Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Francois wrote:
Staz wrote:

I apologize because I just can't help myself, but the idea of you being coached by a coach who is coached by someone else is hilarious to me just because I don't think that kind of arrangement exists anywhere outside of the triathlon/ST world.

You're mistaken. It's very common in many fields, also outside the athletic world. It's common in music, in the medical world, in science in general, where you can have mentees, yet still have a mentor, or mentors. The relationship may be different at a more expert level, but it's still very present.

Sorry for not being completely clear, but as I just mentioned in my reply to trispoke I just find the trail of athlete-coaches funny because of how much of an (almost) triathlon-specific thing it is. Did not in any way mean that I look down on it or mean that coaches shouldn't have mentors, but rather that it's funny how coaches in our triathlon community are themselves coached (not mentored).

You see it in music a lot as well. It isn't at all unusual for symphony level players(who often have very active teaching studios) getting touch-up lessons with their old college instructors, a colleague whom they admire, playing for the conductor around rehearsal, etc. Much less college students, who will also often teach lessons, because it's utterly fantastic part time work-while preparing for their own qualifying recitals(Fail a recital-you generally gotta switch majors, no matter your grades).

edit: This stuff is generally true in all performing arts, really. Some studio artists also value their colleagues opinions as well.
Last edited by: JSully: Nov 29, 14 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't worry, I'm results certified. ;)

(yes, late to the game here)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if you are looking at someone who has a lot of experience in the sport then they would be pretty reputable. Someone like a current low end pro, retired pro or elite age grouper. You would be surprised how much they know about building out training plans just from trial and error on their part.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by YTZ [ In reply to ]

Prev Next