Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox?
Quote | Reply
I'm one of the few that actually liked the Lunaracer 2+ better than the original (or the re-issue of the original) because there was just a bit more room in the toebox (although I would like even a little more, and could have done without the extra weight).

The Lunaracer 3+ has been out for some time now, but I haven't seen a lot of chatter about it. Does it still have the same cushioned, springy ride of the previous models? Does is have more room in the toebox? More than the 2+?

Are there any other manufacturers that make a similar, super-light but cushioned shoe with more room in the toebox?

The narrow toebox is a pretty common complaint about the original Lunaracer. Seems like someone should have come out with a shoe that fixes the issue (but keeps the positives) by now. Maybe I just haven't discovered it...?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Altra One2 is a bit like the LunaRacer. About as light and with great cushioning. MUCH wider toebox.

It doesn't have that completely mushy LunaRacer-type cushioning though.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I think the Altra One2 is a bit like the LunaRacer. About as light and with great cushioning. MUCH wider toebox.

Thanks, Joe.

Just how firm is the cushioning of the One2? Is there another popular shoes that you could compare to, like the Kinvara, maybe?

How does the sizing run?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The altra has a zero drop shoe compared to the Nike Lunar Racer which has a 7mm drop. That is a big difference and I don't think they would have a similar feel. I alternate between the Kinvara's and the lunar racers almost daily and love the feel of both shoes. Another shoe you may wanna give a shot is the New Balance 1400. I have never had any luck with zero drop shoes. I gave the saucony virrata's a shot once and just didn't like them. That's my two cents though and of course running shoes are very personal. If your looking for a similar feel, a wider toe box, and live near a new balance store or a shop that carries the 1400 I think it would be worth to try them out before purchasing them. Just my two cents. Happy running!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not really "firm" at all. There's a tiny bit less of cushioning per square inch (I would say) on the One2 compared to the LunaRacer but still a very good amount. And because the front of the shoe is so much wider than the LunaRacer, the cushioning is spread out more. So you don't have that feeling like you are going to fall/slide off the edge of the shoe that you can get in the LunaRacer.

The similarity between the shoes is that they are both the shoe you wear when you want to be really protected from the pounding but still have something crazy light. I've raced well in the LunaRacer but I much prefer the One2.

Sizing is freaky. I am the only person I know who wears the same size in the One2 as I do in other other shoes. Most people I know had to go at least a half size -- or even a full size -- larger. (I'm talking US sizes here). It's the length here that necessitates the upsizing. Yes, the toebox of the One2 is much wider but the length seems to be consequently shorter.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Virattas are some of the firmest, stiffest shoes I've worn. I kinda like my pair but they are nothing like the One2. I could never wear them every day like I could with the One2

The 1400s have an even bigger drop -- 10 mm. If that's what works for you, you've certainly got drop there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too require a roomy toebox. I haven't ran in Lunaracers but I have over 400 miles on a pair of Nike Zoom Fly with no issues on toebox roominess. They have worked out real well for me. I have two more pairs waiting for these to reach the end of their life. I am surprised they still feel great at just over 400 miles. I haven't ran in Nikes for a long time prior to these.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently ran the Columbus Half in the Lunaracer 3, and love them. I agree that they're snug in the toebox, but for full, embarassing transparency I was wearing a Women's size 12 in the hot pink colorway, which shouldn't matter since they're a unisex last.

I test-ran in a pair of Saucony Kinvaras and they're quite roomy in the toebox, pretty lightweight, too.

The adidas boost adios are a killer pair of shoes, but not roomy, and not forgiving. If you don't have an extremely efficient stride / get tight calves/soleus forget it.

~DE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they would make the Lunaracer with a slightly wider toe box and zero drop I would be in heaven....well that and give me my legs back from 1991
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
If they would make the Lunaracer with a slightly wider toe box and zero drop I would be in heaven....well that and give me my legs back from 1991

Seriously Dev, there's not much difference at all between what you describe and what the One2 is.

Your 1991 legs are not available for purchase

(Altra should be paying me for this PR...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
JoeO wrote:

Thanks, Joe.

Just how firm is the cushioning of the One2? Is there another popular shoes that you could compare to, like the Kinvara, maybe?

