Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo 90/90 or 60/Disc
Quote | Reply
Hi all experts,
I am currently using a hed jet 6 and am thinking of getting a new wheels as I want to leave my jet 6 for my road bike and get a new wheels for my new p3. Among the 3 choices above, which is a better one?
My personal preference is siding towards the flo 90 but I am unsure how good the hubs are.. the quality of the hubs seems very normal. I do like the alu braking though which is why I am still keeping the jet.
The williams new 85 seems good.. comparable or even better than the zipps at certain yaw angle. But doesnt seems to have much review on this wheels that I can find.
Swiss side hadron is probably around the same as my jet 6 which probably ride the same too. I would prefer a deeper profile but if no choice, I dont mind getting the swiss side, alu braking too and pretty light.
Any thoughts and recommendation? My riding are 90% flat to rolling terrain.

New question after deciding on the FLO.
Should I get a 90/90 or stay with my Jet 6 front and get a FLO disc?
Which will be more efficient?
Last edited by: yangster88: Dec 21, 14 20:20
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 vs Williams 85 vs Swiss Side Hadron [yangster88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly wouldn't worry about the Flo hubs. They are well built and the bearings are smooth and durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you come up with that random set of wheels? Even when people compare the top end wheels to the Flo 90 people still say go flo. Any reason why you think those two might be different?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 vs Williams 85 vs Swiss Side Hadron [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
How did you come up with that random set of wheels? Even when people compare the top end wheels to the Flo 90 people still say go flo. Any reason why you think those two might be different?

well one dude saw flo side by side with zipp in a wind tunnel and said go zipp

but the price difference there is pretty huge

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 vs Williams 85 vs Swiss Side Hadron [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should've said how is the OP making his decision. .. Fastest? Cheapest? Looks? Best value?

I wasn't suggesting one wheel vs the other .. was more so curious how the group of wheels was selected as the three top choose from
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a note, you're comparing 90, 85, and 60mm rims. Kind of apples/oranges. Whatever you choose, stick with aluminum braking IMO especially for a front. It's the sort of thing you don't appreciate until you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have decided to go with the Flo(no pun intended). Reason being one of my main criteria is the alu braking surface and seems like the hub standard is pretty good too. However now I have another dilema, should I just get a Flo disc instead and continue using my Jet 6 front or simply go with the 90/90. Which will be more efficient?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90/90 or 60/Disc [yangster88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Def 60/disc a 90 front will give steering input from wind at yaw and disc back is more aero than 90 back
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 vs Williams 85 vs Swiss Side Hadron [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Just a note, you're comparing 90, 85, and 60mm rims. Kind of apples/oranges. Whatever you choose, stick with aluminum braking IMO especially for a front. It's the sort of thing you don't appreciate until you need it.
I'd say you're only partially right on the braking. You need more info on the rider to determine that. As a relatively light rider, I feel absolutely dead certain I can stop very quickly if I have to while on my carbon wheels. If you're #250, it's a different story. I'd say yes, alum is probably better, but in an emergency I would have no problem stopping myself if I had to.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 vs Williams 85 vs Swiss Side Hadron [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on both Bontrager and Zipp rims and I weigh 165lbs. I never felt the stopping power of either was more than "adequate".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have no issue with Flo hubs, I have had the wheels for around 18 months and ridden on some poor surfaces.

If you were unfortunate to have an issue the twins at Flo we be on the case pretty quick and have a very personal service.

From what I have read on here and elsewhere a disk trumps pretty much anything and can be used in all conditions.

Perhaps a Flo 60 front and a disk would meet your needs.

Like most on here you'lol be very happy with your Flo purchase but get yourself organised, they go quickly !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not a 90/Disc? That's the most aerodynamic and makes the disc significantly less sensitive to cross winds.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90/90 or 60/Disc [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Discs are not sensitive to cross winds unless your in a hurricane. Your steering axis is your front wheel, not the back wheel.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90/90 or 60/Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have decided to go for the disc and stay put with my jet 6 front wheels with attack tyre. Have also ordered the hirame pump head just to pump the disc.. had experienced with crack pipe and i gave up.
Now wait till the next pre order in feb...hopefully I manage to get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, you're 30lbs heavier than me.

Another thing and I'm not saying you were doing this, but I feel like the ones to complain about stopping power may be inexpierienced riders. Is it possible that they are using too much back and not enough front brake? Cause that will affect you on a lot of wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it you've already placed the order or not .. but when I put a bit of lube on the tip of my crackpipe it slipped right onto the zipp-valve extenders and pumps up perfectly. The crack pipe screws right into my pump too. I've never had any issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90/90 or 60/Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Discs are not sensitive to cross winds unless your in a hurricane. Your steering axis is your front wheel, not the back wheel.

True, but a deeper front tend to equalize the pressure across the entire bike, which acts as a stabilizer. Hence a deeper rear tend to handle better with a deeper front.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 vs Williams 85 vs Swiss Side Hadron [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonKid wrote:
Again, you're 30lbs heavier than me.

Another thing and I'm not saying you were doing this, but I feel like the ones to complain about stopping power may be inexpierienced riders. Is it possible that they are using too much back and not enough front brake? Cause that will affect you on a lot of wheels.

At 165lbs I'm almost certainly below the average weight for a male triathlete (field as a whole) and probably right in the middle of the distribution for MOP-FOP males.

... yes, I know how to brake.

Bontrager is texturing their rims and moving away from cork pads for 2015. Zipp is texturing their firestrike rims. They're doing that for a reason. Aluminum is, simply, superior to carbon and the difference is even more magnified if it's wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, alum is better than carbon for stopping. Hence why I train alum.

Also yes, I'd say you're right in the average weight range. I'm just different. At my last physical for hs track last week I was told I'm tall and lean ;)

But I have never felt at all riding carbon wheels, "gee, these carbon wheels are adequate." Its closer to "gee, if I wouldn't look like a complete poser I'd ride these every day every year."
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 vs Williams 85 vs Swiss Side Hadron [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
mvenneta wrote:

well one dude saw flo side by side with zipp in a wind tunnel and said go zipp

but the price difference there is pretty huge

Interesting. Any data on the test protocol, tires used, etc?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply