Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2014 Norseman video is here
Quote | Reply
The 2014 Norseman video is here.
I know several writing here on ST took part in this race. I hope you find yourself in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7sgnUs6r0&list=UUuNhI69Ta5RjdT_pfdOTuvA

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Norseman video is here [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing Halvard. Norseman is certainly high on my race bucket list.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a little bummed not to make the video, especially since I finished 2nd female... oh well, guess I'll have to race it again next year :)

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Norseman video is here [maggieru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it as cold as it looks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just making the link clickable . . thanks for sharing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7sgnUs6r0&list=UUuNhI69Ta5RjdT_pfdOTuvA

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Norseman video is here [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water wasn't that cold this year - though my toes did start to get numb at times. The bike is so rolling that at some points you would be hot and then as you climbed into higher elevations it would be freezing. I didn't feel my toes for the first few miles of the run, which actually was surprisingly hot for the first 10 or so miles. Then as you climb Zombie and Gaustatoppen it definitely gets brutal. I forget actual air temp but it's miserably cold at the top, especially once you stop sweating. I actually got zero photos at the top post-finish because all I wanted to do was head inside the small hut for some hot soup.

The thing no one tells you: jumping off the ferry really isn't that terrifying as they make it out to be ;)

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do such an incredible job of this race. Top notch organizers, amazing experience. I almost forget how brutally difficult it was.

It is so tempting to enter again, but I hesistate a little as I fear the second time may not necessarily be as incredible. However, I do have a lot of unfinished business out there! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim was not as cold as I had anticipated, but I think we were lucky with water temps. The ride and run (climb) had a bit of everything - wind, rain, fog - so I did get cold a few times. Having appropriate gear and fresh socks helped enormously.

The top of the mountain was really cold, but at the time I was so focused I didn't feel much of it at all. Did the climb in a short sleeve wool shirt and run shorts. It was freezing when I stopped!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Norseman you will get the experience of going through different climate zones. The valleys can be warm (Norwegian warm, not Kona warm) and calm, while the weather on the top of the hills can be brutal. Also you usually heat up uphill and then get met with colder temperature and maybe some wind and rain.

This is why logistics and having a supporting support crew is important.

From T2 until Zombie hill it is usually warm, something that is more than welcome after Imingfjell and the downhill through Tessungdalen.
Then it will get gradually colder. The last 3 miles can be cold. It is not uncommon with snow on Gaustatoppen during August.

It is a reason the organizers make sure you carry warm cloths with you the last three miles.

But the changing weather and conditions are one of many reasons while Norseman is the race for some of us :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
please tell me folks are shuttled down the mountain vs made to walk back down.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Norseman video is here [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
please tell me folks are shuttled down the mountain vs made to walk back down.

The athletes can use an old elevator to get down. The support crew has to walk down.

Last year when I competed the elevator was out due to lightening so all athletes including me had to walk down 3 miles on the rocky trail.
It was quite an experience, especially since it started to get dark. But that is also the reason you need to bring a flashlight or headlamp with you the last 3 miles.

If I am not totally wrong. This year they made the athletes to put on their reflective vest and lights over the last mountain on the bike due to rain and fog. You can see that in the video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I plan on entering the lottery the end of the month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing.

I participatd in 2012, it was defnitely an experience i dont want to miss.

----------------------------
2012: Norseman. I'm done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any crazies here on ST that have done Norseman, Celtman, and Swissman? It would be interesting to hear their take on which is the hardest and why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video. Makes me want to do the race.

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ironman is like a parade..."

That's an awesome quote! I can't fathom this race, looks truly EPIC!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Norseman video is here [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
"Ironman is like a parade..."

That's an awesome quote! I can't fathom this race, looks truly EPIC!

+100
Quote Reply