Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running Power meter [euroasian8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think it would be interesting to be able to look at a race and see what went on, i'm not sure if it would tell you anything different from pace on a flat course though.

there's that whole mechanics thing too, I know that as i have gotten older my form has deteriorated and I waste a lot of "watts" by having a tight hipped, waddling sort of shuffle stride, so am I just not getting the power to the ground? I'm slow because I don't spend enough time flying through the air between strides with a strong knee drive, you would not measure that with just a toe push strain guage because it goes to crap after push off, The I reach out and overstride so I hit the brakes, again, how do you measure the effect of that common defect?
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
I think your missing the point. In cycling, power is more important, because HR responds too slow and speed also responds too slow and it too variable based on outside factors like aerodynamics, wind and rolling resistance.

In running , there is an element of run economy, that pace won't capture and HR is too variable to fully capture, this is true. But I'd be amazed if there was a repeatable way to examine your stride metrics,adjusted for your weight, and come up somehow with a numberical value with any accuracy better than a HRM or pace. In cycling, the measurement of power is very easy, and the instrumentation has existed for decades, and is just only no compact and affordable enough to be widely used.

You would still have some challenge of accurately measuring elevation change and wind when examining stride metrics.

It would be easier to take pace and normalize it for grade, HR drift or variability as well as using stride metrics and work backwards. You'd need to use the equivalent of WKO to analyse a large pool of your runing data and do some tests at different paces when rested for benchmarks. In that way, you could develop some sort of number relative to threshold that take economy, grade, etc. into account. I guess you could factor in weight and roughly estimate power output.

sort of agreed here, gait variability and differing biomechanical effeciency essentially makes normalizing run biomechanics very very very difficult. in cycling, everyone is doing more or less the same repeated motion- so this is measurable. lots of people have slight leg length discrepancy, some run heelstriking, some run with a midfoot strike, etc- so all this of course affects how much 'power' you output.

I would argue too that it's not needed. I came from a cross country background and all you need, really, is a stopwatch. most run training is done in a controlled loop- a track or a known race course.a 400m track is a 400m track. far less variability to deal with- especially traffic/wind, and what have you. not so in cycling. Good runners know what pacing they can churn out per km and will adjust for terrain and go from there- and most of the time its pretty close. Good runners also know from experience how far out they can 'kick'- no need for a running powermeter to tell you that.

GPS watches are probably the most expensive training tool a top level runner needs, and even then many get by without them. most of my high level running friends don't even use heart rate- they use it, sure, but it's not a main metric. time is what counts.

so based on these two things- the difficulties in making something that actually works and can tell the differences between different humans- as well as the lack of need or demand for one- probably means it wont take off.

While nothing you say is wrong, I still think with a real, working running powermeter, coaches will still find a way to eke out small performance gains from it, not dissimilar to cycling powermeter gains.

Yes, you can run world-class level with a stopwatch only. Kenyan runners beat the whole world with zero tech, zero coaches, and zero shoes. Doesn't mean that all the new tracking devices can't be helpful and even push performance at the world class level IF used correctly.

A running powermeter would likely change the nature of high-level coaching in ways very similar to that of cycling. Like it or not, run courses ARE different, and all runners currently do a lot of estimating to correlate efforts between different courses and elevations. It's not as extreme as cycling, but a true working run powermeter would be a game-changer in getting true, objective numbers for training load without being tied to a track or treadmill.

As is, I'm actually surprised no treadmill manufacturer does a Powercal-like pseudo-powermeter for treadmill running, as it seems that would be the easiest place to start, likely only a software solution (runner weight and speed and incline being the main factors). That alone could be a great niche product that could grow a lot - sounds like a good and realistic project for a budding science/engineering student!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
I think your missing the point. In cycling, power is more important, because HR responds too slow and speed also responds too slow and it too variable based on outside factors like aerodynamics, wind and rolling resistance.

