Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjp202 wrote:
kdw wrote:
"Mind you, my legs were not burning excessively (like they do on the bike when I am pushing the pace), or in pain, they just would not keep up the pace."

Physiological reasons aside, it sounds like maybe doing some intervals might help you to learn to tell your legs to shut up. Nothing like the back stretch of a 400 to do that.

I agree with this sentiment. Looking at your file, it seems that you ran a three-mile race without going much above your reported hour-threshold HR. You probably could have run much further at the same pace, or much faster for the same distance. In other words, it seems like aerobic fitness may not be your primary limiter at this point.
If your goal is to race faster at these distances (it may not be), I would incorporate at least some running at faster-than-goal paces.

Well, according to the file, he ran at an average HR of 96% of his max heart rate, which is right about where you'd expect someone to be for a 5K. EDIT - IGNORE THIS, I READ HIS MAX HR WRONG!

To the OP, you're a 38-year-old, 195 pound guy that doesn't do much run-specific training, and you just ran a 19:40 5K, which is pretty good. Your splits were also pretty even until the last 1/4 mile, which shows that you paced the race pretty well. If you do nothing more than run more and lose twenty pounds, your 5K time will improve. A lot. Heck, even if you don't run that much more and lose twenty pounds, your time will still improve a lot.
Last edited by: craigj532: Oct 22, 14 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
mjp202 wrote:
kdw wrote:
"Mind you, my legs were not burning excessively (like they do on the bike when I am pushing the pace), or in pain, they just would not keep up the pace."

Physiological reasons aside, it sounds like maybe doing some intervals might help you to learn to tell your legs to shut up. Nothing like the back stretch of a 400 to do that.

I agree with this sentiment. Looking at your file, it seems that you ran a three-mile race without going much above your reported hour-threshold HR. You probably could have run much further at the same pace, or much faster for the same distance. In other words, it seems like aerobic fitness may not be your primary limiter at this point.
If your goal is to race faster at these distances (it may not be), I would incorporate at least some running at faster-than-goal paces.

Well, according to the file, he ran at an average HR of 96% of his max heart rate, which is right about where you'd expect someone to be for a 5K. EDIT - IGNORE THIS, I READ HIS MAX HR WRONG!

To the OP, you're a 38-year-old, 195 pound guy that doesn't do much run-specific training, and you just ran a 19:40 5K, which is pretty good. Your splits were also pretty even until the last 1/4 mile, which shows that you paced the race pretty well. If you do nothing more than run more and lose twenty pounds, your 5K time will improve. A lot. Heck, even if you don't run that much more and lose twenty pounds, your time will still improve a lot.

Thanks, I'm definitely pleased with the result (given my girth, age etc), but I'd argue against my pace being consistent.
Mile 1: pace = 6:12, it was modestly uphill (+25 ft) and I settled into a 167/168 HR - 1 hour threshold level for me
Mile 2: pace = 6:28, it was essentially flat, HR remained at 168 average
Mile 3: pace = 6:30 (but trended down to 6:45 at the end of mile 3), HR ticked up to 169 average
Mile 3.1 doesnt count because I went anaerobic to the finish.

The kicker is I couldn't hold the pace, but my HR was in a completely manageable zone.
The other kicker is I watched my long run partner (who I can routinely drop at will on anything over 10k) just run away from me as he held the initial pace and I faded into oblivion.

But, I'll try to work in some speedwork and see how that impacts my performance. maybe I'll target a Turkey Trot after my goal Half Marathon to see how things go.

Thanks, Slowtwitch, for the wisdom.

- Pete

Luckily my over eating disorder is offset by my over exercising disorder
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [Big-Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know your body type but you probably need to lose weight.

don't stress about your 5k time or the "difference" between your legs and lungs, just stay healthy, lose lbs, and run more, you will be faster in 5k and tri.

health+more training=faster for you
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Intervals. sped work is icing on the cake. You need to make a cake first, before you put icing on it. You get most gains form volume first to build a base. The base will allow you to sharpen your speed.

You don't need to run at VO2max intensity to raise your VO2max. While you will increase it more effciently running at higher intensities, it will limit the overall work load you can do, risk injury, and you'll miss the benefits of running more miles. The adaptations gained from running easy, transfer in part to running faster. Throwing in some strides, allow you to practice the muscle memory of a faster stride length and turnover.

Training is about adaptation not practicing your race pace. This isn't basketball where you practice free throws to get better at free throws. Although if you limiter was muscle fatigue in terms of free throw accuracy late in the game, then you might work on you overall conditioning.

What he said. I've found that I respond to 400m repeats much better than sprints. What's your age, that makes a huge difference in how much intensity you can handle without hurting yourself. Also, when you taper, reduce your volume but keep up the intensity. I think you were fatigued starting the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
people generally have a low hanging fruit from just increasing volume without much intensity work until they hit 40mpw. Probably 35 at a minimum. There are exceptiopns but those usually people with a lot of "talent" and a well-developed engine from a lot of volume over the years (ie some used to run >40mpw regularly).

I totally agree with the volume requirement in running BUT, it is crucially important to realize that if you're running AND biking, you can get away with a lot less in the run mileage compared to if you were not cycling at all.

25-30mpw running per week PLUS biking an equivalent volume is a decent training volume to make gains for even an intermediate AGer.

25-30mpw running per week without anything else on top will just get you to scratching the surface of your ability.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with jjabr.

