Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 or S5 in Klagenfurt?
Quote | Reply
Hi forum!
I have found loads of stuff here during the years, and now I have a specific question that I can't find the answer to.

I'm doing Ironman Austria next year. My fifth, but the first one not defined as "flat" (Sweden and Copenhagen).

I have a Cervèlo P3, and a Cervèlo S5.
Standard wheels and a set of HED threespokes.
I'm a rather poor cyclist, with an FTP@210 wheiging 84 kg.
My hope is to lower the wheight to 78 and raise the FTP to 220-230w.

The question is:

P3 or S5?
Ordinary wheels or threespokes?
If S5: road or tempo steering?

Or something completley different?

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or S5 in Klagenfurt? [Kniclas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Austria this year. The P3 without question and the fastest wheels you have. There is a good deal of climbing, but the descents are not technical and you can stay in aero pretty much the entire course. I underestimated the difficultly of the climbs based on course reviews I researched. It is a tough but awesome bike course. The race is spectacular all around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3, disc if you had one and deep section/trispokes. Wear your twat hat too. Fast course. There are many far hillier full distance courses where the answer would be the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As per everyone else, as aero as you can go. There's a couple of climbs but nothing too extravagant and some long, long downhills off the back of them that you'll want to profit from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only ever raced 2 triathlons where I 'might' have used a road bike. Alpe D'Huez and Embrunman. Might. I used a Tri bike on both of those because that's all I had in Europe. Use the P3.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or S5 in Klagenfurt? [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
...Use the P3.
unless you're in M30, in which case: use a MTB....

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever is your fastest tri bike, go with Disc, etc....Like everyone says here, the profile is deceiving. If the course was ridden the other way around, bike times would be 2x as slow. The hills are a bit steep, but relatively short with a lot of slight decents (not super steep so you can pedal hard) you can smash in aero position. Looks like more climbing than a course like IM Germany/Frankfurt, but times are usually faster because of the type of hills.

I've done Austria, Germany, and Copenhagen. I'd say Copenhagen is flat/fast (never got out of big gear), Austria is fast but nice variety (short steep hills/long descents, and Germany is pretty balanced and a not hilly but a fair course. All 3 have flat runs. Austria has a gorgeous lake swim, but gets super crowded in the canal the final 800-1200m.
Quote Reply