In running , there is an element of run economy, that pace won't capture and HR is too variable to fully capture, this is true. But I'd be amazed if there was a repeatable way to examine your stride metrics,adjusted for your weight, and come up somehow with a numberical value with any accuracy better than a HRM or pace. In cycling, the measurement of power is very easy, and the instrumentation has existed for decades, and is just only no compact and affordable enough to be widely used.

You would still have some challenge of accurately measuring elevation change and wind when examining stride metrics.

It would be easier to take pace and normalize it for grade, HR drift or variability as well as using stride metrics and work backwards. You'd need to use the equivalent of WKO to analyse a large pool of your runing data and do some tests at different paces when rested for benchmarks. In that way, you could develop some sort of number relative to threshold that take economy, grade, etc. into account. I guess you could factor in weight and roughly estimate power output.

sort of agreed here, gait variability and differing biomechanical effeciency essentially makes normalizing run biomechanics very very very difficult. in cycling, everyone is doing more or less the same repeated motion- so this is measurable. lots of people have slight leg length discrepancy, some run heelstriking, some run with a midfoot strike, etc- so all this of course affects how much 'power' you output.

I would argue too that it's not needed. I came from a cross country background and all you need, really, is a stopwatch. most run training is done in a controlled loop- a track or a known race course.a 400m track is a 400m track. far less variability to deal with- especially traffic/wind, and what have you. not so in cycling. Good runners know what pacing they can churn out per km and will adjust for terrain and go from there- and most of the time its pretty close. Good runners also know from experience how far out they can 'kick'- no need for a running powermeter to tell you that.

GPS watches are probably the most expensive training tool a top level runner needs, and even then many get by without them. most of my high level running friends don't even use heart rate- they use it, sure, but it's not a main metric. time is what counts.

so based on these two things- the difficulties in making something that actually works and can tell the differences between different humans- as well as the lack of need or demand for one- probably means it wont take off.

Well said. Some of the best workouts in HS cross country I remember where repeats of a particular segment of our home race course. Antoher were pace workouts where you ran 400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400 pyramid and you kept track of your +/- on your goal pace. The "winner" had the lowest variability. The winner 2 times was a MOP kid... and not surprising one of the most improved runners on the team that season. I use my GPS to track training load and HR for a baseline and to track problem (like HR that won't increase with pace, is a sign of overreaching)... like if you running at marathon pace and you HR still says zone 1 and your getting a little light headed.... no, your not that fit.... you have a problem.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run courses are not as different as you think. Tracks are tracks. I have friends who are national caliber runners ( now I'm not even talking about ryan halls or that sort- my country record marathon time is a 2:30 odd.) and they can tell me their half marathon predicted times to within ten seconds on an unfamiliar course. 90% of the time, they are right. In high school I could predict my 5k XC course times pretty accurately ( +/- 20 seconds) despite having never run it. There's no hiding in long-D running, minimal drafting. you either can keep up a 3min/km pace or you can't. if you're running on a track, even better. a track is a track is a track. some tracks might 'feel' faster but this is of little consequence for any mid -long distance runner.

I work in biomechanics ( degree in mech eng, doing a masters in biomedical eng) and it's not actually that easy to implement on a treadmill. As I mentioned, the biomechanics of running/walking are pretty complicated it's alot more than just weight. you'd have to take into account biomechanical discrepancies- leg length variations ( lots of people have this without actually knowing it) , varus/valgus rotations of the foot, and much, much more. what happens if you change shoes? suddenly all these parameters change. what happens if your form goes to hell after 5 miles? In the lab we measure such things using infra red markers and cameras- similar to what is done in a RETUL fit just more complex and accurate. I don't know of any system that could do this 'on-the-fly'. You'd have to get this down pat if you wanted to reach the accuracy of today's cycling powermeters (+/- 2%)MAYBE you could write a program for the treadmil's force plate to tell if you were a heel/mid/forefoot striker, but you'd need a heck load of population data to establish that first.