How does the sizing run?

I was also going to suggest The One². It's generally similar to the Kinvara, with a wider toe box and a bit more cushioning. The One² is 40g lighter than the Kinvara 3 in size 10.5 on my scale. The uppers and soles are similar (single density foam, minimal carbon rubber), but The One² is a bit more flexible. I find that the difference between zero drop (Altra) and 4mm drop (Kinvara) is nearly imperceptible. The One² is well cushioned for its weight and stack, but I don't find it too sloppy/mushy for fast running. IMO, it's the closest thing to a race flat in the Altra line.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Last edited by: Cody Beals: Oct 31, 14 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes having some drop does work for me as well as the Top 15 men and women at kona and every single elite marathoner in the world. It amazes me that none of these elites have embraced this
"natural running" zero drop phenomenon yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relax, kid. It wasn't a criticism. I mostly run in shoes with drop -- have been doing so for 35 years or so -- and like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lunaracer 3+ is easier in the toebox because its made of the flyknit material. I cannot run in the Saucony Virrata for instance since it is so narrow. But i just did Ironman Maryland in the lunaracer 3+ and was great. I just LOVE the shoe.

As some others have said, the Altra One2 has a similar midsole material and amount of cush, but the lunaracer pops better off the ground in my opinion (and doesnt last as long either.) The Kinvara 5 is the latest in what I think is a steady decline for that shoe. The midsole just feels dead...

I would love it if Nike built a Lunaracer version that had a little more durability in the midsole. I'm 175lbs and get about 150 miles out of them before the ball of my foot starts to feel like its bottoming out on the road. Maybe if they added 2-3mm of stack under the forefoot that would solve it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
I'm one of the few that actually liked the Lunaracer 2+ better than the original (or the re-issue of the original) because there was just a bit more room in the toebox (although I would like even a little more, and could have done without the extra weight).

The Lunaracer 3+ has been out for some time now, but I haven't seen a lot of chatter about it. Does it still have the same cushioned, springy ride of the previous models? Does is have more room in the toebox? More than the 2+?

I posted some photos comparing the original to the 3+,

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=lunaracer;#5195840

Yes, there is more room in the toebox than the original (never tried the 2), same ride. Love this shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Seriously Dev, there's not much difference at all between what you describe and what the One2 is.

Your 1991 legs are not available for purchase

(Altra should be paying me for this PR...)

I know what you are saying about the One2, HOWEVER, unlike other Altras the sole "comes" up a bit too high under the arch. For me, the outcome is there is too much material under my arch that does not allow it to compress. I'm one of those guys who cut the arch out of the insole in my other shoes. So if they made the One2 outsole the same shape as the Instinct then yes. I like the firmness for the Instinct for some days, but my 2014 legs can't handle it. If I had my 1991, legs, I could probably just do all my milege with some leather under the forefoot (well, that is pretty well what 1983 track spikes were anyway....).

In any case, I think your 2014 legs are closer to your 1991 legs than mine are!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a long time user of the various LR shoes, I like the LR III more than the LR II because of the fit in the forefoot/toebox. It is more roomy/comfortable for me, due in no small part to the material/construction of the upper. I bought the LR II in bulk and still have a pair in rotation but find them hard to even wear now that I have been racing in the LR III. I actually let one pair of nearly new LR IIs go for the price of shipping recently and have another NIB I'll probably do the same with since the LR IIIs are much better for me - ride is pretty similar to all of them IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size are your LR 2's?! But I agree, I have the 2's for walking around and work but couldn't really run in them. I have been through about 5 pairs of 3's in the last two seasons because they are my go to marathon shoe. LOVE them. Super light but have a lot of cushion so I do not feel as much pounding on my legs in the long runs. Wish they could hold up to a bit more mileage but every time a new color comes out the old color goes on sale.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
size 13, blue and gray, NIB box, 15.00 shipped in CONUS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be worth trying the new Inov8 tri xtreme 275 . 6mm drop. Wide toebox, built in speed laces and side drain holes. I'm getting some tonight
Quote Reply
Re: Is there anything like the Nike Lunaracer but wider in the toebox? [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang way too big! I would take them off your hand if they fit.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply