Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3?
Quote | Reply
Augusta was my last 70.3 of the season and I'm starting to plan out next season. I live in South Louisiana so I'm trying to pick a race that isn't too incredibly far. I refuse to do NOLA 70.3 again so I'm not even considering that as an option. So what are y'all thoughts on these three? If you've done one of the three, give me some pros and cons for it. If you've done a couple, or even all of them, tell me which you liked the best and why. My rankings in Augusta were Swim-66th Bike-17th Run-20th, just to give you an idea of my strengths and weaknesses. However, I did sorta pass up the swim exit and have to swim back up stream which cost me a minute or so, but I'm still not the best swimmer anyway. Any input would be great. Thanks

Panama 70.3
Galveston 70.3
San Juan 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [markcleblanc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Panama 70.3 is not an option for 2015 anymore...

http://ironmanpanama.com/welcome/

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea why?
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was about to register for Panama again! Too bad its not there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Galveston 5x. I love that race. Doing it again next year and also doing NOLA the week before.

Also looking at doing Puerto Rico as well.

Panama is dead as already noted.

Galveston looks "easy" on paper since it's flat as can be but the wind can be a killer. The average finish times at Galveston are slower than the average finish times of much tougher courses. The swim, despite being wetsuit legal and in salt water, actually tends to be slow. It's not super choppy but it's choppy enough to slow the swim. The bike is basically 28 miles out in a SW direction and 28 miles back in a NE direction. Winds are generally coming from some southerly direction. So the norm is to expect some sort of headwind/crosswind the first half and tailwind/crosswind the second half. People tend to overcook themselves the first half of the bike. A power meter is run friend on that course. The run is flat around the Moody Gardens area. It has been a three loop run the last 3-4 years. Expect it to be hot for that time of the year but similar to what you'd experience in Louisiana.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From their email to me two days ago:

We are currently negotiating with the new government officials. Pending on the contract renewal, new date and registration will be announced via our website, Facebook fan page and emailed to our database.

We look forward to seeing you in 2015

Best regards,

BN Sports Team

Edit: Looks like WTC just made the postponement official and moved the latin-american championship to Brasil
http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#axzz3EvBFQoCM
Last edited by: DamonHenry: Oct 2, 14 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puerto Rico is a great race. I did it last year and really enjoyed it. I like ocean swims and the protected water there is nice. The bike is flat and a little windy with decent roads for the most part. A few bad patches but generally not bad. The run is challenging/hilly/hot and more difficult than it looks on paper. Basically all of it is right along the coast though, which is nice. I'd definitely recommend it. Easy travel as you don't need a passport either.

Quote | Reply
Galveston is a well run race, that hopefully will move back to April 1, but Galveston 2015 in late April? Blech! Very hot! The swim is so muddy, you can't see your hands. Crowded bike courses can be dangerous if you start in a later wave and are passing slower riders at a high differential speed. Galveston is also now the same week as HITS Marble Falls, so I chose HITS because cheaper, the swim is nicer, the bike is scenic, with less congestion, and in spite of the MF run which is hot, hard, hilly and highway.

HITS put on a great race at Marble Falls last year, so fun that I'm trying some of their spring races - Naples, FL in January and Ocala, FL in March. Registration looks to still be at the $200 level this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:

We are currently negotiating with the new government officials. Pending on the contract renewal, new date and registration will be announced via our website, Facebook fan page and emailed to our database.

Ah that is good news! Thanks for looking into it.

I did the inaugural year and was planning to go back at some point. Too bad they changed up the ride to no longer go over the bridge and up the Pan American Highway - I thought that was one of the best parts of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [joggernut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joggernut wrote:
DamonHenry wrote:

Ah that is good news! Thanks for looking into it.

I did the inaugural year and was planning to go back at some point. Too bad they changed up the ride to no longer go over the bridge and up the Pan American Highway - I thought that was one of the best parts of the race.

Panama is dead. Race is not happening.

Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Galveston is a well run race, that hopefully will move back to April 1, but Galveston 2015 in late April? Blech! Very hot! The swim is so muddy, you can't see your hands. Crowded bike courses can be dangerous if you start in a later wave and are passing slower riders at a high differential speed. Galveston is also now the same week as HITS Marble Falls, so I chose HITS because cheaper, the swim is nicer, the bike is scenic, with less congestion, and in spite of the MF run which is hot, hard, hilly and highway.

HITS put on a great race at Marble Falls last year, so fun that I'm trying some of their spring races - Naples, FL in January and Ocala, FL in March. Registration looks to still be at the $200 level this week.

Galveston had to move next year because its usual first Sunday in April date happens to be Easter in 2015. My guess is the next week or two were already booked up in Galveston so they had to move it to the 26th. The race was held in late-April prior to 2011 when it was moved to early-April to provide more separation between TX70.3 and IMTX. A move back to early-April would only be for 2016 as IMTX moves to April in 2017. It will be interesting to see when they schedule TX70.3 in 2017 and beyond. My guess is it moves to the fall.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar debate. Well between San Juan and Galveston... I did the math and San Juan turned out to be only about 400$ more expensive, and I would be staying a day longer then Galveston... and I much rather go to to Puerto Rico then Texas...

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:

You know this because...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joggernut wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Because they said so...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
joggernut wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Because they said so...

Oooook, but that is not what they "said" and I hope you are wrong in your prognostication. DamonHenry took it one step further and contacted them as they suggested.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joggernut wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
joggernut wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Because they said so...

Oooook, but that is not what they "said" and I hope you are wrong in your prognostication. DamonHenry took it one step further and contacted them as they suggested.

Follow closely here... in between the time he was sent that email and early this morning the race was canceled/postponed.

They "said" two days ago they were negotiating a new date.

They "said" today the race is a goner for at least 2015.

Their website looked normal yesterday and today it has the "race is a goner for 2015" page only. So it appears whatever negotiations were in play last week are no longer in play and the race is not happening. It's possible it could return in 2016 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they definitely killed it off for 2015. Who would risk their money, register and book airfare with all the delays and wishy-washiness that has gone on for months? To save the race for 2016 the organizers need to get a confirmed date and put it out a year in advance as most races do. If we don't see a firm 2016 date by the end of Feb 2015 the race is probably toast. Very few races come back to life once they miss a year. Aka, Ironman Regensburg cancelled for 2013 to possibly return in 2014 ... didn't happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yeah, they definitely killed it off for 2015. Who would risk their money, register and book airfare with all the delays and wishy-washiness that has gone on for months? To save the race for 2016 the organizers need to get a confirmed date and put it out a year in advance as most races do. If we don't see a firm 2016 date by the end of Feb 2015 the race is probably toast. Very few races come back to life once they miss a year. Aka, Ironman Regensburg cancelled for 2013 to possibly return in 2014 ... didn't happen.

It does seem that WTC's imposed deadline did not motivate negotiations enough, and thus their subsequent loss of regional championship status. Perhaps the threat of cancelation will make a difference if the issue is a share of the money. From what I recall being down there to race and from their Facebook page since then there is a loyal following, but it may not survive as an Ironman brand race. Ha, maybe it can come back as Challenge Panama!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, Challenge Panama! Now there's an idea!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am from South Louisiana also and have done Galveston the last couple years. It is a well run race. You jump off a dock, swim in th bay (wetsuit legal), then ride along the beach. The bike is very flat except for the bridge which really isn't bad at all. The run is around Moody Gardens and there is lots of spectators. Your family will have several opportunities to see you on the run each lap. I enjoyed it and will probably do it next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [Studd Muffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Studd Muffin wrote:
I am from South Louisiana also and have done Galveston the last couple years. It is a well run race. You jump off a dock, swim in th bay (wetsuit legal), then ride along the beach. The bike is very flat except for the bridge which really isn't bad at all. The run is around Moody Gardens and there is lots of spectators. Your family will have several opportunities to see you on the run each lap. I enjoyed it and will probably do it next year.

The race will be a month later April 26.
Wetsuit is problematic that late in the year.
Its a great race and have 6 times
Likely warmer and windier this year with later date however
Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kylebutler wrote:
Studd Muffin wrote:

The race will be a month later April 26.
Wetsuit is problematic that late in the year.
Its a great race and have 6 times
Likely warmer and windier this year with later date however

The race was held in late-April previous to 2011. It was always wetsuit legal. The last time it was held in late-April it was really hot (two degrees shy of the all-time record) and even then the water was several degrees below the limit (72-73).

It takes a lot to warm up Galveston Bay that early in the year.

Quote Reply
Re: Panama? Galveston? or San Juan? Which 70.3? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Looks like it is official - no Panama 2015, hope to be back 2016. From website:

IRONMAN 70.3 Panama | Official Announcement
For 2015, the IRONMAN 70.3 Panama has been postponed, which means that there will be no race in February. Pending contract renewal, we will announce the 2016 event.
Quote Reply