I don't doubt that clever coaches would devise 'something' out of a running powermeter. maybe you could use it to test budding runners to what sort of distance they would excel in- 800?1500? 5ks? but you can already do so pretty quickly by doing a few running races. running effeciency? VO2 max will tell you that. IMO the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this past weekend's USAT Art & Science Symposium conference, the company that is selling the running PM did a presentation. A lot of interesting looks from some of the coaches I respect. I think someone asked earlier, "are we creating an solution to a problem that doesn't exist", is sorta how I feel about the running PM. From the gist of it, it's an insole that has all the readings or whatever, but I'm just not sure, we are there yet for it to have practical/good data collection that doesn't bother athletes (it only comes in certain insole, you cant just add it to your current insoles). Cute product, probably 8 years too soon to have it become an "it'" thing.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we set aside the technical, accuracy and reliability issues and assume the running power meter works as well as the better cycling power meters, I would imagine the data could be used in very much the same way cycling power meter data is used to track training.

There are many cycle power meter experts on the is forum, I would be interested to see their views.

My opinion, assuming it works, the power meter would come into its own when you are training outdoors over mixed terrain, hills slopes rough ground soft grass hard Tarmac, cold wind, hot still, humid dry etc etc.

I wonder what Andrew Coggan's opinion might be? Would he take the view it would be of use or would he say it is of little use because we can easily track time pace and distance?
Last edited by: Richard H: Sep 18, 14 3:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
Run courses are not as different as you think. Tracks are tracks. I have friends who are national caliber runners ( now I'm not even talking about ryan halls or that sort- my country record marathon time is a 2:30 odd.) and they can tell me their half marathon predicted times to within ten seconds on an unfamiliar course. 90% of the time, they are right. In high school I could predict my 5k XC course times pretty accurately ( +/- 20 seconds) despite having never run it. There's no hiding in long-D running, minimal drafting. you either can keep up a 3min/km pace or you can't. if you're running on a track, even better. a track is a track is a track. some tracks might 'feel' faster but this is of little consequence for any mid -long distance runner.

I work in biomechanics ( degree in mech eng, doing a masters in biomedical eng) and it's not actually that easy to implement on a treadmill. As I mentioned, the biomechanics of running/walking are pretty complicated it's alot more than just weight. you'd have to take into account biomechanical discrepancies- leg length variations ( lots of people have this without actually knowing it) , varus/valgus rotations of the foot, and much, much more. what happens if you change shoes? suddenly all these parameters change. what happens if your form goes to hell after 5 miles? In the lab we measure such things using infra red markers and cameras- similar to what is done in a RETUL fit just more complex and accurate. I don't know of any system that could do this 'on-the-fly'. You'd have to get this down pat if you wanted to reach the accuracy of today's cycling powermeters (+/- 2%)MAYBE you could write a program for the treadmil's force plate to tell if you were a heel/mid/forefoot striker, but you'd need a heck load of population data to establish that first.

I don't doubt that clever coaches would devise 'something' out of a running powermeter. maybe you could use it to test budding runners to what sort of distance they would excel in- 800?1500? 5ks? but you can already do so pretty quickly by doing a few running races. running effeciency? VO2 max will tell you that. IMO the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

i can peg my paces down to about the same amount, and I'm not an elite runner. It still doesn't mean I'm training as accurately/objectively as I would be with a working run powermeter. (I can do the same with the bike.) It just means I know my own paces.

Despite what you say abou the biomechanics, power is still power. Changing shoes should not dramatically change power. Similar with form, although your pace will slow. Scientists have already studied running and know that calories burned per FLAT mile are fairly consistent across speeds if controlled for body weight, which is why you can get a fairly accurate estimation of your calories burned for flat courses just by plugging your weight into a calculator. A run powermeter would allow you to extend this across dramatic elevation changes. This means that unlike the fairly inconsistent bike powercal, a treadmill 'powercal' that might do something as simple as correlate pace/incline/bodyweight to tested lab values on a chart, could actually give very accurate power estimations on runnning, as all those other factors you mention like shoes, fore/aftstrikign/etc, dont significantly affect the power (if it did the calories burned estimates would be wildly off for flat course and equal weight comparisons.)
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
If we set aside the technical, accuracy and reliability issues and assume the running power meter works as well as the better cycling power meters, I would imagine the data could be used in very much the same way cycling power meter data is used to track training.

