Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vineman 140.6 signup buddy needed
Quote | Reply
Hi-
I'm ready to sign up for the 2015 Vineman 140.6 and need a "buddy" to sign up with to get a discount. Prices go up after 12/31. Anyone interested in signing up?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 140.6 signup buddy needed [Dfeehrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy 2015! Did you find anyone to sign up with? I know it was the least inexpensive before the first 12/31 cutoff, but I spent the holidays thinking about whether or not to do this 140.6 as my first and I don't think I'll ever feel 'ok' unless I just sign up for it. Let me know if you're still planning on doing it and need a 'buddy' for the discount.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 140.6 signup buddy needed [mv2015training] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Myself and few friends are signed up for vineman 140.6, we are looking for places to stay. I see that you did the race last year, can i ask where you stayed? We are traveling from the east coast so we are deciding on how many days prior to the race we should actually be out there. I was thinking of arriving late wednesday or early thursday morning, any adivce?
Any other advice for the race or surrounding areas?
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi-
Thanks for replying. I did find a local buddy to sign up with at the 11th hour before the price hike. Good news is that i think the price only increased $20. Its still well worth it find a buddy. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 140.6 signup buddy needed [Dfeehrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok! Thank you for the update. See you there, good luck and have fun training!!
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 140.6 signup buddy needed [mkrosemeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkrosemeyer wrote:
Myself and few friends are signed up for vineman 140.6, we are looking for places to stay. I see that you did the race last year, can i ask where you stayed? We are traveling from the east coast so we are deciding on how many days prior to the race we should actually be out there. I was thinking of arriving late wednesday or early thursday morning, any adivce?
Any other advice for the race or surrounding areas?
thanks

Hi! The photo you're probably seeing is from the Vineman Monte Rio last year. We stayed at Northwood Lodge in Monte Rio. The 140.6 takes place in the neighboring city of Guerneville. In case you're still interested, Northwood Lodge is about 20 miles (30 min drive) from Packet Pick-up/Expo/T2/Finish but ~5 min (3 miles) from the Swim start. I've actually done the courses for the 140.6 for fun/random weekend training (with exception of the run) following the maps and directions posted on the site without actually having done the official raceday 140.6; I live only a couple hours away.

The swim is fast. California's had a major drought this past year so the water was really shallow (there were parts where we could stand and run). Also due to the drought and shallower water = warmer water; I'd overheat in my full wetsuit. I'm considering investing in a sleeveless this season since I've been accustomed to swimming in the frigid SF Bay regularly. What normally takes me about 1:45 at cruising speed for 2.2mi under the Golden Gate Bridge back to shore took me about an average of 1:20 for the 2.4 in the Russian River. The water early in the morning is a scene from a movie with the fog skimming the surface and the sun peeking through the trees.

The bike course was great. You'll pass through vineyards and some slow rolling hills. The first time I did the bike course a couple years ago was the first time I'd ever really gotten on my newly-purchased bike. At the time, I hadn't ridden any more than one 20-mile ride and a couple short distances in the city before doing the full 112 course one Sunday afternoon. I had no bike training at the time but got through the course (with my cousins who were training for the 140.6) with a pitstop for lunch at this small sandwich shop attached to a store with souvenirs and antiques on the route all in a little over 7 hours. With that said, I was at my top swimming shape so that might've helped with conditioning and the ability to keep up. More recently, I'm able to get through the bike course with some sweat and still admire the awesome views without a problem.

As for the run-- I'd only done it once and only 10k worth of the actual course. In the 10k that I'd done it was very flat and mostly shaded, but hot in the sun.

Again, keep in mind I'm speaking from having done the actual courses as training on other days, not on race day.

If you venture to the Guerneville/Healdsburg/Monte Rio area is a great place to relax and get some peace if that helps you before the race. There are awesome breweries, good hole-in-the-wall places to eat; no shortage of wineries/vineyards; you can take a dip in the Russian River; rent kayaks, etc. I'd always reco coming a little earlier if you can to just hang out while you're out this way anyway, but if you come in Thurs that works too. On Friday you can check the swim start, do an easy ride through part of the bike course, and drive the run course to see what's in store.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone still looking for a signup buddy?
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 140.6 signup buddy needed [zucchini3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! I found someone to sign up with. Good luck and hopefully see you out there on race day!
Quote Reply