1. He is older.
2. He doesn't have a running background, i.e., no significant base.
3. Running a 5K faster shouldn't be a short term goal.
4. Intervals is a good route to injury for aging runners with little base.
5. His goal is to lose weight. Consistent running will yield the result he seeks. Not too long, not too hard, but 4-6 days per week. Come back in a year and we will up the dose.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:
Big Endian wrote:
1. What else do you do, training load wise?
2. If you only do (from the perspective of a 5k race) longer, easy runs, then your legs are going to be ill-prepared to go fast. Make at least one of your 3-4 mile "easy" days an interval sprint day. Spend some time going faster than your 5k race pace so that you can get more efficient at higher speeds.

Someone running this little does NOT need an "interval sprint day." Come on now.

Agree to a point. I woukd add some intensity to existing runs...fartlek or 2 minute builds. Just something to increase leg speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [Big-Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete, I'm new to tri as of April this year, and your fitness is much better than mine, so my experience may not be relevant...

Looking at your pace vs HR, this seems perfectly normal to me. For most of my runs, I simply target 140bpm, and my last mile is always slower than my first. I attribute this to my body heating up and maybe accumulated fatigue (i'm only running 16mpw now). So to me, it looks like you ran a great race as far as your effort over the duration goes.

As far as your comment on not being able to hold the pace even though your cardio was good, I wonder what your HR is during tempo runs vs the 5k? I know I'm not fast, but burying my HR at 174 (age 46) is very doable and I've never done speedwork (well, twice this year). If you are saying your legs just wouldn't let you go higher than 168, then I would guess fatigue or warmup were holding you back.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dropped from 19:30 to 17:44 without doing any speed work. Runs were either zone R or zone 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:
Big Endian wrote:
1. What else do you do, training load wise?
2. If you only do (from the perspective of a 5k race) longer, easy runs, then your legs are going to be ill-prepared to go fast. Make at least one of your 3-4 mile "easy" days an interval sprint day. Spend some time going faster than your 5k race pace so that you can get more efficient at higher speeds.

Someone running this little does NOT need an "interval sprint day." Come on now.

No way. Especially when your running the distances he is running you need an interval day. It will give the biggest improvements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big-Pete wrote:

Thanks, I'm definitely pleased with the result (given my girth, age etc), but I'd argue against my pace being consistent.
Mile 1: pace = 6:12, it was modestly uphill (+25 ft) and I settled into a 167/168 HR - 1 hour threshold level for me
Mile 2: pace = 6:28, it was essentially flat, HR remained at 168 average
Mile 3: pace = 6:30 (but trended down to 6:45 at the end of mile 3), HR ticked up to 169 average
Mile 3.1 doesnt count because I went anaerobic to the finish.

The kicker is I couldn't hold the pace, but my HR was in a completely manageable zone.
The other kicker is I watched my long run partner (who I can routinely drop at will on anything over 10k) just run away from me as he held the initial pace and I faded into oblivion.

But, I'll try to work in some speedwork and see how that impacts my performance. maybe I'll target a Turkey Trot after my goal Half Marathon to see how things go.

Thanks, Slowtwitch, for the wisdom.

This is what I don't understand. If you're running a faster pace than you typically do for a one-hour run, then there's no way that your heart rate should be the same as when you're doing a one-hour run. In other words, if your typical one-hour pace is, say, 7:45 a mile, then your HR when running 6:12 should be much higher.

What pace are you typically running for your hour-long runs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:

Do you even exercise science, bro?

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the problem is that instead of holding the pace and my HR increasing, instead I receded back to my hour pace (6:40ish) as the race progressed.

Maybe I just need beet juice, or better yet HTFU.

Regarding some of the other points:
Yes, the weight is still coming off, but my lean mass is about 174, so there's not much more to work with (my guess is 5-10 more lbs could come off) so I do want to focus on speed

I did do a warmup prior, easy 8s with some accelerations.

- Pete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your max pace was 5:25 min miles and you average is 6:24.

This obvious was a really short race but:
1st you are a big guy
2nd you don't have the foot speed/endurance to run 5:25 pace
3rd run more
4th most importantly in a foot race you want to tick off even splits and not run erratic splits, because running erratic splits will burn matches fast and you will drop.

*Side note you will see a lot of IMarathoners go out fast and eventually fade this is the theory that, you will fade anyways.
I am of the theory that you should pace yourself run even splits to conserve energy and run a faster time. I don't think you can/should bank time especially in a triathlon run, running negative splits in a triathlon extremely difficult.

Long story short PACE yourself
Quote Reply
Re: Running Advice: My legs cant keep up with my lungs [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
Your max pace was 5:25 min miles and you average is 6:24.

This obvious was a really short race but:
1st you are a big guy
2nd you don't have the foot speed/endurance to run 5:25 pace
3rd run more
4th most importantly in a foot race you want to tick off even splits and not run erratic splits, because running erratic splits will burn matches fast and you will drop.

*Side note you will see a lot of IMarathoners go out fast and eventually fade this is the theory that, you will fade anyways.
I am of the theory that you should pace yourself run even splits to conserve energy and run a faster time. I don't think you can/should bank time especially in a triathlon run, running negative splits in a triathlon extremely difficult.

Long story short PACE yourself

I think most of the short term variation was simply GPS variance. I was as consistent as possible ... consistently slowing down throughout the race!

- Pete

Quote Reply

Prev Next