Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Don Fink 70.3 book/plan experiences?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at various training plans for my 4th HIM, and am looking hard right now at giving Don Fink's "Ironfit Secrets for Half Ironman Success" plan a look. I bought it, and it seems pretty reasonable; it differs from my prior training in that it really seems to emphasize weekend volume and does more maintenance volume on weekdays.

Typical peak volume for the "intermediate" level plan I'm looking at is 11ish hrs/wk, with 3-4hr bike + 15-30min run brick on Sat, and a 2-2:45hr run on Sunday. Weekdays are pretty much 60 minutes of run or bike with a modicum of swimming thrown in. This differs from my prior training where I did more weekday volume (instead of loading up a lot on the weekend) but capped my weekend workouts at a 3hr bike (no brick) and 90min run on Sun (but I did 90-120min runs on weekdays.)

If anyone's actually used his plans for 70.3 to finish a HIM, would love to hear of your thoughts on the pros/cons of his plans.
Quote Reply
Re: Don Fink 70.3 book/plan experiences? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used Don's plans as well as had him coach me. Great all around, I highly recommend. I went from no tri experience to winning several 70.3 AGs (Quassy, Patriot Half, 3rd at Timberman), and 1st in my AG at IMLP this year with a KQ. Having Don's plan there for me took a huge amount of stress away each training day.
Quote Reply
Re: Don Fink 70.3 book/plan experiences? [dalestephanos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool to hear that the plan/coaching worked for you.

Did you happen to follow a structure similar to that in the book, specifically, piling up the long Sat minibrick (4hr bike + 15-30min run) followed by long Sunday endurance run (2-2:45hrs) and less weekday B/R volume (<75mins for Bike or run, usually 60 mins of either B/R).

I guess I'm just a bit wary of piling so much volume on the weekend, as I typically have trained with less of a training load difference on weekdays vs weekends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, his coaching followed the structure of the plan in the books. I have the benefit of being self-employed so I was able to do my long days during the week when it wouldn't affect my family time.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Last edited by: TonyStark: Oct 31, 14 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did his full plan in his other book. It got me across the finish line.

My wife is going to use this book for her first half next year. I'm probably going to use it by shuffle up the schedule and do the long run during the week so the long bike and long run are spaced out.
Quote Reply