Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by soulfresca
Last edited by: soulfresca: Oct 31, 14 15:40
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [soulfresca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never done a marathon or IM so I don't know if it is somehow different in one of those races but certainly in all of the races I've done having more spectators has helped. In my last race I felt like dropping out from the start but had nowhere to do it discreetly because of all the spectators! Luckily that was about 39 km shorter than a marathon though and over before I knew it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
l think the more passionate/ involved the fan is- even of it is just one person- the less pain I feel in-game. It's a welcome distraction.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [soulfresca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only LVL has run as fast as Dave and Mark. No matter how many spectators you have on the course the current crop cannot run a 2:40 or less in Kona. Mark and Dave only went that fast in 1989 - as the raced side by side.
More competition would help but you have to be honest - Dave, Mark, and Luc are a genetic class above anyone else before or since when it comes to running in Kona.

Another example: Macca had every spectator for the last 6 miles screaming that Norman was just up the road in 2006. But that was no help - his 2:43 that day was awesome but running a 2:40 to get the win was impossible. Three minutes, or even two for the win that day is just too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that more money in the sport would equal more sub 2:40s. If there was a chance that a triathlete could become a multi-millionaire by being 10th best, there'd be a lot more talent at the point end. It ain't gonna happen (not anytime soon anyway).

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Only LVL has run as fast as Dave and Mark. No matter how many spectators you have on the course the current crop cannot run a 2:40 or less in Kona. Mark and Dave only went that fast in 1989 - as the raced side by side. More competition would help but you have to be honest - Dave, Mark, and Luc are a genetic class above anyone else before or since when it comes to running in Kona. Another example: Macca had every spectator for the last 6 miles screaming that Norman was just up the road in 2006. But that was no help - his 2:43 that day was awesome but running a 2:40 to get the win was impossible. Three minutes, or even two for the win that day is just too much.

Gotta agree with you here: a guy/girl can only run as fast as they can run no matter how many people are screaming for them. Now what would have been super would be if LVL could have been in the 1989 race with Mark and Dave, but guess that would be "fantasy Ironman":)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete Jacobs went 2:41:06 in 2010 to bump LVL down to 4th all-time run in Kona. You'd think with the advancements in technology/footwear, training, nutrition, and deeper fields (including former short-course guys) that the record would have been broken already. Especially since the route was hillier in 1989-- they exited T2 southbound, went up the hill at the end of Ali'i Drive, down a windswept stretch, then back out of the "pit." And transition times were included in the marathon splits, so Mark and Dave actually ran faster than the records show.

I think Dave's analysis is a bit short sighted in this article. In the past, he's pointed to factors such as the drafting rules on the bike forcing riders to expend more energy; it creates an accordion effect due to everyone avoiding slipstreams. Whereas athletes were allowed to fan out on the road in 1989. Paul Huddle suggests that the increased pressure on the men to ride 4:25 or 4:30 also has a deleterious effect.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Nov 1, 14 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike changes have to be huge - fanning vs. that legal draft accordion effect. Isn't LVL on the suspect side of things? I remember reading Eddy Hellebuyck talk about Belgian triathletes of that era doping. No names, but...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
More competition would help but you have to be honest - Dave, Mark, and Luc are a genetic class above anyone else before or since when it comes to running in Kona.

I am a huge Dave Scott fan, but I bet even Dave would disagree with you on this point. Mark Allen became a great runner, but today there are a handful of guys that could likely outrun him in Kona with the right race dynamics (which existed in 1989). This year Dave did a pre-race interview where I think he hit the nail on the head. He did not mention spectators in that interview...he was mentioning that the pro's are having to go anaerobic in the bike many times which depletes their energy stores.

There seems to 10 guys at the start line that could surprise us all with their finishing time in the right conditions. Who knows what Craig Alexander could have done if he was pushed to the line during his record time. His running is silky smooth. A beautiful sight.

Just wait until Gomez and Frodo unleash it. They will set the new standard.

Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:
Pete Jacobs went 2:41:06 in 2010 to bump LVL down to 4th all-time run in Kona. You'd think with the advancements in technology/footwear, training, nutrition, and deeper fields (including former short-course guys) that the record would have been broken already. Especially since the route was hillier in 1989-- they exited T2 southbound, went up the hill at the end of Ali'i Drive, down a windswept stretch, then back out of the "pit." And transition times were included in the marathon splits, so Mark and Dave actually ran faster than the records show.

I think Dave's analysis is a bit short sided in this article. In the past, he's pointed to factors such as the drafting rules on the bike forcing riders to expend more energy; it creates an accordion effect due to everyone avoiding slipstreams. Whereas athletes were allowed to fan out on the road in 1989. Paul Huddle suggests that the increased pressure on the men to ride 4:25 or 4:30 also has a deleterious effect.

It always makes me giddy when a Joe Blow corrects a legend/coach on ST
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No disrespect intended. I used the wrong wording. I think Dave genuinely wants to see the record broken.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Nov 1, 14 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:
P And transition times were included in the marathon splits, so Mark and Dave actually ran faster than the records show.

I believe all transition times were included in the bike splits, not the run splits. If anyone would like to authoritatively confirm or deny that I would be very interested in knowing

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not "of authority" but Dave did mention this in an interview pre-Kona that the marathon in 1989 included the T2 transition time.

On another note...if the top male triathlete at Kona did the equivalent of what Mirinda Carfrae ran, he would have run a 2'33'.

Last edited by: AJHull: Nov 1, 14 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:
No disrespect intended. I used the wrong wording. I think Dave genuinely wants to see the record broken.

time split money bonuses are key. not the fans. why risk yourself injury if there are more spectators? For there to be more risk, there needs to be more reward.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
soulfresca wrote:
P And transition times were included in the marathon splits, so Mark and Dave actually ran faster than the records show.

I believe all transition times were included in the bike splits, not the run splits. If anyone would like to authoritatively confirm or deny that I would be very interested in knowing

My memory isn't perfect, but I seem to remember the timing mats being at the end of the swim and the start of the run, which would put both transitions in the bike split.

Also, pretty sure there was no pit in 89. that didn't show up until later in the 90's.

Badig| Strava

Last edited by: tjfry: Nov 1, 14 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron War includes a vivid description of the run course, which included the pit. Also, here are some passages from an article in Triathlon:

Quote:
Many of the top competitors in 1989 remember it back then as more difficult than today’s because they had to run south from T2, which was located at the old Kona Surf Hotel, now the Sheraton Keauhou, up the hill at the end of Ali’i Drive, then down a steep windy road and back up from an area known as “the Pit.”

What’s more, the official 1989 run times included the bike-to-run transition times, so the actual marathon times were even faster than the records show.

Dave Scott said Pat Feeney, a physicist friend from his hometown of Davis, Calif., calculated that Allen spent 1:13 in transition and Scott 1:15, so the actual marathon times would have been 2:38 for Allen and 2:39 for Scott.
http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#KyiIM77r43oOdSM7.99

btw Liz Baugher is my former collegiate club teammate, and she frequently posts links to your blog. I enjoy reading your work.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Nov 1, 14 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:
Paul Huddle suggests that the increased pressure on the men to ride 4:25 or 4:30 also has a deleterious effect.

this. It's insane to pretend that the marathon in a tri is a singular event and can be compared to another race after 20 years of tactics evolving.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott on Kona: More spectators = more sub 2:40s [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That explanation would also indirectly support the importance of the run on the women's side, and why we see Rinny doing what she does.
Quote Reply