Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding Alpe d'Huez -- anyone been there?
Quote | Reply
Hey Folks-
I'm going to be in Bern, Switzerland for a few days in early October, and I have a free day. I'd love to rent a bike and go up Alpe d'Huez, which looks like it'll be about a 3 hr drive from where I'm staying. Can anyone on the board recommend a rental shop and logistics? How's the weather in early October? thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding Alpe d'Huez -- anyone been there? [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing. Do it.

That being said, when you're in the Alps, you're never more than about 5km away from some ridiculous climb of some sort. So in that sense, not sure that a big logistical and time push for AdH is worth it when you can rent a bike anywhere and go shatter yourself on some ridiculously steep and long climb.

THAT being said, if the lore of AdH is what's luring you, do it.

:)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Riding Alpe d'Huez -- anyone been there? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really I just want to get out and do something epic while I'm there. Suggestions appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the main road on Bourg d'Oisans there is a bike shop that rents fairly decent Trek carbon bikes with triple chainrings (really awesome to have in the Alps). I can't remember the name of the place. It might be on this thread that I posted in 2007. I say you do it. Oct may be chilly up top, but dress warm and hopefully it is too early in the year for snow.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Saturday_on_the_Galibier....8.5_hours,_175K,_70_kph,_16,000_ft_of_climbing_and_a_herd_of_cows....lots_of_pics_P1494997-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can rent a bike at Cycles et Sports. You should be able to walk in and rent, but for less stress, email the shop ahead of time. Ask for Dan, and tell him that Jimmy sent you. Dan speaks English well, and is one of the best mechanics I've ever met.

Enjoy.
--------

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Jimmy they are a great shop. We rented from them earlier in the summer and booked online. They have a good selection of bikes which are all relatively high end. We rented Pinarello Dogmas from them which were awesome.

Great place to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you park near the shop, you can ride from the shop to the base of ADH - which is pretty straightforward - one traffic circle to negotiate on the way out of town. There is a 'Departe' banner at the base of the climb on the right, green I think, and a checkered finish line on the road in town at the top a bit past the first rows of shops (near the fountain and by the podium). Fair warning, the first 4 switchbacks are the worst (to me).

Sometimes there is a photographer on one of the upper switchbacks (or a couple of them) that will take a pic with the valley and banner behind on you one turn, then hand you a card to tuck in your pocket. It's a cool way to get a live action shot of you on the historic climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have some extra time and if you don't have a need to to do the descent back down AdH, consider heading out the backside past the airport and keep climbing up and over the Col de Sarenne . Goes up a little bit more, then you have a long downhill. Road condition won't be as good at AdH so just be careful. You come down across a dam then back into Bd'O. A little bit more riding and if the weather is good, getting a little bit higher up gives you some views. Have fun.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbed alp d'huez about 3 yrs ago during July . Weather was perfect and I rented a trek from http://www.cyclesetsports.com/en/479-bike-hire. Shop was great and most everyone spoke English (fortunately due to my very poor ability to speak French). The shop is in town and very convenient to the base of the alp

Have fun

https://twitter.com/Chippey1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few bike shops in Bourg d'Oisans which is the town at the foot of the climb. Make sure your carry on up to the proper finish - there is a finish banner as you get in to the ski village but the tour finish is further on.

While it is iconic I wouldn't say it was my favourite climb in the area - the other climb that comes into the ski village from the otherside seemed harder, less busyand more picturess. The Crois de fer topped it in my opinion and the telegraph/galibier is more of a challenge - did a mimi marmote type route Boug d'Oisans - Croix de fer - telegraph - Galibier and back to d' Oisan. With road works re-route on route to telegraph it came up just under 110 miles - unfortunately my current back issues made it a bit of a struggle otherwise I would have added d'Huez.
Quote Reply