Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months
Quote | Reply
Not overweight here, but that makes it hard for me to lose the 5-10 lbs I'd like to for race weight. I also love food (who doesn't) and now that I'm in the M40-45 age group, the metabolism seems to be gradually slowing and it's much easier to inadvertently put on a few pounds. Still have the 6-pack and all the muscle definition though, so you wouldn't really guess that I've been gaining weight unless you knew me in college. I've tried to 'just eat less', but that usually lasted at most 3 weeks before I got so hungry and grumpy that I couldn't maintain it.

On the advice of a local tricoach as well as reading Don Fink's HIM book, I started a food journal, which is basically just logging literally everything that goes into your mouth, and recording the calories. First time I've ever done it, started 5 wks ago.

I set a target of 0.5lbs weight loss per week. Used a recommendation in Don Fink's book (probably not his uniquely, but he mentions it) of setting a caloric target of 11kcal/pound of current body weight, which will approximate -500calories per day. Added back my burned workout calories to that number for a total daily calorie count. (Yes, you have to calculate the kcal burned per workout.)

I know, it sounds incredibly tedious and laborious, but it really isn't. It's super fast to google search calories, and I use a Google spreadsheet to track it. You do, however, need a $15 food scale to weigh your food - I weight most nonpackaged food now. It's second nature for me now, and after 2 wks of it, most of the foods I ate repeated so it was super easy to track the calories.

After 5 wks, it's been the best thing I've done for my diet, and I've definitely been losing 0.5-0.75lbs per week, reliably. Best part is that I'm never starving - mainly, the diet avoids you overeating, but you have enough calories to power through workouts, even long ones like 2.5hr runs, since you add your activity calories back. VERY sustainable, and no guilt for eating because you log everything. Amazingly, with this method, I've been able to easily resist all the holiday junk food at work quite easily - I can eat it, but it's going to be logged and count into my daily caloric allotment. Also, it's been easier to eat healthy, as I prepare foods at home with good natural ingredients, and since you're mildly hungry when it comes to mealtime, it's easier to eat them even if they're not as tasty as say, a slice of rich pepperoni pizza - that mild hunger makes plain broccoli taste great.

Anyway, just sharing my n=1 experience with this method since I really like it - made something that seemed impossible (losing weight when you're not overweight to begin with) totally doable and sustainable. I'm actually looking forward to getting down to race weight!
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't live a happy life knowing that I would have to spend every day weighing and recording every crumb of food or weighing myself everyday. F that. I choose to enjoy my life by basing my food intake on pleasure and when it comes to quantity, I just go by feel. Life is too short to feel miserable. I'm fortunate that I'm happy with my athletic ability and more importantly, my appearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting, this is something I am going to really attempt to do. I, like you, am not overweight, but at 6'3" and 185 lbs I am pretty huge for a triathlete. I imagine I would probably not suffer so many knee and lower leg issues if I took 10 lbs off the daily pounding, but I have always been one for whom the biggest benefit of workkng outnis the ability to eat whatever I want and keep the 6-pack abs. It has always been enjoyable eating all kinds of garbage and binging on sugar (I am literally addicted), but I'm not training as much these days and the pounds are coming back fast. I have noticed a shift in my mindset as well, I'm not sure if it is due to my desire to improve at tri or just maturity with age but I have become disgusted with the way I eat. I am actually kind of ashamed that I haven't been able to just cut the excessive sugar out of my diet.

So thanks for the idea, I actually think this could help me!

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
I can't live a happy life knowing that I would have to spend every day weighing and recording every crumb of food or weighing myself everyday. F that. I choose to enjoy my life by basing my food intake on pleasure and when it comes to quantity, I just go by feel. Life is too short to feel miserable. I'm fortunate that I'm happy with my athletic ability and more importantly, my appearance.

I used to think like you, but honestly, there has been zero decrease in the quality of my life, and again, I LOVE eating.

If anything, eating has become more fun! It's actually fun to log my calories, learn what I'm eating, and as well, know that I'm constantly progressing in triathlon and health. I actually am enjoying my meals much more, as there is no longer guilt even when I eat a big meal or indulge in some richer delicacies - I just log them and that seems to put a lid on really overdoing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. I started doing something similar after reading Racing Weight and I should probably start doing it again. It's one thing to know what you should eat and how much, but being mindful every day and consistent is the hard part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks...

I did it (half assed) years ago. Logged but didn't weigh food. And, it helped.

Getting on the program ASAP. You're not in my AG so don't worry! :-)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried or thought about trying a tracker app? Saves a ton of time imho.