There are many cycle power meter experts on the is forum, I would be interested to see their views.

My opinion, assuming it works, the power meter would come into its own when you are training outdoors over mixed terrain, hills slopes rough ground soft grass hard Tarmac, cold wind, hot still, humid dry etc etc.

I wonder what Andrew Coggan's opinion might be? Would he take the view it would be of use or would he say it is of little use because we can easily track time pace and distance?

I still think that it would be very useful for hilly course comparisons. For flat courses, yes, you can get high precision just by using pace for own improvement purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you know your own pace, any good run coach can give you a very effective running program based on that if you have a track to train on.

define 'fairly accurate'.

While I don't deal with the sports science side of things in biomechanics (mainly clinical) , ' accurate' can run anywhere from 1% error to 15% error in the clinical world. if calories burned were anywhere in the realms of acceptable accuracy, we would see world class athletes basing their workouts off it. I don't know any world class athlete basing their running training program off 'calories burned.' do you?

running gait and Form will Definitely affect power. form affects effeciency, power is work done per unit time, and for the same speed if you have poor form the work you need to output per unit time (power) will be greater. We have examples of people with very similar VO2max, similar weight, but consistently different run times. some people are just more effecient at 'using' than energy than others. UNLESS you normalise power into only power that is involved in forward motion. i.e. in the lab we study Forces in x/y/z plane of the gait cycle, where only x contributes significantly to forward motion. How you would actually measure this in a small compact device is something yet to be solved.

How different will shoes/gait be? you raise a point that it will not be significant. I counter that the culmulative changes WILL be significant enough to be render a running powermeter rather pointless, unless you can somehow keep perfectly consistent ru form and biomechanics across all your runs. even a 5%-10% power difference in pacing Tri events is good enough to screw up your run, which begs the question what level of accuracy do you need? if your running powermeter is giving you +/-5-10% accuracy, you might as well be using the stopwatch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a major consideration that is being ignored in this discussion.

What forces are going to be used in the calculation of power?

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was mulling over this on my run today.

Most of the run was in breeze and shade over rough but reasonably flat grass/ gravel/ Tarmac, but one stretch was in strong hot sun with no breeze and no shade.

First I felt hotter, then my breathing became laboured, then I had to slow down, then I saw heart rate had increased from 150bpm to I60bpm.

Now my pace dropped so power dropped but my breathing increased and heart rate increased.

This got me thinking which set of data would tell me most about the run.

Pace would be recorded as dropping so I would score less training points than if it were cool the whole run and didn't have to slow down.

Power would track pace ( no hills ) reasonably closely so, would again score less training points than if it were cool the whole run assuming I ran at the same pace and didn't increase speed.

Heart rate would score higher than if it were cool the whole run, considerably higher because although I was reduced to a walk for a minute, heart rate still hung up over 150 when I resumed running.

So, the training stress as recorded by pace, and hypothetically power, would record less points due to the drop in pace/ power than a cool day, but heart rate would record training strain points as higher due to the elevated heart rate caused by the direct sun, heat and lack of shade.

So for that run, power would tell me nothing I can't get from my watch, but heart rate at least reflected the increased strain.

The run ended up stressing or straining my cardio system more than I intended, but pace or power alone would record a session which stressed me less and a pace or power lower than I intended.

Which data is most likely to score the session most realistically in terms of tracking training?

However, I have recently done a few runs round a park where there is a slight gradient half the lap and a little sharp gradient. I run at a slow pace but breathing and heart rate increase up the slopes and it gets easier down the slopes. Pace is lower over the lap than the same distance on the flat.

Pace records a slower session than a flat session, heart rate records a harder session, and power would probably record the same average power as the flat, perhaps a little higher, but NP would probably be higher than average power and give a truer number than pace.

So I can see the benefit of a running power meter, if it worked, when you run over undulating terrain or up and down hills, but a running power meter will not tell you anything about how heat Was affecting you other than show reduced power in hot weather.

