Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe Type Confusion
Quote | Reply
I don't get all the different kinds of shoes. Up until now, I just bought runners that were comfortable and I used them for most everything. As I get into triathlons I see training shoes, racing shoes, running shoes and triathlon shoes. Other than style - minimalist or more cushioning - they look kind of the same. Is this all marketing to take advantage of noobs like me?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Type Confusion [frozenchosen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a running specialty store around you?
Most running shoes fall into 3 categories: 1. Cushioning Neutral 2. Stability 3. Motion Control. You should get the type that's most appropriate to your gait. See here for some more info: http://www.triguru.com/...at-shoe-do-i-choose/

As for the level of cushioning vs. flat / light racing shoe - that is a personal preference. If you're young, flexible & light - then a light racing shoe might be for you. If you're heavier, worry about injuries, plan to ramp up your running to long distances - then go for something with a bit more pillowy softness.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you Canadian? You called them 'runners' & I usually hear Canadians call running shoes that...

You have 0 drop shoes & non-zero drop. 0 drop will mean there isn't any difference between the heel & forefoot--riding the same plane. I prefer shoes with about a 9-10 mm drop (more traditional). I have developed Achilles heel issues with lower or zero drop shoes, so go for more traditional shoes.

Basically there are 3 kinds of foot shapes. Racers are often built with a curved last shape (banana shape). There are semi-curved last (my #1 choice), then straight last shoes. Try several shoes on built with these last shapes to find what is more comfortable (same with the drop or no-drop shoes).

You'll need to look at the bottom of your shoes to see where they wear out most, where the EVA or foam develops "wrinkles" to see how severely you crush your shoes from pronation or supination. Take into account where you will run & how much, the support and sole material is important, as is the weight. Likely if you run trails or heavy mileage you won't want to run in a racer all the time, too little cushion & you'll break shoes down quicker. If you want spend $$$ then go ahead on the racers & replace them all the time. Beefier shoes will last longer, but will be heavier.

BOOST (Adidas) has super nice cushion shoes, but for some reason lag behind in seamless upper trends & will fit excellent for narrow feet. HOKA ONE ONE are super thick over-cushioned shoes that tend to be wider than most brands. Try lots of pairs on at your local store & support the local businesses if you can, ask lots of question & educate yourself on what are important features of running shoes. Prices vary so I realize budget has a place in the decision. Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each different shoe provides a different fit to your foot. If you just look for running shoes you will be overwhelmed by how many options there are out there. The best place to start is to look at your feet. You can have short and wide feet, long and skinny feet, and everything in between. The important thing is to find a shoe that fits the natural shape of your foot. Another thing to think about is the way your foot strikes the ground as you run. There are many arguments about this among the running world. Most people will be heel-strikers. By this I mean the first thing to come in contact with the ground is your heel and it strikes in front of your body. Now here is where you need to make a decision. Is that something that you would like to try and change and become more efficient or do you want a shoe that will protect you from that and keep your form the same? If it is the latter, I would suggest looking at shoes with more cushion and a high heel-to-toe drop (8 or above). That way the sole of the shoe absorbs as much of the vibrations of your foot hitting the ground as possible. Normally look for saucony, adidas, asics, and brooks. Now if you were looking to adapt to a more efficient style of running and take on a bit of a challenge I would go with a low heel-to-toe drop or even a zero drop shoe. You don't have to sacrifice cushion either. I am currently running in a zero drop shoe but the stack height is 34 mm. I like to call them my "lake-running shoes" because I'm sure I would float on water. A zero drop shoe allows for you foot to land how it was meant to land without over compensating with awkward cushion. I would suggest looking at Altra Zero Drop and New Balance. I have run in all of these shoe brands and my favorite of all time is Altra Zero Drop. The important thing is to find a brand that works for you. Once you find that brand, you won't ever need to find another shoe brand again.

Here is a really good video with 6-time olympic running coach, Bobby McGee, talks about running shoes: http://goo.gl/0Lq4Av

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Type Confusion [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, I'm Canadian and the closest speciality shoe store is about 1000 miles away (see how I converted to miles for all the American folks?).

I'm going to check out the links in the comments but what I think I'm hearing is:
Ignore the hype.
Figure out how I run.
Find a shoe that fits the way I run and I feel good wearing.
Buy said shoe and break records! (Maybe that one is just my inner voice.)

Sounds about right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this site: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/...es/mensshoesrunning/

On the left side of the screen you should see a spotted dog; "ShoeDog". Click on that and answer the questions as best you can
and it will recommend what shoes are best for you.

Trav