Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time Goal for Ironman
Quote | Reply
Who thinks it would be worth training for, and racing IMFL, just to have a fast Ironman PR?
Or if you cannot race IMFL (because of other commitments), where else might you go to do that?
(IMAZ is the same time of year and probably 10 minutes slower).
(HIT Palm Springs looks flat, but can you PR with little competition)?
(Roth too away)..
Quote Reply
Re: Time Goal for Ironman [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 triathlons are so variable, does it really matter? wouldn't you just be PR'g on that course?

besides, i'd rather say i did 10:00 at IMMT/IMC than 9:30 at IMFL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone racer has different goals:
*Want to break 10hours
*Qualify for Kona
*Do the toughest Ironmans

Find what matters to you and do it, training for IM is a lot of work so do what makes you happy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Who thinks it would be worth training for, and racing IMFL, just to have a fast Ironman PR?"

Probably the kind of person who would draft their ass off in a race known for rampant drafting in pursuit of said "fast Ironman PR" and "hey...what could I do...everyone was doing it."

I kind of feel bad for the people who don't draft @IMFL and put up a good time because most people assume they did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have considered this very thing for next year. I'm leaning against it, though; I just can't get fired up about IMFL.

George D.
Canton, GA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most likely the person who has no social life, their wife is ready to walk out on and no money. This is due to spending their life persuing mindless goals such as swimming, running and cycling 5% faster over 140.2 miles so they can lie on their death bed and look back and say their life was well lived because they did an ironman in their 40's (30+ years ago) in 9.5hrs instead of 10.

There is nothing more sad than looking at a grown man and seeing their life crumble apart just because they want to get faster at ironman triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who went 11:00:13 at Ironman CDA, I get it. I am racing IMAZ, in part, to go for 10:xx (without drafting). Also part of the Ironman Foundation/Newton Running triathlon team (http://www.triteamforgood.com), and we are raising funds and providing community service while there. Anyway, I was fortunate to run 2:59 marathons at Boston the past couple of years and there is nothing wrong with an arbitrary goal. Certainly the tough courses are great too (I was on the IM Lake Tahoe beach this year in my wetsuit when it was cancelled), but I say go for it. Not sure why anyone would hate on this idea.

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally no. I train/race for personal enjoyment. May get some satisfaction from how I do relative to others (friends who are racing the same event, or overall AG placing) but times don't really factor into it much. The only people who might actually care (in the loosest possible sense of the word) what my Ironman PR is would be other knowledgeable triathletes, in which case they'd probably also know enough to spot if it was done on a particularly fast course.

I'm slightly more interested in run-only times as they tend to be more comparable than cycling events across different years and courses, unless it's a particularly hilly course.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Goal for Ironman [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
Most likely the person who has no social life, their wife is ready to walk out on and no money. This is due to spending their life persuing mindless goals such as swimming, running and cycling 5% faster over 140.2 miles so they can lie on their death bed and look back and say their life was well lived because they did an ironman in their 40's (30+ years ago) in 9.5hrs instead of 10.

There is nothing more sad than looking at a grown man and seeing their life crumble apart just because they want to get faster at ironman triathlon.

There's also nothing that says getting faster requires ignoring the rest of your life and having it crumble. Increasing fitness can be part of a healthy lifestyle. I'd argue that there are very few people who get so obsessed that they neglect the their families, jobs, etc.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it. While I enjoy challenging myself on tough courses, I also like the challenge of setting a new PR at a distance. I'm shooting for a sub-3hr marathon this January at the Houston Marathon. I greatly prefer the Austin Marathon course, but it's hilly and Houston is better suited for a PR. I see no shame in that.

I don't know the IM courses very well. Cozumel has pretty good pavement and is flat, but conditions can make it a tough race. It'll have a very fast swim as well with the new course change. So if you can push through the wind and handle heat well, that could be an option. I also felt that CdA, while not the fastest, was suited for good times.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to beat a time, and don't care about what course, Try Melbourne or Busselton. (But if Roth is too far away, these in some ways are worse)
(Busso - damn flat, Melbourne - best surface in Australia, plus mostly flat)

If you have a goal, and don't care about the relative course differences, cherrypicking a course seems logical, if the course is 30-60mins faster than another - why not, if all you care about is the numbers at the end of the day.

Personally, I just want to finish in Daylight, that would be nice.
Maybe in 7 weeks - Guess we shall see.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Goal for Ironman [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:

Wow - why so much judgment on the OP?

Or are you talking about yourself?

Honest question - just trying to figure out where your coming from...

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Time Goal for Ironman [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2, on not letting the rest of your life crumble. there are absolutely sacrifices, but the key is to make the wise ones. I used to watch hours watching sports on tv (baseball games, sportscenter, etc). Hardly ever now, unless i'm on a treadmill, though I prefer running outdoors. I don't bullshit with friends drinking beer. Much of my social time is with guys running and riding or with my sons friends. the key is to focus on the things that you'd potentially regret sacrificing and NOT sacrificing those. I don't think I'll look back and say, "gee, I wish I watched more sportscenter or drinking beer." I know I won't look back and say I should've spent more time with my son.
Quote Reply