Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp?
Quote | Reply
Currently working on sweet spot base low volume. Also swimming 3-4x per week and running 3-4x per week. ThnKs
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When was the last time you tested? When is your next race? Depending on the answers, you may get different responses.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet Spot Base should not be that difficult that you can't hit all your bogeys. It should be challenging, but not impossible. Try and do a Sufferfest and see if its still easy, then we can talk.

You should retest your FTP every 6-8 weeks. I would complete the Low Volume program and retest at the end or right before starting a new program.
Last edited by: tovi: Dec 19, 14 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the "Gray" workout, it's a 2x20 @ FTP and it should feel pretty damn hard and if not then retest FTP.
2x20 is a good workout to do every week anyway. The nice part about it is that you can take the average of the two intervals and that's your FTP. You bump it a couple of watts every 2 weeks and see if you can still do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
Currently working on sweet spot base low volume. Also swimming 3-4x per week and running 3-4x per week. ThnKs

Its not supposed to be tough to hit targets below FTP. Well ofc it will get tougher closer and closer to FTP but it should be doable on a day to day basis. Do some high-end work and you will quickly find out. Try Vandever.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone I'll try some of the higher end workouts and retest after my plan is over. The consistency is really helping though. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this is a dumb question or a repeat one, but which workout should I use to test ftp? About 20+ workouts in and about to complete dc6-2014.
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are FTP tests on trainer road. I believe 1 hour, 20 minute, and 8 minute. I think if you put in Test in the Workout search they will pull up.
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tovi wrote:
Sweet Spot Base should not be that difficult that you can't hit all your bogeys. It should be challenging, but not impossible. Try and do a Sufferfest and see if its still easy, then we can talk.

You should retest your FTP every 6-8 weeks. I would complete the Low Volume program and retest at the end or right before starting a new program.

+1 on the Sufferfest. I was crushing the TR plans and tried the Hell Hath No Fury Sufferfest workout+vid---humbling and addicting!

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tovi wrote:
Try and do a Sufferfest and see if its still easy, then we can talk.

:) Been doing Downward Spiral and A Very dark place among others a bunch this winter. I love the moment of dread I feel right before my next interval starts in A Downward Spiral. Those combined with Trainer Road can be mentally tough, and physically demanding that's for sure.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At what point with sufferfest do you figure its time to do a retest? Once you can actually do the entire workout at the stated Intensity Factor & NP ?
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [Jmath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I just retest every 6-8 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: I can hit all my trainer road plan bogeys-is it time to retest ftp? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Try the "Gray" workout, it's a 2x20 @ FTP and it should feel pretty damn hard and if not then retest FTP.
2x20 is a good workout to do every week anyway. The nice part about it is that you can take the average of the two intervals and that's your FTP. You bump it a couple of watts every 2 weeks and see if you can still do it.

Sweet spot should feel doable but still a good workout. If it's easy you likely need an FTP increase. You don't have to retest, you can just bump your FTP up 5 or so watts and continue. All of our workouts are designed so you can get through them. So just because you can do the workout doesn't mean it's time to retest. If it's been more than 4-6 weeks since you've tested than I recommend retesting.

I also like doing what sp1ke said and use Gray as a measuring stick for my fitness. It's a GREAT workout; probably the most famous power based cycling workout there is. It's just 2x20 at FTP.

We have this "Man Plan" at the office. We do Gray and Starr King (3x15 at FTP). We just keep doing those workouts until we can hit all the targets. Once we can do that, we do a killer VO2 max workout. If we can do that, we bump our FTP up by 5 watts.

I'm not sure if it's the smartest plan though. It can be mentally demoralizing. Most people just quit mid workout after a while (I've done it too :(). I think actually following a normal plan and being able to finish your workouts is probably a better way to get in shape :). It is fun to say "Man Plan" though.

On ST it would be called the "HTFU Plan" :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply