Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track?
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of 303s FC CCs with 2,000+ miles on them since June. I've been using the Zipp Plat Pro EVO pads and on a recent replacement of pads on the front wheel I've started to get some brake residue, white streaking, etc on the brake track. Looks awful and makes horrific squeeling noises when stopping.

I called Wheelbuilder to ask about how to clean off the residue and bring back the smooth, clean-looking surface. Bennie's recommendation was Scotch Brite pad to clean the brake track. So I did that with what I would call some success. The residue is gone but it appears to have dulled the braking surface (and in a moment of stupidity the pad made contact with one of my decals and scratched it). I haven't gone for a test ride yet so I can't report the status of the noise.

What do you guys use for cleaning the brake track and removing baked on residue?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually just wipe them with acetone after a few rides to keep them clean. seems to work for me.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. Acetone. It's what Zipp uses and recommends
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wipe my wheels down with a damp rag after every ride/race along with the rest of my bike. No problems here 303FC/808FC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for all the obvious reasons, just don't train on carbon rims. you will be so much better off.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also don't ride a carbon bike in the rain. It will melt. And never EVER have fun on a training ride or stop to take a picture, have a snack, chat up a stranger, or enjoy the fresh air.

Training is serious business and should be stripped of as much enjoyment as possible.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the plus side the dull slightly scratched surface may lead to better braking! If not, you might be able to get rid of the dull with some fiber glass polish.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
for all the obvious reasons, just don't train on carbon rims. you will be so much better off.

I followed that advice for my two previous sets of carbon wheels. Locked them in my closet and only rode them on race day. Never got the fun or value out of them. So with this set of 303s I decided life is too short, these wheels depreciate fast anyway and so why not enjoy my purchase and ride them daily? Plus, they're every bit as durable as cheaper alloy wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
On the plus side the dull slightly scratched surface may lead to better braking! If not, you might be able to get rid of the dull with some fiber glass polish.

That was my thought as well. It actually looks like it would provide better braking.

I called Wheelbuilder again to make sure that the Scotch Brite idea and they confirmed and also said that in final production Zipp will lightly sand the braking surface to create a rougher surface for the brake pad. Thus, a Scotch Brite pad isn't going to do anything worse or different from what Zipp already does. I found this interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand why it's funner to ride on carbon wheels in training. They don't ride as comfortably or brake as well. I guess going 1 mile an hour faster to put the hurt on your buddies is fun, and I'm not saying that sarcastically.

I am a bike shop owner so I love it when people do ride the heck out of their carbon wheels, but nothing makes your bike ride better than a fat set of alloy tubeless or clincher rims, like HED C2s. The difference is dramatic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you guys use for cleaning the brake track and removing baked on residue?

You're supposed to do what now?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acetone +1M

Love it when a problem is solved fast and cheap. Acetone and a soft rag lifted the baked on brake residue with literally one wipe. Like magic. The wheels look brand new. I don't like the Scotch Brite idea because the fibers of the pad (if they come in contact) will scratch your decals real easy. Acetone worked very, very well.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use warm water and dish soap (same thing I wash the rest of the bike with)... I've never had any residue on the tracks though. And I do use them for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Clincher Owners - How Do You Clean Your Brake Track? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be extremely hesitant to use polish of any sort on any type of brake track. For the same reason, you want to avoid getting chain lube on your brake track. I wouldn't risk my life for the aesthetics of a brake track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand why it's funner to ride on carbon wheels in training. They don't ride as comfortably or brake as well. I guess going 1 mile an hour faster to put the hurt on your buddies is fun, and I'm not saying that sarcastically.

I am a bike shop owner so I love it when people do ride the heck out of their carbon wheels, but nothing makes your bike ride better than a fat set of alloy tubeless or clincher rims, like HED C2s. The difference is dramatic.

My ENVEs have survived a crash (from a crack in the road), a number of blowouts and a hit and run accident where I hit the back of a car doing 15mph (he pulled out in front of me and slammed on his brakes). They brake as well as any alloy wheel I've ridden and I deal with plenty of hills on almost every ride. I honestly see no reason not to ride the SES series wheels year round. I probably wouldn't put them on my rain bike when I buy it in a few weeks but they are a lot stronger then anything else I've ridden.

Oh and I spend enough time with gusting winds that it would take a hurricane to get me off my 8.9s on my TT bike (rip)
Last edited by: PeteDin206: Sep 2, 14 20:02
Quote Reply