Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:
Depends what you mean I guess. I still think FL and AZ will sell out instantly for the foreseeable future. And I don't think the market is supersaturated either, although the rest of the fall will be the better indicator. I'm most interested to see when IMCHOO fills this year.

Yes... and because they are flat as a pancake short bike rides.... and still wetsuit legal. If IMWI didn't have awesome crowds, and such a very strong triathlon community locally, I'm not sure it would survive with that bike course. I plugged IMFL into BBS with the same TSS as IMWI and I come up with a bike time 31 minutes faster! 31 minutes!

I looked back a few years at the pros who have done both in one year and came up with an average of 29 min faster I think. FWIW, I'll be doing IMFL w/ ~same FTP as you. I wasn't too jealous watching IMWI after riding the course Saturday

EDT: 31 min including or not including the penalty?

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Last edited by: Birdmantris: Sep 12, 14 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

I checked again and it's 30 minutes. But that assume I go 9 minutes faster at IMWI. It's model was 9 minutes faster than my time at the same TSS. But I also rode it a lot more aggressively. It had a VI of 1.02. Which is possible, but I would need to have shown far, far more restraint. Though I wonder if it would save me that much time riding so much slower on all the hills and faster on flats.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say that I'm looking forward to the IMWI bike course after the boring as hell IMAZ course. At least on a hilly course you get some downhills and a change of angle on the hills. On a flat course, you are PEDALING or you're not moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

I checked again and it's 30 minutes. But that assume I go 9 minutes faster at IMWI. It's model was 9 minutes faster than my time at the same TSS. But I also rode it a lot more aggressively. It had a VI of 1.02. Which is possible, but I would need to have shown far, far more restraint. Though I wonder if it would save me that much time riding so much slower on all the hills and faster on flats.

What crank did you end up running? I tried pushing 205w with a 53/39 11-28 and, personally, think a 1.02 would have been almost impossible. I ended up with 199np and a 1.04... and no way do I think I could have done much better for VI.

I know you pushed something like 230w... so I guess I can see the 1.02 as a possibility but, wow, the patience for that would be next to impossible with the crowds.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [TheBriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for my third race is Madison. Last time was in 97. Looking forward to the race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

What crank did you end up running? I tried pushing 205w with a 53/39 11-28 and, personally, think a 1.02 would have been almost impossible. I ended up with 199np and a 1.04... and no way do I think I could have done much better for VI.

I know you pushed something like 230w... so I guess I can see the 1.02 as a possibility but, wow, the patience for that would be next to impossible with the crowds.

I ran a 165mm. Again I'm 5'11" 167lbs. I think it made climbing easier, in that it's harder to go too hard up the hills. But really, I'm so used to them I don't even notice. I do notice the more open hip angle. I was surprised that I never had tight hip flexors the whole run. I still had good leg drive until my hamstrings quit on me. IF they hadn't cramped up, I think I would have found a nice quiet dark place and run 3-4 minutes faster... closer to the middle of my goal run time.

I think I just ran out of gearing and it felt more comfortable to ride at 290-310W than 270-280 up those climbs than let me speed and RPM drop lower. I mostly ignored the crowds. If not I would have sprinted up at 400W and walked the last 10 miles of the run. But the reality is that if I had eased off a little more, riding 2-3 W higher on all the flat sections would have been easier too. Being 3-4lbs lighter would have helped as well.

It's funny, I just felt like until the last 15-20 miles I constantly telling myself to slow down. In a 70.3 that only lasts for about 20 miles.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:
Depends what you mean I guess. I still think FL and AZ will sell out instantly for the foreseeable future. And I don't think the market is supersaturated either, although the rest of the fall will be the better indicator. I'm most interested to see when IMCHOO fills this year.

Yes... and because they are flat as a pancake short bike rides.... and still wetsuit legal. If IMWI didn't have awesome crowds, and such a very strong triathlon community locally, I'm not sure it would survive with that bike course. I plugged IMFL into BBS with the same TSS as IMWI and I come up with a bike time 31 minutes faster! 31 minutes!

