Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST)
Quote | Reply
She came 11th in the 35-59 age group.

http://www.mundotri.com.br/...no-ironman-do-havai/

Google Translation

The Brazilian triathlete Silvia Fusco was suspended by the use of EPO ( erythropoietin ) after examination in the Hawaii Ironman in 2014. Silvia will be suspended for two years by WTC , organizer of the Ironman .

In a letter , the athlete - best overall amateur in Ironmna Florianópolis 2014 - presented the reasons that led to this decision :
" I have not omitted me in no time about what happened . I was myself who communicated the WTC directly letter about what happened , even before their phone contact.

I made a desperate decision to endure to prove because my doctor told me two weeks before the race I could not bear to do it with the many injuries that occurred after the Ironman Brazil and loss of fitness. I rested for almost two months. I took painkillers and mountains and the hormone to try to train these last two weeks before travel and ensure I to get to the end of the Ironman . Did not mean to make performance improvements , if only because it would be impossible in the state I was in. I just wanted to finish the race . My physical condition was far below normal.

I know it was a blunder without excuse. I blame myself for not having thought this thru.

I want to make clear that I made the decision and I did everything alone . My former coach did not even dream about it.

I take my mistake and I will serve the sentence in all its rigor. It is sad to see over 20 years of Triathlon are now judged by a childish mistake I made , because I could not handle my endless injuries and the frustration of not being able to prove .

Since I stopped professionally ( some people know it means ) do an expensive psychiatric treatment for coping with the decrease in the volume of training and the fact that he received in 2011 the diagnosis of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder for physical conditioning . It was a great failure. Kona was a dream and I crossed the line . I'll recover with the help of friends and family .

The content of this statement is exactly the same as I sent the WTC , to Kate Mittelstadt , which is a spectacular person and takes care of my process . They were extremely human with me . She will publish my letter in the WTC site briefly .

I thank MundoTRI the opportunity to expose what really happened . I apologize to everyone . "

Kona Ironman World Championship- View Silvia Helena Fusco 35 October 11th 2014 HI 10:57:37

Ironman Brazil- View SILVIA FUSCO 35 May 25th 2014 SAN 9:54:32

Ironman 70.3 World Championships- View Silvia Fusco 35 September 7th 2013 NV 5:09:14

Ironman Brazil 2011- View Silvia Fusco May 29th 2011 SAN 10:20:28

Ironman Brazil 2010- View Silvia Fusco May 30th 2010 SAN 10:15:56

Ironman Brazil- View SILVIA FUSCO May 31st 2009 SAN 10:21:54

Iroman Brazil 2006- View SILVIA HELENA FUSCO May 28th 2006 SAN 10:26:24

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least she stood up and was honest. I give her lots of credit for that. Took the blame and did not blame a doc, coach, or anything else.

I wish her luck with her journey since she seems to admit she has other issues in her life to deal with.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
At least she stood up and was honest. I give her lots of credit for that. Took the blame and did not blame a doc, coach, or anything else.

ROTFL.

It is the old "I only doped because of injury and the one--ONE!--time I doped, I was unlucky enought to get caught" excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No kidding, her results are pretty consistent over the years :/

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Wetfeet [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This'll stir a few...

Glad you got caught you dickhead...
No one else gives a shit that you define yourself through sport, get some perspective, whats more there a heap of clean amateurs, who rock up to the sport after 20 weeks training and piss on your times... So it seems with or without drugs you were shit anyway..

OK thats out of the system...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad she was busted. Wish WTC would be more public about the bust and penalty. Maybe two years is sufficient from WTC races, but the ban from Kona should be for life.

The question was raised in another thread and I never saw an answer: will she now receive a WADA ban? Ban from WTC races isn't nearly as powerful as a total ban from all WADA signatory races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd heard about all this AG testing at Kona for the past two years now, but no reports of a single positive. The skeptic in me wondered whether they were just taking samples for show and subsequently flushing them. So, this is good news to me. As is the fact that many AGs have been tested at Kona for two years and this is the sole positive, as far as I'm aware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine just because the elite female road race champion of Brazil (cycling). She was 2nd, but the winner of her race got popped for EPO along with three or so others at the same championship. (Not all in her race though.) My friend is a dual citizen and lives in the US and has long complained that Brazil has a real problem.

http://sports.yahoo.com/...b2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

This is supposed to be in pink, right?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She took EPO in the weeks before the race due to an injury?

Maybe a native Portuguese speaker can lend some nuance to what the translation says.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like she claims she took it after being worn down due to IM Brazil. Then she lost fitness as a result and only took EPO so she could "finish" the race.

What a load of crap.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is a rather straightforward way to manage AG doping in Ironman.

