Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does this violate USAT rules?
Quote | Reply
If I were to ride a shark during the swim portion of the race, would I be in violation of USAT rules? I see it says I am not allowed to use any motorized devices, but sharks are not motorized so I think I am in the clear.

-Peace
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [audiobahn1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
audiobahn1000 wrote:
If I were to ride a shark during the swim portion of the race, would I be in violation of USAT rules? I see it says I am not allowed to use any motorized devices, but sharks are not motorized so I think I am in the clear.

-Peace

4.9 Illegal Equipment. Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.

I'm pretty sure that sharks have fins....so no.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but he wouldn't be wearing the shark, he'd be riding the shark.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree...if a person is within the vicinity of a shark for extended periods they will most likely be inside of it.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I disagree...if a person is within the vicinity of a shark for extended periods they will most likely be inside of it.

jaretj

But surely, the shark would be wearing him then and therefore not against the rules. Although, I would like to see what happens in T1 and beyond.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone's a faster swimmer when swimming with sharks. Wouldn't riding dolphins be a little more realistic?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Everyone's a faster swimmer when swimming with sharks. Wouldn't riding dolphins be a little more realistic?

I'd kill to see the lead amateur swimmer at Kona sneak in a trained dolphin and hitch a ride and bridge up to the pro field.

I'm guessing wild dolphins won't get closer than 10 yards. Too bad you can't get them to swim just out front to get a draft.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you jump the shark?
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if I was riding a dolphin...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

But surely, the shark would be wearing him then and therefore not against the rules. Although, I would like to see what happens in T1 and beyond.

Carry a chainsaw!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
audiobahn1000 wrote:

-Peace

4.9 Illegal Equipment. Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.

jaretj

This says artificial propulsion devices. Sharks are naturally occuring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be ridiculous.

There is no way a shark would know to turn at the buoy. The time gained riding the fin (or within the draft of a dolphin, which is far more plausible anyway) would be lost by going off course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then there could be a Shark-nado and you can ride the shark on the bike course, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

The only sharks that I know of which are docile enough to let you hitch are ride, are kinda slow

No advantage

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bollocks.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General Race Rules
1. Unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of participants or their parents and supporters will not be allowed. Participants must treat others with courtesy and respect. No rude, abusive, or discourteous language or behavior will be tolerated. T or DQ at official’s discretion
2. Participants must complete the prescribed course in its entirety. DQ 3.
No personal audio devices or headsets may be used or carried during any portion of the event. T
4. No unauthorized assistance of any kind is allowed. Parents or other non-participants may not run or ride a bicycle with a participant nor may they provide participants any food, fluid, or equipment aid during competition. T
5. Race numbers must be displayed at all times. Swimmers must be clearly body-marked, cyclists must display their bike numbers, and runners must wear their bib numbers. T

I guess we have to determine if wildlife is authorized or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [triromad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triromad wrote:

I guess we have to determine if wildlife is authorized or not.

Well, you are not legally able to be paced by a gorilla.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [triromad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they don't have a paid entry then they are banditing the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spider wrote:
Don't be ridiculous.

There is no way a shark would know to turn at the buoy. The time gained riding the fin (or within the draft of a dolphin, which is far more plausible anyway) would be lost by going off course.
Just pull on his left fin to turn, like a horse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
audiobahn1000 wrote:

-Peace

In the clear? You'd have a PO'd shark trying to bite your head off. USAT is the LEAST of your worries!

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
audiobahn1000 wrote:

-Peace

jaretj

Yea but do the sharks have lazers?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Does this violate USAT rules? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
jaretj wrote:
audiobahn1000 wrote:

-Peace

jaretj

This says artificial propulsion devices. Sharks are naturally occuring

Lawyered.
Quote Reply