For me, it was 4:46 at IMFL and 5:22 at IMWI on similar fitness (although, as I recall, winds were rather unfavorable in Wisconsin and favorable in Florida.) So 30 minutes sounds about right.

But, Florida sellout is more than just the course. There are a huge number of international athletes, so I strongly suspect that WTC sells a larger number of slots to international sports travel agencies. And remember where IMAZ is located: how many triathletes live within an 8 hour drive of Tempe?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [TheBriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the race this year qualified for kona, volunteering 2015 will be there to help you to the finish line
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
165mm... Standard, semi compact, compact?

I'm seriously starting to think I'll run semi compact next year. My quads were the only thing really hurting (other than nutrition) on the run and I blame riding the hills at a 50-55rpm.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode standard, but with a 52t.

Semi probably ideal. Compact better if your slower than maybe 5:40. Standard only if you run low rpm or go under maybe 4:50.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't a 52/36 a semi compact?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see a comparison between WI and FL. I did IMWI last year with a 5h35' bike and was thinking i should get a 5h05' - 5h10' split at Maryland next werk, looks like that seems quite reasonable.

Quote | Reply
I used a 52/36 and loved it. Only a few times was I grinding at a low cadence. I did not have the ride I wanted to but managed like a 5:35 of moving time, 5:43 overall with stops to stretch. I used an 11-25 on the back and didn't think I gave much away going downhill either. Got into the 11, and spun for a bit then tucked and coasted. I rode a 50/34 in 2012 but am a better rider now. I also use the 52/36 in flat Chicago and I am never looking for more speed. I think it's a perfect combo for flats and hills.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a 50/34 mated with an 11-25 and went 5:26. Never wanted for more gear, on either side. Plenty of low gears and once I got above 30ish in the descents, I just tucked and coasted. In fact, I regularly passed people pedaling while I was coasting down the descents.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked my compact but changed last year because wanted more gears for downhills. Don't think I ever really used them because once I got up to speed I tucked like you. If I was more comfortable on downhills and had longer downhills the 52 would make more sense but not a huge difference in either. I just know I for sure don't need a 53!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think a semi-compact is a great, all-around set up. Honestly, around our parts, a compact is kind of a waste as there are only a handful of useful gears.

But I got a screaming deal on an Ultegra crank w/ the 50/34 and figured it would come in handy for Madison. Nice thing is that I can swap out the rings on that crank to standard or compact.

Side note - my cassette was an 11/26, not a 25.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh ok. I got a rival crank in 2012 then got some used 52/36 rings on the classifieds. Happy with the switch but like you said, we only need a few gears around here.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hotel recommendations?

�There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe, and what can be more special than that there is no boundary?�- Stephen Hawking
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [Slowlane19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll put it this way, I rode 5:04 (moving time) and a compact would not have impacted my time on the descents. Probably means I pedal 20 seconds less over 5 hours. but would have made the climbs a little easier. Plus I actually rode them just a little too hard. I'm not sure how fast you'd have to go to make a compact slower on that course. 4:50?

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the new Hyatt Place on Washington - three blocks off of Capital Square - GREAT FREE Breakfast each morning and the rooms are very nice! This was the first year I stayed there and I liked it much better than the hotel at Monona Terrace. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowlane19 wrote:
Hotel recommendations?

I stayed at the Madison Concourse a few blocks from the start/finish. The location was great and the hotel was nice. Just too expensive and the rooms were too small (think of all the equipment, bike, etc... you will bring along).

During a training camp for IMWI, I stayed at the Clarion Suites (at the Alliant Energy Center). It is about 1.5 miles from the start/finish, but the hotel is excellent (big rooms, reasonable price, friendly receptionists, etc...). It is along the bike course as well. The next time I race IMWI, I'll stay at the Clarion.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Iroman Wisconsin [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's parking?
Quote Reply

Prev Next