Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to swim/bike/run near Staples Center/LA Live?
Quote | Reply
I have four day work trip there next week and am staying at the Figeroa Hotel. Any good running routes nearby? Any decent drop-in pools or gyms with spin bikes?

Worst case I can get dizzy in the hotel's 15y? pool and run laps of Staples Center but hopefully there is something better.

Edit - I wont have a car, so something either within jogging distance or nearby on the metro.

Thanks!
Last edited by: owen.: Oct 22, 14 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim/bike/run near Staples Center/LA Live? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
I have four day work trip there next week and am staying at the Figeroa Hotel. Any good running routes nearby? Any decent drop-in pools or gyms with spin bikes?

Worst case I can get dizzy in the hotel's 15y? pool and run laps of Staples Center but hopefully there is something better.

Edit - I wont have a car, so something either within jogging distance or nearby on the metro.

Thanks!

No where to go around there.

Do you need to stay at Figeroa? The JW has a decent workout facility and pool that you could swim laps in.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim/bike/run near Staples Center/LA Live? [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marriot is ~2x as much and way above our corporate allowances.

Oh well, I guess it'll be a easy week.
Last edited by: owen.: Oct 22, 14 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Marriot is ~2x as much and way above our corporate allowances.

Oh well, I guess it'll be a easy week.

Gotcha. Yea, that area is just crazy. Running outside would be awful unless you like stopping every 50 yards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can schedule a private coaching session with a Race Club coach at Pacific Palisades High School. Improve your swimming technique in one 2 hour session http://www.theraceclub.com/swim-camps/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Downtown LA YMCA apparently has a very nice pool. Never been though. I believe they have spin as well

I'm afraid to get any decent runs in without constant light interruptions, you'd have to take a train somewhere. Not ideal. Or uber, as griffith park is not too far away, but will get the car sweaty on the way home (like you'd care... :))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have enough free time for the transit you can swim at the Los Angeles Swim Stadium near the Coliseum. http://www.laparks.org/expo/aquaticcenter.htm

Could take the train down from Staples to the Expo Park stop and walk over there or take the DASH bus to the USC Vermont & Expo stop.

https://www.google.com/...!2d34.045491!3e3!5i3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got you covered man.

Get yourself a week pass to the Gold's Gym at 7th and Figueroa. They have a 25y pool, spin bikes and treadmills. You can easily walk there, it's a few blocks away.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim/bike/run near Staples Center/LA Live? [10kDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the downtown Y for swim - best pool downtown (or take Uber to USC for Masters 2.5 miles from DT),
Take Uber to Elysian Park (near Dodger Stadium and less than 3 mi from downtown) decent trails up there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bunker hill repeats is a helluva workout.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Where to swim/bike/run near Staples Center/LA Live? [StromerGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks... The Y pool is the new one and their website is just way out of date?

Going to look into USC masters... 5k jog there, swim, 5k jog back to my hotel sounds like a good workout. Do you swim with them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have, but not recently. But when I did go, they had lanes 2:10 base to 1:05 base. That jog down Figeuroa is actually not bad. I've done it a few times. If you can do the Elysian run, it's worth it too. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

Thanks!

On Tuesday, the Lakers have a preseason game vs. the Rockets. Nobody will be there and you could run stairs! Might be able to do that during regular season games for the Lakers this year in case you're back there later! To be read in pink!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to run some trails and hills (1000'+ elevation changes in ~ 2 miles) you can take the red line to Western/Hollywood and go straight north into Griffith Park. Lovely place to run in the shadow of the hollywood sign. If you want to see some celebs (and view just how tiny most of them are) stay on that train to Hollywood/Highland and run up into Runyon Canyon. Similar elevation profile as Griffith, but a lot more crowded and fewer trail options (there's really just one). If the weather is nice, there is better eye candy here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you will be in town Monday evening during October, a group called BlackList LA meets at 10p at Disney Hall for a four mile run of local street art. Not a continuous run, it's more about experiencing the city and its art at night at a group-friendly pace. But you might find it interesting. The start place changes in November.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply