [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dura-Ace pedals have an extra set of bearings, where the Ultegra/105 pedals have a bushing. That might make a tiny, tiny difference in durability and possible pedal resistance. Unlike other pedal brands, all Shimano pedals use the steel axles (no titantium), so there it is really rather small technical differences between the models, and that is mostly in a slight weight savings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 105 and Dura Ace pedals. If buying a new set, I would get 105s. If I had extra money and my bike was black, I would buy Ultegra. If I found an extra $100 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife to a nice dinner. If I found $1000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife on a trip.

If I found $5,000,000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and a house with enough space to store my bikes.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals, dura ace vs ultegra [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just checked and it looks like the DA9000 pedals weigh 10g less than the Ultegra 6800 pedals.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the weight is negligible I think it's
In now they're made
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
105 PD-5800 270g
Ultegra PD-6800 260g
DA PD-9000 250g

I can fart 10g twice :) Save your money.

That said Competitive Cyclist has the PD-6800 for $129 right now (105 is normally $145)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals, dura ace vs ultegra [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here I am riding on PD-R550s at 310g with my biggest concern being "Will my shoe stay clipped in?"

Even at 40g more than the 105s, I see no reason to replace them until the bearings/bushings fail. The weight is not the issue at all when my own body weight can probably fluctuate 40g in a span of less than an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals, dura ace vs ultegra [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a couple of pairs of the 105 PD-5800 for $84 each on Amazon... very happy with them and my wife liked the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference that is being overlooked is the stack height. If you look closely at them, the dura ace has slightly less stack than the ultegra. This means that your foot is moving in more of a circle with dura ace.

marceves.com
Last edited by: skiermarc127: Jan 29, 15 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals, dura ace vs ultegra [skiermarc127] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skiermarc127 wrote:
The biggest difference that is being overlooked is the stack height. If you look closely at them, the dura ace has slightly less stack than the ultegra. This means that your foot is moving in more of a circle with dura ace. Also, that has the ability to open your hip angle by however many millimeters.

Is it really worth the extra money? In my opinion not really, but it is yet another way to gain the extra space needed to open up your hips.

Or you could just set your saddle one or two millimeters higher.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by skiermarc127 [ In reply to ]
Re: Pedals, dura ace vs ultegra [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a couple of pairs of the 105 PD-5800 for $84 each on Amazon... very happy with them and my wife liked the price.

You can get the SL 5800 (carbon) for $76 shipped (if order is over ~$150), no tax. Ribble in the UK. I bought aluminum 105s for $45 last year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to all of the above note that the DA 9000 pedals are currently the only ones available in the long spindle (+4mm) option. I have a pair and they did wonders for my knees. If I didn't need that I would buy ultegra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I have 105 and Dura Ace pedals. If buying a new set, I would get 105s. If I had extra money and my bike was black, I would buy Ultegra. If I found an extra $100 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife to a nice dinner. If I found $1000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife on a trip.

If I found $5,000,000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and a house with enough space to store my bikes.

HA! I like your attitude
Quote Reply