Overall, I can't see a running power meter telling you much more than pace.

Then I was thinking about what blood lactate would tell me. Would that increase at the time I got overheated and slowed down? Would the blood lactate have been in line with heart rate or would it have tracked pace / power?

Incidentally, one reason I prefer running to cycling is you don't have even the temptation to invest time money and effort into a power meter, software and analysis.

I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the days of running power meters. I can see people getting terribly bogged down in pace, power, heart rate and lactate data.

I very rarely run with a heart rate monitor, sometimes not even with a watch. Running is very much my zen time.
Last edited by: Richard H: Sep 22, 14 5:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sub-3-dad wrote:

Obviously the important forces.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
mortysct wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Wouldn't a running power meter be a perfect example of solving a problem that doesn't really exist?

I am with you 9 times out of 10. This case is the exception, where an athlete has lost weight and improved running times. One might wonder if he did enough training to actually improve physical markers, or if the gain he saw was just because he dont have to carry around all the extra flab. If it is the first, great, carry on. If it is the second, results will be stagnant and something needs to change since BW cant go down forever.

OK then...not just a stopwatch...but a stopwatch and a scale ;-)

Tom, I agree that coming up with this innovation won't tell us that much, but it might be interesting. For example in the winter, I am running with easily 5-8 lbs more gear on when I am running in minus 15C temps. The air is denser and and literally feel like I am pushing a wall of wind compared to running in plus 30c with nothing but shorts and running shoes and less dense air. This innovation would also be really interesting to wear inside speed skates for those of us skating outdoors and not on an oval where we can measure split times.

The sport where this might have the most utility is in XC skiing where hills, wind, ski structure and waxing and most importantly snow conditions dramatically change the work needed to go a given speed. You'd need a strain gauge with ANT+ in each booth and inside the handle of pole (don't put it in the pole shaft because once you break the pole, which you will, your powermeter is toast). Then you would have to have each of the "terminals" transmit the instantaenous force values back to the Garmin and integrate it over time and provide a 3 s or 10 s power reading. It could be interesting to see. There have to be some Norwegian and German engineering background cyclists who ski working on this for national teams. Those teams don't leave any stone un turned in terms of analysis.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sub-3-dad wrote:

This shouldn't be too hard on a treadmill (without a treadmill, REALLY hard!)

Body weight of user and speed and incline should be the three main TM variables to consider. I could foresee a TM manufacturer actually using a true powermeter or other power-measuring device to measure treadmill power generated for various speeds/inclines, and then creating power curves for various body weights. THen, a user would just have to input body weight, and the treadmill would on the fly look up the computer power estimate for weight/speed/incline and display that. This takes advantage of the highly controlled TM environment to simplify the variables of speed/incline.

There probably are other variables, but I'll let some smarter person chime in on those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gait labs have a variant of this technology. not a treadmill per se, but forceplates in the floor tied into a motion capture system to calculate joint angles and hence parse forces into xyz planes.

another issue would be signal amplification. you'd need a very robust algorithm and filtering for this to work accurately.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Power meter [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:

I don't think a running powermeter would have nearly the impact on runners that cycling powermeters have had on cyclists.

That said, others have found success applying the same principles to runners, e.g.:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19910822
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
sub-3-dad wrote:

This shouldn't be too hard on a treadmill (without a treadmill, REALLY hard!)

Body weight of user and speed and incline should be the three main TM variables to consider. I could foresee a TM manufacturer actually using a true powermeter or other power-measuring device to measure treadmill power generated for various speeds/inclines, and then creating power curves for various body weights. THen, a user would just have to input body weight, and the treadmill would on the fly look up the computer power estimate for weight/speed/incline and display that. This takes advantage of the highly controlled TM environment to simplify the variables of speed/incline.

There probably are other variables, but I'll let some smarter person chime in on those.

I could see a power meter being integrated into the Woodway Curve as it's user propelled (no motor)

Quote Reply

Prev Next