At every race, each qualifier for Kona or 70.3 WCs is tested, right there in the roll down meeting. Knowing WTC, they could even manage to turn a buck on this by charging for the tests. (either explicitly or as part of the fee)

In addition to the qualifiers, throw a few random tests in there to stir up the nest, but I think most of the doping has to be coming from AG'ers hoping to qualify.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

At every race, each qualifier for Kona or 70.3 WCs is tested, right there in the roll down meeting. Knowing WTC, they could even manage to turn a buck on this by charging for the tests. (either explicitly or as part of the fee)

In addition to the qualifiers, throw a few random tests in there to stir up the nest, but I think most of the doping has to be coming from AG'ers hoping to qualify.

While I agree that it would be awesome if they could do that, it would be an astronomical expense. Consider that USADA only conducted 265 tests in triathlon last year. Testing all 70.3 worlds and Kona qualifiers would be approximately 4000 tests. I realize that it would be a different organization conducting the test and incurring the expense, but I just don't see how that is feasible.

Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
Darren325 wrote:

While I agree that it would be awesome if they could do that, it would be an astronomical expense. Consider that USADA only conducted 265 tests in triathlon last year. Testing all 70.3 worlds and Kona qualifiers would be approximately 4000 tests. I realize that it would be a different organization conducting the test and incurring the expense, but I just don't see how that is feasible.

I'd say just increase the perception that you'll get tested. Every qualifier pees into a cup, but no one knows who gets tested. Don't announce how many actual tests will be administered. I'm guessing that would suffice as a deterrent. That's a lot of piss, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

So every qualifier has to cough up an additional $1000 for testing on top of the price to register for Kona? And anyone intentionally doping with a good shot at Kona knows he will be tested so he dopes during training and stops a bit before the race to prevent testing positive, making testing useless except to catch dopers who did not think they would qualify or (more likely) people taking OTC meds and supplements that they did not know contained prohibited substances. Brilliant.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Darren325 wrote:

So every qualifier has to cough up an additional $1000 for testing on top of the price to register for Kona? And anyone intentionally doping with a good shot at Kona knows he will be tested so he dopes during training and stops a bit before the race to prevent testing positive, making testing useless except to catch dopers who did not think they would qualify or (more likely) people taking OTC meds and supplements that they did not know contained prohibited substances. Brilliant.

Is it a natural condition for so many posters here to simply flame others?

Fine that it is not a workable idea. As others pointed out, some modifications might help. Perhaps more helpful would be your contribution to a discussion of something that might make an effective impact. Nothing will stop a determined doper, but what can mitigate it and move towards a fairer system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I wish her luck with her journey since she seems to admit she has other issues in her life to deal with.

This is an absolutely ridiculous stance to take given some of the stuff you've been posting in other threads. Flip-flopping like a champ.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Sbradley11 wrote:
Darren325 wrote:

I'd say just increase the perception that you'll get tested. Every qualifier pees into a cup, but no one knows who gets tested. Don't announce how many actual tests will be administered. I'm guessing that would suffice as a deterrent. That's a lot of piss, though.

That would definitely be a good way to start. Even if only a few are tested. It's at least a feasible jumping off point.

Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Female Age Grouper at KONA (EPO BUST) [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
While I agree that it would be awesome if they could do that, it would be an astronomical expense.

Come on now, everyone knows most people doing IM love finding another excuse to waste money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

Yes, it is important that we catch the stupid dopers, which is what your suggestion can only hope to do.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
She came 11th in the 35-59 age group.

http://www.mundotri.com.br/...no-ironman-do-havai/

Google Translation

Yeah... no. Here is my translation of her letter:

"I have not left myself out at any time regarding what I did. It was me who communicated with the WTC directly via letter about what happened, prior to their phone call.

I did a stupid, desperate thing to be able to finish the race because my doctor said two weeks prior to the race that I wouldn't be able to finish due to many injuries I suffered after Ironman Brasil, as well as loss of fitness. I didn't train for practically two months. I took tons of painkillers and EPO to try to train for the last two weeks and to be able to finish the race. My form was far below normal.

I know it was an unbelievable blunder. I blame myself for not having thought it through.

I want to make clear that I made the decision and did everything alone. My former coach would never have dreamed of it.

I take responsibility for my mistake and will serve my penalty in full. It is sad to see more than 20 years of triathlon now judged by a ridiculous mistake I made, because I could not deal with my endless injuries and the frustration of not being able to race.

Since I ended my professional career (some people close to me know what this means), I have been receiving expensive psychiatric treatment to deal with my lower training volume and my 2011 diagnosis of training-related OCD. This was a big mistake. Kona was my dream and I crossed the line. I will recover with help from my friends and family.

The content of this statement is exactly the same as I sent to the WTC -- to Kate Mittelstadt, a wonderful person who is in charge of my process. They were extremely humane with me. She will publish a brief of my letter on the WTC website.

I'm grateful to MundoTRI for the opportunity to explain what really happened. I apologize to everyone."

Google translate. Hmph :-)

-Eric
Quote Reply

Prev Next