Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoke very briefly to the Specialized rep at the race. Was told he was on an 80's Allez, and was just out for some "Fun."
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [big-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard Gomez say a couple things after the race:

1. Old bike felt good and not that much slower than the Shiv (not sure he'd want to say that with Specialized reps around).

2. He wasn't fit and was out there for fun and specifically stated that he didn't want to play a role in the outcome of the race.

Classy guy, took lots of time to talk with fans and take photos.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Is stiffness even an issue? Even if a bike flexes at the BB doesn't most of the energy get returned as it "de-flexes?"

the speedo has a built-in chamois so it shouldnt be an issue
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The presence of gomez and knowing his capabilities pushed malloy and hunter (also to not be embarassed by that bike)... they put down some sick times, 31 min 10ks on a hard run course (4 steep gradient climbs). Malloy did 1:45.... probably good for 1:42 on a flat, smooth course (lots of cracked concrete road last 8 miles of the bike) Gomez said he took it easy on the run... probably was maxing out on the bike to prove some point.

I want to add also something.... Now I understand the hate on drafting. Kid, 18 years old frombaja mexico was doing it so obviously, looking behind for someone to follow and what not, he was even blocking me. Ok, I thought, in mexico they only have drafting races so he doesnt know. But the worst thing of all, on the concrete section I mentioned he cut the course many times, with dangerous manevours that would have wrecked someone bad.. He probably just did 18mi on the bike with his cheating. But lifetime had this event well set up so you couldnt cheat, rfid timing stations at every 180 turn for bike and run
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only time I saw he was on the second lap of the first part of the course going the other direction from me, and he was just hanging out at the back of the first main stagger group.
He tweeted something about enjoying himself on the run.
He ran just shy of 6 minutes faster than me. Damnit he's good.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey,

One clarification: the speedo didn't have a chamois. We made it in our sample room last week, and it's just a normal swim brief with a normal liner. ITU guys can't race WC/WTS with one, so they are used to it. I would be surprised if Maloy, Kemper, Zaferes or any others who wore their ITU kits were running a chamois.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Rambler wrote:
Is stiffness even an issue?

the speedo has a built-in chamois so it shouldnt be an issue

I'm confused what we're talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
would be great to see a genuine attempt but cant see specialized paying thier employee to prove that its not about the bike gear
sandbagging the ride convincingly will be like photoshopping the before-photo for an infomercial

having said that - its a nice way to highlight all the triathlon tech that has been brought to the table by specialized

PR stunt for the sponsor.
"Guerrilla marketing" bait for consumers.

I for my part will only buy a Spec if he rides the same bike in an championship race...
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technically, Oceanside was the championship race of the Life Time series, which is the best-paying non-draft Olympic series that exists. (Hy-Vee may be a better single payday, but Life Time pays a TON more throughout the year than 5150). By not coming into the race in top form and not riding the best equipment, Javi definitely passed up quite a bit of money. He didn't race enough to be eligible for series or Triple Crown (NYC, Chicago, and Oceanside only, gender-neutral prize), but yesterday alone paid out quite well too. I can only find the distribution for 2013 for the Life Time series, but that shows $8k for first versus $500 for 7th.

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He should sign and then auction off that bike for charity.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
Technically, Oceanside was the championship race of the Life Time series, which is the best-paying non-draft Olympic series that exists. (Hy-Vee may be a better single payday, but Life Time pays a TON more throughout the year than 5150). By not coming into the race in top form and not riding the best equipment, Javi definitely passed up quite a bit of money. He didn't race enough to be eligible for series or Triple Crown (NYC, Chicago, and Oceanside only, gender-neutral prize), but yesterday alone paid out quite well too. I can only find the distribution for 2013 for the Life Time series, but that shows $8k for first versus $500 for 7th.

winner = 20k,2nd 12.5,3rd forgot
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHOAH. Yea so that's significant money he passed up. At the same time, I bet he still came out well in the black from the race, as I am sure Specialized covered his costs and then some.

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [SmallAngryMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SmallAngryMan wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Would be hilarious if a Brownlee decided to show up on short notice and rain on the parade. Every time I think of that I literally chuckle to myself (I'm easily amused).

On an old raleigh.

Wearing tweed
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:

1. Old bike felt good and not that much slower than the Shiv (not sure he'd want to say that with Specialized reps around).

2. He wasn't fit and was out there for fun and specifically stated that he didn't want to play a role in the outcome of the race.

So his old school equipment did not cost him 2 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
dale3 wrote:

So his old school equipment did not cost him 2 minutes?

pretty much so. It wasnt that old school.... the seat looked like it might have been painful to ride, but if his fit is there he should nail it. What is old school? A bike from the 70s perhaps.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
pretty much so. It wasnt that old school.... the seat looked like it might have been painful to ride, but if his fit is there he should nail it.

Was an Olympic distance race. Bike split took him 56 min. I could hold my breath for that long.

Remember guys raced le Tour on seats like that not too long ago.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

the drop bars on the bike also might have been an advantage on the course.... At least 5 180* turns , and some 90*s means less time sitting in aero and better position making the turn and accelerating out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't find it to really be that bad. A lot of the corners were still plenty wide, especially with few other cyclists around like the pros had, where most of them could still be taken in aero.
I was definitely skeptical of how the course was set up, but it was really pretty cool. They worked well with what they had.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure why its not showing but the post i made was javier taking a nice turn around one of the 180*s. The course was not bad except for the first mile you go over those speed bumps, slightly deflated my front tire
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
iank wrote:

winner = 20k,2nd 12.5,3rd forgot
Winning Oceanside this year was $8,500, 5th was $1,000. 6th and beyond was $0. Life Time paid out a total of $450,000 in 2014 for six races, Triple Crown and the series championship.

Jason Pedersen
RunPd.com - Running as fast I can since '93
@jasonpedersen
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Jason P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm i think i will have to look at post race photos? I remember athletes holding checks with those numbers on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben Collins won the Triple Crown, which was $50,000. I believe he was also 2nd in the series, so that was $25,000.

Cam Dye and Alicia Kaye won the series, which was $50,000.

Jason Pedersen
RunPd.com - Running as fast I can since '93
@jasonpedersen
Quote Reply

Prev Next