Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Inputs for a new possible Tri bike setup [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:
I assume no matter how good a biker you are,
if you bike starts to get thrown around, most would get back on the hoods?

________

I would think if you are comfortable on your bike and are to a skill level that is equal to your comfort level on said bike, you should be able to handle *most* wind conditions that occur during races. Or shall I say, I don't think it's that windy enough at races to have you getting back on your hoods. Yes there are races out there that it's howling, but to me what your describing is a lack of skill on the bike.

I figured that is what some would say.

That's because it's true.

Your training methodology works to get you pretty good at *pedaling* a bike; it does less than nothing for your ability to *ride* a bike.
There's a big difference.

You want to be a better descender, and more confident on windy days?
The trainer rides don't train you for that. You need to practice that stuff.
You don't get better at things by not doing them.

Optimized gear (good brakes, maybe a 404FC or similar instead of the 808 on windy days) will help a little - but having a better trained, more experienced pilot will help a lot more.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Inputs for a new possible Tri bike setup [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
P3 frame and switch components, or P3 Ultegra mechanical. It's a really nice bike, great for travel, easy to fit... I built up a P3 frame with Ultegra Di2 and Zipp Vukabull and Vuka alumina extensions front end. Di2 is my only regret. I love 6870 Di2; I really wasn't expecting it to be so good, but it added quite a bit of cost onto the build and I think I would have loved the overall bike as much with Ultegra 6800. Maybe regret is a strong word... perhaps I feel a little guilty for the extra spend. But, hey, it's not crack and hookers I'm blowing my spare cash on so I can live with it.

I think P3 with Ultegra mech is a good package.

Everyone today I talked with at the race with Di2 LOVES them and would never go back. I asked about price and no one really seemed to care.

Saw no 11 speeds yet.

I sure see lots of cervelos at the race. Way more than it seems of any other bike type.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
kyle h wrote:
You likely won't find anything deeper than a 303 with a disc hub. Disc brakes on a tt bike aren't worth it, and a 50/34 and 11-32 cassette is so much gearing. If you're not doing Savageman and Alp de Huez I can't see why on earth you would need that much. 50/35 and 11-25 would get my vote.

Why on earth would I need a 50/34 11/32? Because being older and not a great biker, I use the 32 all the time for hills like 8% to spin high RPM.
I just LOVED spinning by SO many climbing the 8% hill at Edmonton yesterday who has smaller gears. So IMO for 99% of us average folks, the 50/34
11/32 setup covers 100% of ANY race needs.

What rear derailer do you currently have? You will want to make sure your new one can handle the 32T. Due to your wish for "unconventional" gearing, you would want to make sure it will work on one of the newer bikes/frames/derailers. Here is a good article to understand the capacity of derailers. http://sheldonbrown.com/...s_ca-g.html#capacity.

+1 on staying with 10sp. There is no performance benefit on upgrading to 11sp, and IMO not worth the price. Keep your wheels and save some cash. Good luck.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was really sceptical about Di2 - basically, the groups I ride with have a high concentration of guys who are weekend warriors with nice bikes, so everyone just said the same, "It's amazing. You know, when you're really tired at the end of a long ride..." etc... and I just though that I never get that problem...

It is very good and I was surprised at how much I really liked having it. For me, I liked the simple disconnect to remove the rear mech for travelling, etc... Installing it was very easy and also shifting from the hoods is useful. Having said all that, for me, it's a luxury rather than a must have. I'll probably go with Di2 on my next road bike, so I suppose that says something. I just think I would love my P3 just as much if it were mechanical. The P3 and Zipp Vuka aerobars? Now those I will rave about!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a Tri bike... unless you plan on doing crazy climbing on it... in which case i would recommend a road bike with clip ons... I think you should stick with a standard 53/39 front. Additionally 32 is a big cog... unless your doing climbing an 11/25 is your best bet. Electronic shifting is incredible.... Disc brakes not so important.
Quote Reply
Re: Inputs for a new possible Tri bike setup [m091554] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m091554 wrote:
For a Tri bike... unless you plan on doing crazy climbing on it... in which case i would recommend a road bike with clip ons... I think you should stick with a standard 53/39 front. Additionally 32 is a big cog... unless your doing climbing an 11/25 is your best bet. Electronic shifting is incredible.... Disc brakes not so important.

Yes, for this old guy, and the races, training I do, it is crazy climbing. I would NEVER go back to anything other than a 50/34 I would never go back to anything other
than a 11/32. I use all of these gears in most of my races since they all have big hills. Young strong folks might not need but I care about running off the bike and so far, very few no matter what age beat me so I will stick with my results and what has worked for me!

What is interesting is the new 11 speed has 11/32 as a normal cassette you can get.

Even though the Di2 is more money, if I am going to spend the money, might as go for it since this would probably be the last bike I buy.

Now, is anything new coming out in 2015 to wait for since my racing is just about done for the season.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2015 Felt B2? Comes with DI2 for under $4K
Quote Reply
Re: Inputs for a new possible Tri bike setup [JKinGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JKinGA wrote:
2015 Felt B2? Comes with DI2 for under $4K

Wow, that is a lot cheaper than a Cervelo P3 which is $5800 with Di2

Quote Reply

Prev Next