Tried a few been using My fitness pal since early november and so far it is the best (for me). Has not been a single thing I haven't been able to find. Sometimes a specific brand is missing but there is always something that the label matches. There workout information is a little too generic so I have it sycned with connect and enter my workouts there but then it shows up on my phone so you an account for those calories. Since it is then sync'd to Garmin it showed up in training peaks as well.

Like you I actually enjoy tracking even when sometimes it seems like a hassle, this is coming from someone who also loves food I don't find it takes away from it at all. My GF who doesn't track has even just started weighing random stuff when cooking since it is easier to divide up. She laughed the first time I put a bunch of spaghetti on the scale but I walked into the kitchen 2 weeks go and she was weighing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
Have you tried or thought about trying a tracker app? Saves a ton of time imho.

Tried a few been using My fitness pal since early november and so far it is the best (for me). Has not been a single thing I haven't been able to find. Sometimes a specific brand is missing but there is always something that the label matches. There workout information is a little too generic so I have it sycned with connect and enter my workouts there but then it shows up on my phone so you an account for those calories. Since it is then sync'd to Garmin it showed up in training peaks as well.

Like you I actually enjoy tracking even when sometimes it seems like a hassle, this is coming from someone who also loves food I don't find it takes away from it at all. My GF who doesn't track has even just started weighing random stuff when cooking since it is easier to divide up. She laughed the first time I put a bunch of spaghetti on the scale but I walked into the kitchen 2 weeks go and she was weighing it.

I like the OP's idea of keeping a log as I keep logs/journal of other things with success. I have thought about apps in this regard as well, but what I have found with actually sitting down and writing all things out by hand, it makes me truly mindful of what's going on. Using an app would probably save time but I like the thought process and the time it takes putting things down in writing because I'll most likely have a narrative with data and for me that solidifies everything I'm trying to accomplish.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP said he was using a spreadsheet which is why I suggested the app, especially since he noted looking stuff up on google as the apps have a lot of the info right in them.

I can completely get the writing it out by hand aspect. Despite tracking stuff in garmin and training peaks I have a giant dry erase board I made into a calendar and I track everything I do there, other than food. Doesn't matter that I can go look at my phone and see what I did if I didn't update my board yet I sort of in my mind didn't do it. Food I"d last maybe 3 days doing it by hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
OP said he was using a spreadsheet which is why I suggested the app, especially since he noted looking stuff up on google as the apps have a lot of the info right in them.

I can completely get the writing it out by hand aspect. Despite tracking stuff in garmin and training peaks I have a giant dry erase board I made into a calendar and I track everything I do there, other than food. Doesn't matter that I can go look at my phone and see what I did if I didn't update my board yet I sort of in my mind didn't do it. Food I"d last maybe 3 days doing it by hand.

I like the whiteboard idea. That way its visible for a certain amount of time too. Thanks for the tip

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dforbes wrote:

I like the whiteboard idea. That way its visible for a certain amount of time too. Thanks for the tip

Mine is hung at the top of my stairs (3 story condo/apt) between the living room and kitchen, very visible. Used pin stripe to make 5 weeks worth of boxes and a column to tally up s/b/r/other (hiking, skiing, weight training) both hours and distance. Write my weight each morning in one corner, total hours so far each week in another corner of each days box.

In a former life I worked as a dealer tech so for some time related things I like using 100 units for an hour, makes quick math easier here. I take a pic every 5 weeks before I erase the top line so I can verify it with TP/GC.

I can't decide on rest day or big you suck Xs but eitherway I do them in another color so they stand out, the less green there is more lazy I have been.

(sorry for the slight threadjack)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I briefly tried the Myfitness pal app - I only superficially used it, so it slowed me down compared to my spreadsheet, but I should probably give it a more in-depth try since I've heard good things about it. (I got frustrated briefly after entering 4-5 items and having to scroll through a lot of options, but I'm sure that will get automated/easier if I used it more, will try it again.)

Whiteboard is cool! I mainly use Google spreadsheet since I can get it on all my home and work computers and even phone (I hate entering things on my iphone - anything!) so I have access everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!!!

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an app when I was a big fat ass to get from 270 to 190 a couple years ago. Same concept just more tech I guess. It does help you make better choices and avoid over eating which is something that I am prone to doing.

This last season I used it again to drop down to the low 180s and dropped 1:30 off my 5k in 2 months.

The logging can get tedious but the payoff is huge for those of use that need help getting to race weight.

I've fallen off the wagon since thanksgiving but will be back to carefully logging food on Jan 1. I have big goals this year and will never reach them without taking care of the nutrition.

