Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Burnout therapy [tri4funnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually was away from pretty much anything that looked like training for 2 or 3 years after doing 6 IM's in 4 years. I didn't recognize it at the time but I really missed it.

I have been doing IM's every other year since I came back. I only did a marathon the first year I started training again in 2010. The first off year in 2012 I meant to do short course stuff, which I actually do much better at, but that just didn't hold my interest. I didn't do any real training and bagged all my races, just going around the course at less than what I knew I could do would have been a waste. This year I picked a late season marathon and didn't do any tris. I rode in the early season but haven't been in the water since I got out of Tempe Town Lake last November.

I'll be going down to volunteer and sign up for next year at IMFL. For me, getting through feeling burned out is a matter of thinking about why I like doing this in the first place. I'm never going to KQ, a couple of my IM's are non-WTC so chances are low I'll ever get in on the legacy program. But doing IM's amuses me. It still amazes me that people can actually do that.

Don't keep forcing yourself to train and race if it isn't flipping your switch. If all you've ever done is tri's, go do a marathon or three. Take on other challenges, do a century ride with your family, create your own event by riding from here to somewhere way the fuck over there, try to set a 5k pr. Maybe even, gasp, lift and try to look good naked. Just be like a kid and go play, do what sounds fun.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a full week off - and then buy a cyclocross bike and do cross season.

Re: Burnout therapy [ajchid77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think mainly because of the season change where training or doing pretty much anything outside becomes extreemly uncomfortable.

Not sure where you live, but I'd be willing to wager that there are people around you doing things outside at least relatively comfortably.

Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live in Vermont, comfort is realitive… and winters suck. Motivating to go outside and ride a bike is brutal, it just isn't any fun...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been in the 60s...you need to suck it up a bit. Do these people look like they are miserable?

https://www.youtube.com/...ed&v=P8aPLHKsFSI
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
I send the below to any athletes that may feel they are burn out:

The No. 1 task right now is to AVOID THE INTERNET or other triathlon media. Why? Because in terms of burnout, 99% of the causes are MENTAL/NEURAL. When we tap our entire being in one way without giving ourselves a break, we are in "always on" mode. Triathlon forums, websites, magazines, stores, people -- this always-the-same-thing preoccupation, night and day, flattens us. Our entire nervous system breaks down.
People burn out on non-physically demanding things like fly fishing -- the same effects as the ones you are experiencing are visible. It's not just physical. Your challenge right now is not so much to recover physically as that you need to give yourself a rest from all things triathlon.

Avoid triathletes. Take down pictures, posters, books, knickknacks, etc. in your apartment. Avoid the shops. Skip the triathlon get-togethers. Go camping for a few days each weekend -- take the bike, jog in the forest, swim before you go (sea swim, solo - NO POOL) on Saturday morning, and swim again (sea swim, solo) Sunday evening. Head out to a camping area, find a nice cabin or camp down low where it's not freezing -- but get the hell outta the tri mecca that you may live in (or online like ST) and block out the stimulus from trifreakiness.
Oh yeah, also:
No cycling. No running. No swimming. NO SPORTS media, interaction, etc. at all.
Read about subjects you have never considered before -- anything NEW.
Go to places you have never BEEN -- where it's QUIET.
Talk to people you've never met -- anyone except athletes.
Don't investigate nutrition details. Don't investigate burnout. Don't "go molecular."
Tune it all out and go somewhere new, quiet, in nature, without cell phone.

That's it.

Absolutely fantastic advice. I need to remember this next Fall when I start law school.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't mean this second… but in the next month or two shite changes quick! I think you'd agree that outdoor activities here require some serious motivation, or really nice technical gear… trying to find something before it hits ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love Kingdom!!!! Closes next week :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do others thing you like. Reading or whatever, it doesn't have to be a sport.
It's dangerous to put all eggs in the same basket. I see a lot of people dedicating almost 100% life on triathlon and then burnout and leave the sport.
Keep other hobbies for the times when you are low motivation, it will come back if it's your thing!

Free Indoor Cycling Software - https://maximumtrainer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [MaximumTrainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quit doing anything/everything athletic and get fat............ cured me and I'm back at it, a lot slower now, but at least i'm back at it.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
quit doing anything/everything athletic and get fat............ cured me and I'm back at it, a lot slower now, but at least i'm back at it.

Breaks are huge, and there are a lot of suggested formats for breaks.

Like the above poster says it, do anything BUT your sport, and get fat.

When you want to carry out those activities again, and are tired of getting in fat, you should slowly ease back into training.

At that point, your motivation will probably swing around in the other direction, you will have to worry about not doing too much (and over doing it and getting tired/unmotivated again!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a great time of year here to just get out and ride the bike and explore. The colors are starting to pop out some and so at the end of a pretty "meh" race season, I have found a lot of solace in group rides with cyclists and just honing those skills that get neglected during triathlon season. Paddleboarding has been fun as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next