One more benefit to apps like myfitnesspal is that you can monitor your calorie distribution among proteins fats and carbs as well as vitamins.
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
start today... how many times have you heard a fat person say "I'll start eat good starting tomorrow"?? much too often.

If you've fallen off the wagon since Thanksgiving, its only going to be exponentially more difficult to get back on in January if you let your slide continue through christmas... Its tough, I struggle with it too, but eating treats is only a temporary satisfaction, whereas hitting your big goals next year will bring back so much more!!
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [applefritterz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get it and having been a fat person (270 lbs and pack a day smoker) I know the mantra. The difference is that I did 30 miles on the bike today followed by a 5 mile tempo run and have another 30 mile ride and 10k trail run planned for tomorrow. Pretty sure I'll be okay until 1/1/15. Although I probably should apply your just do it attitude to the pool. Haven't been spending much time there of late.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ate 10 pieces of pizza, and am working on my second pint of IPA.
Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DangerJim71 wrote:
I get it and having been a fat person (270 lbs and pack a day smoker) I know the mantra. The difference is that I did 30 miles on the bike today followed by a 5 mile tempo run and have another 30 mile ride and 10k trail run planned for tomorrow. Pretty sure I'll be okay until 1/1/15. Although I probably should apply your just do it attitude to the pool. Haven't been spending much time there of late.

I still log my food, even on a day like today, which was a 3hr run in AM followed by 1.5hr Vasa workout in late PM. You'd be surprised at how quickly you will eat past even all those calories you burned even on these big workout days. I managed to not only replace all the calories I burned, but ate another 550 on top! (Which is ok, since I'm ahead of my weight loss schedule - closer to -1lbs per week rather than the target -0.5lbs per week.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say thank you, ever since I read this post a while back I have been logging my calories in MyFitnessPal. I haven't been on a diet exactly, I just wanted to get an idea of what I was really eating to see how I was doing. Wow, what an eye opener! I learned a few VERY valuable lessons; first and foremost is how little protein I generally consume. I was under 100g per day, most estimates suggest I eat 160-170g per day for my weight (~180). No wonder I was in such a deep hole at the end of last season, and why I have noticed I am slow to recover. I also noticed that I am a total slob, I was eating almost double the calories I needed each day (even after factoring in workouts) and it was largely junk. Without a plan to diet or lose weight, the simple act of knowing how many calories has made it easy for me to get things under control. I used to have desert with every meal (seriously, often multiple deserts), but now there are days I will go without a desert all day. It just depends on what else I have done. I still go over my recommended calories fairly often, but I generally get enough protein, eat way less sugar, and I feel a lot better. Not surprisingly, I have lost about 10 lbs since mid December. I am now just a couple pounds above my race weight from the past few years and dropping (I normally don't get there until late summer after many long workouts in the blazing heat).

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, yeah I'm not trying to peak or anything. I think my weight loss at this point is purely a result of my body finally getting a somewhat reasonable amount of calories to process and coming back down to a respectable weight. I am kind of interested to see how light I will get without actually trying to lose weight, it can only help my run splits. It's hard to be a world class age grouper when you weigh 175lbs on race day running against the 160lbs guys.

Quote Reply
Re: Food journal was the best thing I've done for my tri in the past 6 months [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
I have to say thank you, ever since I read this post a while back I have been logging my calories in MyFitnessPal. I haven't been on a diet exactly, I just wanted to get an idea of what I was really eating to see how I was doing. Wow, what an eye opener! I learned a few VERY valuable lessons; first and foremost is how little protein I generally consume. I was under 100g per day, most estimates suggest I eat 160-170g per day for my weight (~180). No wonder I was in such a deep hole at the end of last season, and why I have noticed I am slow to recover. I also noticed that I am a total slob, I was eating almost double the calories I needed each day (even after factoring in workouts) and it was largely junk. Without a plan to diet or lose weight, the simple act of knowing how many calories has made it easy for me to get things under control. I used to have desert with every meal (seriously, often multiple deserts), but now there are days I will go without a desert all day. It just depends on what else I have done. I still go over my recommended calories fairly often, but I generally get enough protein, eat way less sugar, and I feel a lot better. Not surprisingly, I have lost about 10 lbs since mid December. I am now just a couple pounds above my race weight from the past few years and dropping (I normally don't get there until late summer after many long workouts in the blazing heat).

Good to hear you're making progress as I did. I'd def recommend getting out of the dessert habit - your weight and body will thank you for it!
Quote Reply